OT: Maryland IPF | Syracusefan.com

OT: Maryland IPF

speaking of maryland, i wonder how many stinkers they need for the overscheduling stuff to end

175, 194, 252 yards the last 3 weeks

Note how it is said "Institutional funds" will be paid back by Big Ten revenue.

Let's see if it gets approved, but just another school who is showing they want to compete at big boy football.

Not a bad facility that's only costing Maryland $25m.

Going to be difficult for Syracuse to keep up with some of these Joneses: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...o-new-football-facility/?tid=trending_strip_5
Seems excessive. Clemson did their IPF for $10M and SU doing theirs for $13M

I know this is more than just the IPF ... but $155M??

According to the proposal, Maryland would construct the new facility in two phases, with the first consisting of the construction of the football facility. The building would be expanded to the north to hold a 100-yard football field, while the second phase would include renovations of the building to the north, south and west to house a football training complex. Phase two would also include construction of a Center for Sports Medicine, Health and Human Performance. It would also include the construction of two outdoor practice fields west of the facility.

I wonder how much of that $105M is coming from private gifts (vs. "institutional funds and clinical revenues from the facility")?

Isn't SU still collecting donations for the Melo Center?

How is it that fundraising for the Syracuse IPF wasn't easy, but Maryland is counting on [probably] tens of millions of dollars in donations for their facility?

right now we cannot compete with teams that don't even have a ipf or plan to have one. at this point we have other major issues to worry about, not least of which are coaching and recruiting. rutgers is bowl eligible for gods sake. i also believe this season may have done damage to sth renewals and confidence in the program. i speak for myself--as i am tired of the same old koolaid. losing marrone is now being felt. there is major damage control to be done. just opinion. sorry to be a downer, but we have seen all this before.

orangeinohio said:
I wonder how much of that $105M is coming from private gifts (vs. "institutional funds and clinical revenues from the facility")? Isn't SU still collecting donations for the Melo Center? How is it that fundraising for the Syracuse IPF wasn't easy, but Maryland is counting on [probably] tens of millions of dollars in donations for their facility?

We either don't have many rich alumni or if we do they don't want to donate.

they don't want to donate
i am curious as to the reasons why. i guess syracuse has never built a loyal relationship with the alumni. would love to hear from some alumni, w/o them identifying themselves of course---why they choose not to donate if they have the means. would like to know their feelings re the university. maybe many do donate but not to athletics including football

We either don't have many rich alumni or if we do they don't want to donate.

Including the Dome, the Melo Center, the new Dome Roof, Manley renovation, etc. and the new IPF I don't think SU has spent $155 million total on athletic facilities since 1980...

IPF $17 million
Carrier Dome $27 million
New Dome Roof $14 million
Manley Field House renovations $1 million
Melo Center $15.3 million

Total $74.3 million since 1980 and working diligently on the old farmhouse strategy. Most P5 programs have spent that in the last 5-10 years to renovate the bathrooms.

Including the Dome, the Melo Center, the new Dome Roof, Manley renovation, etc. and the new IPF I don't think SU has spent $155 million total on athletic facilities since 1980...

IPF $17 million
Carrier Dome $27 million

Total $74.3 million since 1980 and working diligently on the old farmhouse strategy. Most P5 programs have spent that in the last 5-10 years to renovate the bathrooms.
That analysis does not take into account the impact of inflation. For example, the value of the original Carrier dome construction, factoring in the 35 years that have elapsed since its construction, would be around 3 times the original cost.

I found a cpi calculator that gives a rough value of the above as $145M in 2014 dollars.

That analysis does not take into account the impact of inflation. For example, the value of the original Carrier dome construction, factoring in the 35 years that have elapsed since its construction, would be around 3 times the original cost.

I found a cpi calculator that gives a rough value of the above as $145M in 2014 dollars.

Really...

You can take into account anything you want. Recruits and coaches looking at support for the program don't bust out their inflation calculators when they are looking for a place to play or a place to coach. They look for tangible palpable support for the program...we just don't have it. Period.

Justification is everything I guess. I think every university should build a 34 year old outdated stadium to enhance their program and attract recruits because your calculator conversion says we are keeping up with the Jones'.

Good way of thinking, we should put you in charge and should just close and lock the doors.

Food for thought.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...l-facilities-arms-race-proves-recession-proof

You can take into account anything you want.
I was responding to a post that was comparing numbers, by comparing numbers. What's wrong with that?

And you don't need to go all ad hominem when disagreeing with a post(er).

CuseOnly said:
Including the Dome, the Melo Center, the new Dome Roof, Manley renovation, etc. and the new IPF I don't think SU has spent $155 million total on athletic facilities since 1980... IPF $17 million Carrier Dome $27 million New Dome Roof $14 million Manley Field House renovations $1 million Melo Center $15.3 million Total $74.3 million since 1980 and working diligently on the old farmhouse strategy. Most P5 programs have spent that in the last 5-10 years to renovate the bathrooms.

Spent has to equal donated. Or close to it.

Spent has to equal donated. Or close to it.

Not disagreeing with you at all. At the end of the day, the university has to spend money to keep up. The longer the wait, as longtimefan brought up, the more you spend in the long run regardless of where it comes from.

Maybe if the University shows the commitment, the donors will donate instead of the other way around.

"Look Mr./Mrs. Donor, we are ponying up $35 mil of the $110 mil facility. The least you could do is donate 10% of that and you will get your name on the building...our commitment is there, is yours?"

It beats "...Mr./Mrs. Donor, we would like to build a $110 million dollar facility for football but we need your $11 million dollar donation to get started...maybe in your lifetime we will get enough donations to get the facility built."

Me personally, I have a hard time being talked into committing to something that the person that is asking for my money is unwilling to commit to.

I was responding to a post that was comparing numbers, by comparing numbers. What's wrong with that?

And you don't need to go all ad hominem when disagreeing with a post(er).

Wasn't meant as an attack on you at all. That argument works when talking about real estate, investments, tangible property, etc. It's irrelevant in this conversation.

The numbers weren't the comparison, the commitment to the program was.

The unfair edge between private and public schools = state funds.

Such garbage that Maryland can lean on the state, while SU has to rely almost exclusively on private donations.

Our IPF will be more than enough for now.

We just need to put together an offense and we will be able to compete/beat most ACC schools.

IPF $17 million
Carrier Dome $27 million

It's true that Syracuse hasn't spent like many other Division I schools in the last 35 years.

That said, your list is a little short.

Manley hardwood court; new Manley track; outdoor track; soccer stadium; football complex; coaches' office building; Stevenson Center; Coyne renovations; football practice field renovations; softball stadium; Tennity Pavilion; athletics throwing facility; cross country course in Jamesville; Dome renovations; 2011 Manley renovations (closer to $4 million than $1).

I'm sure those total another $74 million. And that doesn't take into account a lot of nickel-dime renovations (training facilities, locker rooms) that SU has undertaken during the period.

we don't need to compete dollar for dollar on these stupid facilities. we just need something. i don't think we should worry about it much as we do. need to consider that a lot of that money is just wasted

Millhouse said:
we don't need to compete dollar for dollar on these stupid facilities. we just need something. i don't think we should worry about it much as we do. need to consider that a lot of that money is just wasted

Agreed. I don't think Mahogany lockers are going to sway a kid. At some point it's a waste of money.

oldpinepoint said:
they don't want to donate

...to athletics, specifically. Our alums donate plenty, to academics first. My wife and I donate each year. One year we give to Maxwell(me),the next we give to VPA(her). I also give to athletics on my own, aside from tickets. My donation to the athletics department is lower than what we give to the scools. If that makes us bad people, so be it.

...to athletics, specifically. Our alums donate plenty, to academics first. My wife and I donate each year. One year we give to Maxwell(me),the next we give to VPA(her). I also give to athletics on my own, aside from tickets. My donation to the athletics department is lower than what we give to the scools. If that makes us bad people, so be it.
I would argue you have your priorities in order, whereas so many people with ties to the big state schools have their whole identity wrapped up with the success of the athletics programs and donate accordingly.