OT: Kentucky Derby | Syracusefan.com

OT: Kentucky Derby

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Any thoughts?

Bodemeister (4-1) is the favorite and has the fastest and most consistent Beyer ratings. However if he wins he will be the first horse in 130 years to not run as a two year old.

Union Rags. (9-2) 2nd favorite. Would be the favorite but was upset by Take Charge Indy (15-1) in the Florida Derby. Take Charge Indy is an interesting pick since he will be ridden by Calvin Borel who as most people know has won three of the last five Kentucky Derbies. Many feel that Take Charge Indy would have to run an absolute perfect race to win but you could say that about any horse in this 20 horse field.

Creative Cause (12-1) is the only horse to have beaten Bodemeister so that warrants some consideration. However in his last race he lost to I'll Have Another (12-1) who has won his last two races.

Gemologist (6-1) is the only horse that is undefeated and has won twice on this track.

I'm not convinced yet which way I am going, but I really like Bodemeister and Take Charge Indy. However, I know some people think Union Rags is still the best horse in the field, so I might use him in some exacta combos as well. Still plenty of time to decide.

581324_10150906027928855_170766733854_9705810_1034508017_n.jpg

Any thoughts?

Bodemeister (4-1) is the favorite and has the fastest and most consistent Beyer ratings. However if he wins he will be the first horse in 130 years to not run as a two year old.

Union Rags. (9-2) 2nd favorite. Would be the favorite but was upset by Take Charge Indy (15-1) in the Florida Derby. Take Charge Indy is an interesting pick since he will be ridden by Calvin Borel who as most people know has won three of the last five Kentucky Derbies. Many feel that Take Charge Indy would have to run an absolute perfect race to win but you could say that about any horse in this 20 horse field.

Creative Cause (12-1) is the only horse to have beaten Bodemeister so that warrants some consideration. However in his last race he lost to I'll Have Another (12-1) who has won his last two races.

Gemologist (6-1) is the only horse that is undefeated and has won twice on this track.

I'm not convinced yet which way I am going, but I really like Bodemeister and Take Charge Indy. However, I know some people think Union Rags is still the best horse in the field, so I might use him in some exacta combos as well. Still plenty of time to decide.
I like Union Rags. I am pro union, pro Rags and pro stainless stain urine troughs. What else do you need?

Winnipeg Pines for Carrier Dome Pee Troughs

Daddy Long Legs - A decent movie with Fred Astaire and a very cute Leslie Caron.

Take Charge Indy - Sounds like a tip of the hat to Indiana Jones.

Hansen - There is no way a horse named after a terrible boy band can be any good.

Prospective - Simply doesn't sound confident enough.

Union Rags will not be able to sustain pace the whole way

Any thoughts?

The speed, besides Trinniberg, will need to show some restraint and not got involved in a suicidal speed duel with him.

I am keying Bodemeister to win and place over Creative Cause, Gemologist and Sabercat. I didn't include Union rags depsite his local, same as Barbaro, connections.

I locked in Gemologist to win @ 12/1 in the 3rd future pool.

The Derby is always a crapshoot, too many horses, there should be a limit of 14 but owners want to say they ran in the Derby. But it's the Derby so you have to bet, but I look forward to the Preakness and belmont much more.

Any thoughts?

My thoughts on the derby is that is the greatest road trip anyone could ever take.

i went twice and in my mind, i'm at the kentucky oaks wandering around the infield 15 mint juleps in right now

What a compliment to Raggs considering you aren't chosing your own brother "sabercat".
Yes, as Raggs' campaign manager, I am steadfast behind him and his horse. If I were a betting man, I would put 5 samollians on Raggs and 1 on Saber.

"hoof hearted? southerland!" would be a good name for a horse.

I'm going with Hansen. Cool-looking white horse... and I used to have a boyfriend whose last name was Hansen.

Yes, this is how women select their racing bets! (By appearance and names).

I'm going with Hansen. Cool-looking white horse... and I used to have a boyfriend whose last name was Hansen.

That's probably as good a method as any.

That's probably as good a method as any.
Hey, last year, I won the ENTIRE pool (fairly large) at a Kentucky Derby party because I was the only one who had Animal Kingdon. I bet on him because I like animals.

I have a Soldier named Hansen... To put it nicely, he is slow as hell

if you love animals, then you should not support this terrible, terrible industry

deathanddisarray.jpg
that having been said, I will pass this nugget along to you: for those of you who don't know, I run a horse ranch here in southern california. one of my boarders rescues broken down thoroughbreds and rehabs them at our facility until he finds retirement homes for them. although he is no longer directly involved in the racing industry, he used to be both an owner and a trainer out at Santa Anita, and he maintains connections there. he tells me that Daddy Long Legs is an excellent dark horse candidate. Doesn't know if he can win having drawn that 1 post, but he has him placed in a number of trifectas and superfectas. Says that Aidan O'Brien is an outstanding trainer and that the owners of that horse wouldn't have flown him all the way over here (he's an Irish horse who most recently ran in Dubai) unless they believed they could do something with him. Take it FWIW.

quick story about the 2007 Preakness *used to be the rowdiest sporting event ever): as soon as we got to the infield, i looked at the races and gave my gf (now wife) a number to pick 1-15ish (the number of races). i think she picked the 8th race. I looked at that race and how many horses were racing, i told her to pick a number 1-20 (number of horses). I am going to say she picked 11. The horses name was Mending Fences. Perfect. I put $50 on her to win at 11/1.

As that race was about to start, we made our way towards the track. We were about 80% to the finish line and right in front of a big screen. She ran a perfect race. Took a commanding lead about 1/2 way in and was leading by 6-8 lengths when she got to us. MF was about 30 ft right in front of us running beautifully when she went down head first, jockey flipped over her, and both were run over by the horses running behind.

WIthin seconds they brought out the tarp and the trailer and we watched them euthonize her. My gf cried.

Thankfully, I won big on the main race later that day when Curlin won by a whisker.

Alpha ... had a terrible trip in the Wood and still challenged Gemologist (of note... Gemologist jockey taken to hospital in race prior to Kentucky Oaks today).

Union Rags.

Also keep an eye on Daddy Nose Best (wise guy horse), Dullahan (reminds me of Paddy O'Prado, 3rd place finisher in 2010), Take Charge Indy and obviously Bodemeister.

I want no part of Hansen.

This is a great crop of 3 year olds this year. I don't think this is the year to bank on a long shot to win it. Too much talent up top. That said, since there is so much speed, I can see one of the longer shots (Prospective, Sabercat?) coming on late to pass the speed horses to finish 3rd for 4th.

The #3 horse. Calvin is up and already starts close to the rail.

In a race where it appears the early speed (and anyone in the front half of the field) is likely to falter I'm going to play around with deep closers Alpha, Done Talking and Daddy Nose Best, all of whom will be pretty big prices.

Good luck to all and here's to a safe race.

A friend of mine use to write the blurbs for Monmouth, and is now in LA doing broadcasting and writing at Santa Anita...he says Gemologist is a very good bet today

WIthin seconds they brought out the tarp and the trailer and we watched them euthonize her.

At first, I thought you were talking about your girlfriend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marz44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom