OT: Is This The Best Bread Bakery In The World? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Is This The Best Bread Bakery In The World?

The best bread in America is Madonia Brothers on Arthur Avenue in The Bronx.
everything north of Arthur Ave isnt worth discussing anywho.

When in Buffalo, stop in at the Bread Hive (123 Baines Street) for some artisan bread, bagels and granola. My daughter-in-law is a co-owner/operator.

Ok. So where the heck is this place??
not too far from the Dinosaur on near the 81 on ramp heading north....basically right across from the ramp a little ways past it

Pearl St. and i drove right by it today

Last edited:
If we're talking donuts, Gingerbread Bake Shop Oneida Street in Utica.

If we're talking donuts, Gingerbread Bake Shop Oneida Street in Utica.
Half moons are the best at Gingerbread. They were the original owners of Hemstraughs (spelling error I'm sure). I have happy thoughts of that place.

Half moons are the best at Gingerbread. They were the original owners of Hemstraughs (spelling error I'm sure). I have happy thoughts of that place.
You were close - Hemstrought's. They are credited with originating Half Moons. As you probably know, in NYC they call them black & whites but the recipe is a bit different - (you can break your teeth on the frosting).

I don't have a dog in this fight but hey, feels like a good time to say if any of you are ever in Red Hook (not the section of NYC, but the town north of Poughkeepsie), my best friend from childhood is the owner/operator of a bakery and wine bar called Bread and Bottle. I've never gotten to try his food there, but from the pictures he puts on Facebook, it looks freaking incredible. And cheap. With trivia nights.

/shillingforafriend

Mark-
Thanks for the reminder! I happen to be in the Cuse this weekend and stopped by Columbus on the way to my Moms house. My kids loved it and we ate an entire loaf on the way home! I love this board for the Cuse sports info but I also love it for the local syracuse flavor and memories. Keep them coming.

Florange44

Ultimate Sangwich...Loaf of Columbus Flat Bread, about 5-6 layers of thinly sliced extra hot Venetian Soppresata and extra sharp provolone from Lombardi's and absolutely zero condiments.

Best. Sangwich. Ever.

Sangwich = Must be pronounced "Sang - Weech" for proper effect.

I don't have a dog in this fight but hey, feels like a good time to say if any of you are ever in Red Hook (not the section of NYC, but the town north of Poughkeepsie), my best friend from childhood is the owner/operator of a bakery and wine bar called Bread and Bottle. I've never gotten to try his food there, but from the pictures he puts on Facebook, it looks freaking incredible. And cheap. With trivia nights.

/shillingforafriend

I am regularly in the Dutchess County version of Red Hook and you're right about that.

Ultimate Sangwich...Loaf of Columbus Flat Bread, about 5-6 layers of thinly sliced extra hot Venetian Soppresata and extra sharp provolone from Lombardi's and absolutely zero condiments.

Best. Sangwich. Ever.

Sangwich = Must be pronounced "Sang - Weech" for proper effect.

Now dat's a sammich!

Columbus does a tailgate special that is unbeatable. They give you a couple loaves of bread and a big thing of their homemade meatballs and sauce. makes me want to cry its so good.

Wait what? Columbus does a tailgate special? How Much? I'm stopping for the home opener!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom