OT: Jon "Bones" Jones gets into a brawl | Syracusefan.com

OT: Jon "Bones" Jones gets into a brawl

His beating of Shogun Rua was epic. He beat the bejesus out of that guy and only broke a sweat - not a mark on him!

I'm struggling to think of things less advisable than provoking Jon Jones.

Jones was going to dominate Cormier regardless. This is just incredibly stupid on DC's part. Guess he's just trying to make a name for himself but if you make Jon Jones this mad at a press conference (usually a mild-mannered person) I can't want to see what he does to you in the ring.

Its interesting to watch the change in JBJ's personality since his fight with Vera. He has very much bought into the "Bones" persona.

He has become more arrogant as time goes on.

But I guess that's what happens when you are the baddest person on the planet.

I've been a huge fan of Jones from the beginning, but Cormier is one guy that I thought could definitely give him trouble, ever since he moved from Heavyweight to Light Heavyweight

I think Cormier surprises people. It's definetely Jon's fight to lose...but DC will have something for him.

I think people in this thread are seriously underestimating Cormier. He will be Jones' biggest test by far even more so than Gustaffson was, this guy has been dominating top heavyweights, is one of the best college wrestlers ever, and trains with a bunch of other top end competitors. Odds wise this is also Jones' closest fight, with jones only a -170 favorite which is close to pick em. With all that said though, I still think Jones wins by using his length to keep Cormier off of him.

I'm not saying it's the case here, but a lot of times these brawls are scripted to generate more interest in the card.

Maybe it's part of Cormier's strategy, get the usually level headed Jones off his mark into making a mistake while being overly aggressive.

Did anyone else catch DC throwing his shoe at the end of the video? LOL. I wish I would've gotten to see what happened at the bottom of the scrum.

Cormier is definitely no slug, he's a legit opponent. I don't agree that he's a bigger test than Gustaffson because many people would argue that Gustaffson beat Jones and Cormier hasn't proven anything yet. Regardless, he has a shot to give Jones trouble and put him down.

It's funny that in the last couple of years or so, more and more people I know want to see Jones lose. Not because everyone likes to root against the underdog but because he seems to have become at least a little arrogant and disrespectful.

Cormier is definitely no slug, he's a legit opponent. I don't agree that he's a bigger test than Gustaffson because many people would argue that Gustaffson beat Jones and Cormier hasn't proven anything yet. Regardless, he has a shot to give Jones trouble and put him down.

It's funny that in the last couple of years or so, more and more people I know want to see Jones lose. Not because everyone likes to root against the underdog but because he seems to have become at least a little arrogant and disrespectful.
I think your wrong saying Cormier hasn't proved anything, he dominated Josh Barnett and Bigfoot Silva who are both monstrous guys and really good heavyweights, rag dolled frank Mir and Roy Nelson, and then choked out Dan Henderson who granted is not the same fighter as he used to be. Coming into the fight with jones, Cormier is worlds more proven than Gustaffson was when he faced Jones.

I think your wrong saying Cormier hasn't proved anything, he dominated Josh Barnett and Bigfoot Silva who are both monstrous guys and really good heavyweights, rag dolled frank Mir and Roy Nelson, and then choked out Dan Henderson who granted is not the same fighter as he used to be. Coming into the fight with jones, Cormier is worlds more proven than Gustaffson was when he faced Jones.

Your misinterpreting what I said. I said Cormier is a legit opponent and for the reasons that you listed. My point about Gustaffson is from a comment someone else made that Cormier is more of a threat. Cormier is no threat until he does something in the cage against Jones. Gustaffson did that and possibly beat Jones, Cormier might but he hasn't yet. So is not a bigger threat because Gustaffson is the biggest threat Jones has ever faced.

Actually Jones is the instigator in this and the one who will feel the wrath of the UFC and the Nevada Commission. Jones put his forehead on Cormier's which led Cormier to react the way he did. That's on Jones. Then before their ESPN SportsCenter face to face...those who saw the live feed before the interview began (I guess ESPN sent out the tape to the UFC and Commission upon request) saw Jones talk an amazing amount of trash, be totally vulgar, then once they went live on the air, he goes into his mono-tone voice saying he is sorry. Not to mention all day yesterday Jones was putting up vulgar tweets and removing them a bit later. So Cormier would see them, react, Jones removes them and says I don't know what your talking about. Jones totally instigates and his "nice-guy" routine has been blown up. It has been for about a year now but yesterday got him in more hot water than Cormier.

Actually Jones is the instigator in this and the one who will feel the wrath of the UFC and the Nevada Commission. Jones put his forehead on Cormier's which led Cormier to react the way he did. That's on Jones. Then before their ESPN SportsCenter face to face...those who saw the live feed before the interview began (I guess ESPN sent out the tape to the UFC and Commission upon request) saw Jones talk an amazing amount of trash, be totally vulgar, then once they went live on the air, he goes into his mono-tone voice saying he is sorry. Not to mention all day yesterday Jones was putting up vulgar tweets and removing them a bit later. So Cormier would see them, react, Jones removes them and says I don't know what your talking about. Jones totally instigates and his "nice-guy" routine has been blown up. It has been for about a year now but yesterday got him in more hot water than Cormier.

I love Jones, guy is a great fighter and self promoter, has the ability to be a nice guy when he wants ( who I really think he is outside of UFC, which isn't a business for nice guys, call me crazy) and then go to trash talking tweets. All part of the game really, his career is short in a few years it will all be over, maximize, self promote for a future career. I think the whole thing was a bit orchestrated as well. That said, I don't know if he has a cake walk with this guy. Jones is the only UFC fighter I ever watch, I don't care much for it but I like Jones as he is local and the connections

What happens beforehand is irrelevant.

Just a thought, isn't this like the 3rd time Cormier has been in altercations during stare-downs? Answer- Yes.

How many altercations at stare-downs for Jones? Yep Zero before this one.

Second thing, I can guarantee you that 99% of people would have retaliated and come to blows if someone grabs them by the neck and shoves them. Head butting and nose to nose touching and pushing are nothing new in stare downs, been going on since bare knuckle boxing matches.

Cormier took this to another level, not Jones. He reacted like almost any man would have after being grabbed by the neck and shoved.

Just a thought, isn't this like the 3rd time Cormier has been in altercations during stare-downs? Answer- Yes.

How many altercations at stare-downs for Jones? Yep Zero before this one.

Second thing, I can guarantee you that 99% of people would have retaliated and come to blows if someone grabs them by the neck and shoves them. Head butting and nose to nose touching and pushing are nothing new in stare downs, been going on since bare knuckle boxing matches.

Cormier took this to another level, not Jones. He reacted like almost any man would have after being grabbed by the neck and shoved.

Previous altercations or lack of altercations determines who is responsible for current behavior?

Obviously you are all for Jones in this thing, which is fine. But suggesting Cormier grabbed him by the neck and then shoved him is pretty dramatic. At no point did he grab his neck. He shoved him and one hand he was shoving with made contact with his neck but he didn't even come close to actually "grabbing" his neck. If you want to contend that what Jones did is commonplace and typical behavior in press conferences and Cormier is the one who over reacted; you could argue that Cormier pushing Jones to get him out of his face is also the reaction of 99% of the people who receive a forehead to their skull.

Jones is in the very least as culpable in this as Cormier.

Previous altercations or lack of altercations determines who is responsible for current behavior?

Obviously you are all for Jones in this thing, which is fine. But suggesting Cormier grabbed him by the neck and then shoved him is pretty dramatic. At no point did he grab his neck. He shoved him and one hand he was shoving with made contact with his neck but he didn't even come close to actually "grabbing" his neck. If you want to contend that what Jones did is commonplace and typical behavior in press conferences and Cormier is the one who over reacted; you could argue that Cormier pushing Jones to get him out of his face is also the reaction of 99% of the people who receive a forehead to their skull.

Jones is in the very least as culpable in this as Cormier.

I am not saying Jones is not guilty of anything. I am not saying that what happened before he grabbed his neck was right and yes he grabbed his neck. How often do you shove someone and have your fingers on the side of someone's neck? He may have shoved after he grabbed him but he definitely grabbed his neck. Looks like a grab to me and I saw the video many times, there is no mistaking it.

images

I am not saying Jones is not guilty of anything. I am not saying that what happened before he grabbed his neck was right and yes he grabbed his neck. How often do you shove someone and have your fingers on the side of someone's neck? He may have shoved after he grabbed him but he definitely grabbed his neck. Looks like a grab to me and I saw the video many times, there is no mistaking it.

images

No big deal, we'll agree to disagree. I watched the video again before i posted originally and it didn't come off to me as grabbing his neck. Touching his neck in the midst of a shove but not grabbing his neck specifically.

The only thing I care about is that it's an exciting fight.

I could take on Jones, his 2 brothers, Jonathan Thomas, Shy and the Mountain with one arm tied behind my back.

You contradict yourself in the first 2 sentences. Anyway...

One of corner guys for Jones was holding Cormier down so Jones could get open and free shots at him in the scrum. Look, Jones is 100% guilty here. I know this is a pro-Jones board because his family all went to SU and all. But Jones is 100% in the wrong and will pay the price. I don't know how close some of you follow MMA but the whole "Jones nice-guy" act has been blown up by Rashad Evans (his former partner), Dan Henderson, Rampage, and now Cormier. Everyone says he is really a bad guy, an ass, and is 100% fake in the way he acts. Everyone ain't working together and lying. As soon as Jones put his forehead on Cormier's forehead...everything resulted because of that action. Jones corner-man will probably be suspended and I expect Jones to get a larger fine than Cormier.

With all of that said, anyone who follows MMA knows Cormier has almost no shot in their match. Jones is bigger, younger, and has far superior skills. Cormier's biggest win is vs an old/washed up Dan Henderson. Jones will win easily. Doesn't change the fact Jones is 100% guilty and the reason for yesterday's altercation.

That is just ignoring reality

Last edited:
You contradict yourself in the first 2 sentences. Anyway...

One of corner guys for Jones was holding Cormier down so Jones could get open and free shots at him in the scrum. Look, Jones is 100% guilty here. I know this is a pro-Jones board because his family all went to SU and all. But Jones is 100% in the wrong and will pay the price. I don't know how close some of you follow MMA but the whole "Jones nice-guy" act has been blown up by Rashed Jones (his former partner), Dan Henderson, Rampage, and now Cormier. Everyone says he is really a bad guy, an ass, and is 100% fake in the way he acts. Everyone ain't working together and lying. As soon as Jones put his forehead on Cormier's forehead...everything resulted because of that action. Jones corner-man will probably be suspended and I expect Jones to get a larger fine than Cormier.

With all of that said, anyone who follows MMA knows Cormier has almost no shot in their match. Jones is bigger, younger, and has far superior skills. Cormier's biggest win is vs an old/washed up Dan Henderson. Jones will win easily. Doesn't change the fact Jones is 100% guilty and the reason for yesterday's altercation.

That is just ignoring reality
First off Jones' former training partners name was Rashad Evans. As far as suspensions, the only thing that will happen is that both fighters will get fined, I highly doubt any cornermen or jones' manager will be suspended. This so called scrum is working out beautifully for the ufc, (and I'm not saying it was staged, though it very well could've been) this fight is getting a lot more attention than it would have if this didn't happen.

Also I've watched mma for quite some time and I think Cormier has a legit shot to beat Jones, I still favor jones but I wouldn't be shocked if Cormier wins. If you think cormier's best win is Henderson I don't think you've been watching the sport for very long.