OT: Kentucky Derby | Syracusefan.com

OT: Kentucky Derby

SUintheVille

Former 'Blue Light Special' Announcer
Who are you betting on for the Derby? I'm thinking Dortmund and Firing Line.

It's been a number of years, but I've been to the Derby several times, and the Kentucky Oaks a few times as well. Dressed up, not just the infield. Always a good people watching day. Great atmosphere. Wish I was invited to a number of gala parties going on around town, but unfortunately, I'm a nobody. :(

I've got Frosted to win, International Star and Far Right to show.

It's been a number of years, but I've been to the Derby several times, and the Kentucky Oaks a few times as well. Dressed up, not just the infield. Always a good people watching day. Great atmosphere. Wish I was invited to a number of gala parties going on around town, but unfortunately, I'm a nobody. :(
No Syracuse fan is a nobody.
Who else is there to wear orange to their parties?
Their loss.

Meanwhile...Meadowlands Racetrack has a nice racket going today.
$40 admission to daytime buffet, derby party and full card of harness racing.
Then another $25 admission at 9PM for the buffet and Pacquiao-Mayweather fight.
Despite their best efforts the NJ crowds are going to look a little different than Louisville.

8 - Dortmund
12 - Int'l Star
15 - Frosted
18 - Amer Pharoah

8-18-12
18-8-12
8-18-15
18-8-15

Dortmund and AP clearly the best of a top heavy group. Frosted and Int'l Star can sit just off the pace. Still unsure of what the pace scenario will be but I am thinking moderate, 23, 47, 112.

Firing Line or Upstart. Biggest question of the race is will American Pharoah be patient enough to let the early speed go to the inside. If so, could be tough. In addition, Dortmund being so big can he maneuver in a 20 horse field. He may go to lead and never look back.

That said, I would never take less than 10-1 in derby too chaotic.

Can anyone tell me why this is on the CBB board?
1) Because it is Derby Day.

2) Because there is no Derby board.

3) Because there is no SU basketball happening this weekend... and we need entertainment.

4) Plus he identified it as OT ... therefore you were properly warned that it is "off-topic."

Last edited:
I have to go with Upstart.

Upstart was born about two miles from where I was born. That's as good a reason as any.

Too bad that he has gotten stuck with the #18 post position. Nothing good ever happens out there.

I have to go with Upstart.

Upstart was born about two miles from where I was born. That's as good a reason as any.

Too bad that he has gotten stuck with the #18 post position. Nothing good ever happens out there.

Three ny bred horses in derby this year. Upstart could win. 2nd in Florida derby, won the holy bull but was taken down because of interference. So many horses some continuing to get better some have peaked.

Outside post? Big brown didn't mind it but he was a freak of nature. ORB was 16 hole too.

I see 3 horses. pharoh, dortmund, materiality who can win. figure out which one wont fire today and then go after the super.

the pts system has gotten rid of the crazy horse that messes up the pace

3) Because there is no SU basketball happening this weekend... and we need entertainment.

4) Plus he identified it as OT ... therefore you were properly warned that it is "off-topic."
Thank you Joyce. I know this should have been on the Other Sports board, but wanted the thread to get more exposure and responses. It's the biggest sports event this weekend.

I see 3 horses. pharoh, dortmund, materiality who can win. figure out which one wont fire today and then go after the super.

the pts system has gotten rid of the crazy horse that messes up the pace

Materiality is a real wild card, nothing would surprise me with him including a huge bounce. Still very raw, kind of reminds me of palace malice from 2 years ago, I think his best days are in front of him. Huge speed figures though, I see international star somewhere near 3rd or4th, he's a grinder

I will say, Dortmund has a ton of heart too. He won't go down easily. Undefeated, won on the lead, closing, off pace. Had lead, lost it, got it back. He's so gd big and strides so huge, he can be tough on the lead..the distance will be the question. Would be great to see him and ap lock up at the stretch.

Derby day!!!!

Last edited:
One of my favorite experiences at the Derby was in 1999. We were in a box with some friends at track level near the finish line. A long shot Charismatic was running that year. I did an exacta box (one of my favorite types of bets - pick 3 horses, 2 must come in 1st and 2nd) with him, Menifee, and a 3rd horse. Our group liked to pick a long shot in a bet besides more of the favorites just in case. Well, when Charismatic won, my wife and I were happy, but she didn't realize what we won. I looked at the results board and what an exacta paid. I was like oh my. Since Charismatic beat Menifee (more of a favorite) and not the other way around, we won close to $800. Not like we won in the thousands or anything because I don't put down big bets, but that was still great for us. We got the $100 bills and my wife waved them around in our box and got her picture taken with a local TV anchor who was sitting in front of us. The cash helped us pay for Disney World tickets later that summer with our kids. I did OK at the Oaks a couple years ago too. Always fun to stand near the elevator that takes lots of celebs up to Millionaires Row as well.

Not going to the Derby today, but am hosting a party at our house with a bunch of neighbors. No big betting, but there will be some pull-a-horse-out-of-a-hat betting for sure. And plenty of food, Lillies and other good drinks (have to have bourbon living in KY, but I don't like mint juleps). So it should be fun. Plus the weather is gorgeous today.

One of my favorite experiences at the Derby was in 1999. We were in a box with some friends at track level near the finish line. A long shot Charismatic was running that year. I did an exacta box (one of my favorite types of bets - pick 3 horses, 2 must come in 1st and 2nd) with him, Menifee, and a 3rd horse. Our group liked to pick a long shot in a bet besides more of the favorites just in case. Well, when Charismatic won, my wife and I were happy, but she didn't realize what we won. I looked at the results board and what an exacta paid. I was like oh my. Since Charismatic beat Menifee (more of a favorite) and not the other way around, we won close to $800. Not like we won in the thousands or anything because I don't put down big bets, but that was still great for us. We got the $100 bills and my wife waved them around in our box and got her picture taken with a local TV anchor who was sitting in front of us. The cash helped us pay for Disney World tickets later that summer with our kids. I did OK at the Oaks a couple years ago too. Always fun to stand near the elevator that takes lots of celebs up to Millionaires Row as well.

Not going to the Derby today, but am hosting a party at our house with a bunch of neighbors. No big betting, but there will be some pull-a-horse-out-of-a-hat betting for sure. And plenty of food, Lillies and other good drinks (have to have bourbon living in KY, but I don't like mint juleps). So it should be fun. Plus the weather is gorgeous today.

Great, enjoy. Went last year had a blast.

AP, International Star and Mubtaahij box.

Can anyone tell me why this is on the CBB board?
You seem awfully concerned with what is on the CBB board today...

Thread title said it all. Don't click on it.

8 - Dortmund
12 - Int'l Star
15 - Frosted
18 - Amer Pharoah

8-18-12
18-8-12
8-18-15
18-8-15

Dortmund and AP clearly the best of a top heavy group. Frosted and Int'l Star can sit just off the pace. Still unsure of what the pace scenario will be but I am thinking moderate, 23, 47, 112.
Just placed my bet following your advice. Let's hope you're right!

OburgOrange said:

International Star scratched. Did you bet online?

Revised:

My brother in law just touted me on Far Right, so...

$2 Tri partial wheel keying 8 to win over 15-18-20
$2 Tri partial wheel keying 18 to win over 8-15-20

$24

Revised:

My brother in law just touted me on Far Right, so...

$2 Tri partial wheel keying 8 to win over 15-18-20
$2 Tri partial wheel keying 18 to win over 8-15-20

$24
I've included Far Right as well. Also big mistake not throwing a couple bucks on it's a knockout on the biggest boxing day in years.

No, but there's an "other sports" board. It's reason for existence I'm not entirely sure of.

No, but there's an "other sports" board. It's reason for existence I'm not entirely sure of.
It's a slow time of year. If this had been posted the day before the Duke game, it probably would have been moved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom