OT: Memphis coach Josh Pastner set to hire the father of three (maybe four) top recruits | Syracusefan.com

OT: Memphis coach Josh Pastner set to hire the father of three (maybe four) top recruits

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
Keelon Lawson to join Memphis staff

Memphis coach Josh Pastner is expected to hire high school coach Keelon Lawson -- who is also the father of three elite recruits -- within the next few weeks, sources told ESPN.com.

The move is expected to be finalized before the end of July.

Lawson is the father of three heralded recruits. The oldest, K.J. Lawson, is a 6-foot-7 wing ranked 37th in the country by ESPN.com. He has already committed to play for Pastner at Memphis.

Dedric Lawson is a 6-8 power forward in the Class of 2016 who is ranked seventh in the country by ESPN.com. Chandler Lawson is a 6-6 wing who is ranked No. 1 overall in the Class of 2019 by one recruiting site. Jonathan Lawson is a sixth-grader who one coach said "may be the best of all of the brothers."

Memphis coach Josh Pastner is expected to hire high school coach Keelon Lawson -- who is also the father of three elite recruits -- within the next few weeks, sources told ESPN.com.

Lawson is the father of three heralded recruits. The oldest, K.J. Lawson, is a 6-foot-7 wing ranked 37th in the country by ESPN.com. He has already committed to play for Pastner at Memphis.

Dedric Lawson is a 6-8 power forward in the Class of 2016 who is ranked seventh in the country by ESPN.com. Chandler Lawson is a 6-6 wing who is ranked No. 1 overall in the Class of 2019 by one recruiting site. Jonathan Lawson is a sixth-grader who one coach said "may be the best of all of the brothers."
If Pastner was really smart he'd put the guy on retainer to keep having kids.
I'm pretty sure there's no NCAA rule covering that.

Last edited:
And it's also legal. That's the sad part.

Could you make it illegal though? Apparently this guy is a legit coach? (based on the article).

Doesn't mean its not sleazy, just not sure the recourse.

Could you make it illegal though? Apparently this guy is a legit coach? (based on the article).

Doesn't mean its not sleazy, just not sure the recourse.
No, there is nothing to make illegal. What I don't like and they should change, and I think it only applies to head coaches, is where their kid plays for them and then they leave and go to another school. Their kid doesn't have to sit out any time.

For example, Billy Baron played for Jim Baron at Rhode Island. Jim got fired and ended up coaching at Canisius the following season. Billy followed him and got to play at Canisius without ever having to sit out a season. Why should that be different than any other kid who transfers. I don't think that applies for assistant coaches who switch schools though. Their kids might have to sit out a season. Not sure though.

Maybe a bit harsh- article says Pastner got the one kid first- before hiring his Dad. Also, another family member is on staff. Lastly, the guy is qualified. This is questionable but, given the opportunity (including the qualified coaching candidate) is there a coach that wouldn't do this? The Mannings did all right.

Honestly, Keelon Lawson seems to be qualified (on paper) to make a jump to being an assistant in college ball. If it wasn't for his sons and their ability, would anyone be up in arms with the hiring? What's so different than a university hiring an AAU coach or a HS coach? Not saying that there aren't ulterior motives but I don't think it's quite as outrageous as some other hirings in college sports (Bobby Petrino, etc.).

No, there is nothing to make illegal. What I don't like and they should change, and I think it only applies to head coaches, is where their kid plays for them and then they leave and go to another school. Their kid doesn't have to sit out any time.

For example, Billy Baron played for Jim Baron at Rhode Island. Jim got fired and ended up coaching at Canisius the following season. Billy followed him and got to play at Canisius without ever having to sit out a season. Why should that be different than any other kid who transfers. I don't think that applies for assistant coaches who switch schools though. Their kids might have to sit out a season. Not sure though.
One reason is may be different is the coaches kid is not likely on athletic scholarship. Many university's employees kids go to school for free. Don't know if this is the case or not. I also do not know but doubt that non-scholarship players have to sit out transfer years.

Oh and why are there even rankings for class of 2019 kids? Those kids are entering 8th grade if I'm correct.

One reason is may be different is the coaches kid is not likely on athletic scholarship. Many university's employees kids go to school for free. Don't know if this is the case or not. I also do not know but doubt that non-scholarship players have to sit out transfer years.

Oh and why are there even rankings for class of 2019 kids? Those kids are entering 8th grade if I'm correct.

That one kinda blew my mind.

Even if tuition is covered, room and board, books, etc. are typically not covered by these employee benefits. If Memphis pays for any portion of that, it counts against the scholarships (hoops and football are full scholarship only). So, if Boeheim or Hopkins' kids come to SU, they could remain walk-ons if the family paid for all other expenses.

Even if tuition is covered, room and board, books, etc. are typically not covered by these employee benefits. If Memphis pays for any portion of that, it counts against the scholarships (hoops and football are full scholarship only). So, if Boeheim or Hopkins' kids come to SU, they could remain walk-ons if the family paid for all other expenses.
I think walkons still have to sit out a year. Doesn't the Cuse have a kid coming and he still has to sit out.

I think walkons still have to sit out a year. Doesn't the Cuse have a kid coming and he still has to sit out.
He's a little different though because I believe he was a scholarship player last year. He is transferring to SU to, we assume, be a walk-on at SU. Not sure if that matters but I would think it is different than a walk on transferring to be a walk on.

IIRC, it is a bit more complicated. If a player was recruited by the school to play either football or basketball, is a member of the team, and receives any financial aid from the school (whether it is an athletic or academic scholarship), it is counted as a scholarship for that sport. If the student was not recruited as an athlete, and made the team as a "walk-on", then any academic scholarship is not counted toward that team's total. At least, this has been my understanding. (UNC has had at least one Morehead-Cain Scholarship [formerly Morehead Scholarship] recipient as a walk-on who did not count towards their grant total, much to the chagrin of a few UVa fans.) "Recruitment" is the key element, I believe.

Weird, this kind of thing usually happens at Duke.

The only thing that surprises me is that Calipari didn't make him a better offer.

Is there a limit to assistant coaches, or did someone have to lose his job for this to happen?

The only thing that surprises me is that Calipari didn't make him a better offer.

Is there a limit to assistant coaches, or did someone have to lose his job for this to happen?

They had an opening, so nobody was fired.

I don't have a problem with Memphis or Pastner in this case. It's just the way the world works. You gotta use your leverage. Jenna Bush isn't on network TV because of her qualifications. It's like the guy who wants to break into adult movies and brings his hot GF to the set as bait.

Pastner is Calipari is Pastner.

Just a matter of time until both are disciplined. Of course, it hasn't hurt PayPal's pockets. But they will both her their due.

If the dude has trained his 3 kids at the game of basketball and make them all top prospects in their respective classes and coaches, he seems pretty qualified to me.

If we had to hire Karl Towns dad as an assistant to get him here, I would have. Sleezy or not.

The family lives in Memphis and the father was a D1 player and HS coach in Memphis and his oldest son already committed to playing at Memphis. This isn't as sleazy as Manning at Kansas, Chalmers at Kansas, or Wagner at Memphis (PayCal edition).

I think it'd be awesome/hilarious if the youngest kid (the prodigy 6th grader) pulled a Peyton Manning (going to Tennessee instead of Ole Miss) and went somewhere else to make a name for himself.

The family lives in Memphis and the father was a D1 player and HS coach in Memphis and his oldest son already committed to playing at Memphis. This isn't as sleazy as Manning at Kansas, Chalmers at Kansas, or Wagner at Memphis (PayCal edition).

Yeah, I lean toward this. I don't know, but this guy seems pretty qualified, or as qualified as a random assistant coach would be. So why shouldn't he be able to take a better job?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom