OT: Mixon video. Wow... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Mixon video. Wow...

Longisland - i'm glad this all stayed civil and I really didn't want to leave my point. I know what you mean I just think it's much more black and white in these situations - we disagree and that's fine.

I just strongly think he should not be on scholarship at Oklahoma. I think his second chance should be elsewhere.

I can't argue with that. Being thrown out of school for the incident would've been well within reason and I think the punishment that he received was as well.

It absolutely makes it less of a crime. If you're punching someone because you're truly defending yourself, it's not a crime. That wasn't the case here. She didn't have the ability to cause him any physical harm. He should have restrained her, or walked away. Now, if she was coming at him with a knife or a gun, then yes, the punch probably would have been appropriate. It's about defending yourself in a proportional way based on the circumstances. He wildly overreacted and should be severely punished.

^^^ This

It absolutely makes it less of a crime. If you're punching someone because you're truly defending yourself, it's not a crime. That wasn't the case here. She didn't have the ability to cause him any physical harm. He should have restrained her, or walked away. Now, if she was coming at him with a knife or a gun, then yes, the punch probably would have been appropriate. It's about defending yourself in a proportional way based on the circumstances. He wildly overreacted and should be severely punished.

This post sums it up perfectly. The girl apparently used the N word, which makes her a total piece of crap, but the piece of crap still cannot be punched in the face unless she was threatening his life or threatening major physical harm, neither of which were the case.

There was no justification, none, for the way he reacted to her push and attempted slap. Most every guy in here, from the time you were kids w/ sisters/cousins/neighborhood kids etc, has had a run-in with a female. As a kid you'd fight full-on because you're on equal footing. In fact in my old neighborhood in Queens, there was one girl nobody wanted to fight, until of course puberty kicked in and our attraction to her went in another direction! ;)
As a young, Div I football-playing athlete, common-sense dictates that you cannot go HAM just because "she hit me first". That's irrational and ridiculous to even suggest, IMO. Its the equivalent of killing an annoying mosquitoe with a sledgehammer- a little out of proportion, no?

Of course if it's your daughter you would want to destroy this person, but how about if its your son? If he has a Delone Carter type of error in judgment after a night of drinking, should his life & dreams end at that very moment?

If my son did that, I'd kick the out of him myself and hope that he was punished for embarrassing me. I wouldn't put up with screwing up like that. Most parents coddle the crap out of their kids. I don't believe in the whole, defend your kids no matter how wrong they are mentality. The idea that everyone else should pay for their actions unless it's your kid, I don't get that. It should be, everyone pays for their actions and if it's your kid you make sure they pay for their actions. People are too weak nowadays.

For discussion:

Would anyone's opinion be different if the girl was a guy?

Our laws and societal norms say women should be seen and treated as equals, yet when things like this happen, people are quick to treat them as less than equal, or at least differently.

Mixon's response was definitely overkill, but acting as though it's perfectly fine for the woman to hit the man simply because she's smaller is silly. They both should have been brought up for charges IMO.

Mixon's response was definitely overkill, but acting as though it's perfectly fine for the woman to hit the man simply because she's smaller is silly. They both should have been brought up for charges IMO.

Yeah she should have been arrested for slapping someone twice her size who only had to grab her arms to defend himself and he responded by breaking her face. I hope you don't have daughters

For discussion:

Our laws and societal norms say women should be seen and treated as equals, yet when things like this happen, people are quick to treat them as less than equal, or at least differently.

They are not equal when a football player responds to a slap with a punch that breaks four facial bones.

They are not equal when a football player responds to a slap with a punch that breaks four facial bones.
What if he was a kicker?
So then there is inequality between the genders?

Disagree. Violent crime is down across the board in this country. The US was a much, much more violent place a generation ago. It's just that we didn't have social media and cell phones before to make things like this go viral.

Could you imagine if there were camera phones to capture the things that Jim Brown did?

That is not my perception at all. People care much less about seriously hurting another person today. I'm old enough to have seen the change...

This can be broken down to it's simplest form. His reaction was not one of self defense in any shape or manner. His reaction was one of uncontrolled anger. What would we think if he took out a 9 and ended up wounding her? Same reaction. Same result, assault with intent to injure or kill. He obviously gave no thought as to the end result of his actions. There was no thought process at all, just react with anger.

This can be broken down to it's simplest form. His reaction was not one of self defense in any shape or manner. His reaction was one of uncontrolled anger. What would we think if he took out a 9 and wounded her? Same reaction. Same result,

I give the benefit of the doubt to the woman, because it appears she put some distance between them, and Mixon pursued her.

I hate making this comparison, but this almost reminds me of how I felt about George Zimmerman. Zimmerman escalated things to the point where he felt threatened and used excessive force. So did Mixon.

If you go after someone, and they respond, that shouldn't give you the justification to escalate things to a more violent level.

For discussion:

Of course, my parents taught me never to lay a hand on a female.

Yeah she should have been arrested for slapping someone twice her size who only had to grab her arms to defend himself and he responded by breaking her face. I hope you don't have daughters

Mixon's response should have zero impact on whether or not Molitor's prior actions were grounds for an arrest. Saying that Molitor is also at fault does not mean that Mixon is not. I don't know Mixon, so I can't say he's a complete piece of , but punching Molitor the way he did was an absolute piece of move.

Outside of the legalities and just speaking from common sense, I think it's dumb to fight regardless of your size or gender. I was raised to only get physical if it was in self-defense and if it was an absolute last resort. Whether it's a big guy, big girl, small guy, small girl, etc., I would almost always flee before getting physical. I always thought I could hold my own in the event that someone ever attacked me, although weighing 80 pounds in high school would probably suggest that I would have gotten my ass handed to me, even by most high school girls. Actually instigating a physical altercation when you know you're at a massive disadvantage is just a terrible idea. What's happened in the aftermath of this incident is probably the best case scenario for doing so, which is to say, there's no upside. If alcohol were involved, which I'm guessing it was, it's even dumber.

At any rate, hitting her the way Mixon did was completely unnecessary and wrong. Trying to start a fight like Molitor did; pushing, slapping, and based on the grainy video, potentially grabbing Mixon by the throat, is also wrong, even if it's to a lesser degree on the wrong-ness scale.

Whether I have a son or a daughter, and regardless of whether they're physically strong or not, I would always advise them to treat people respectfully and do everything they can to avoid physical confrontations even if it means running from a fight. And I don't think that saying that hitting people is bad regardless of their size and gender would make me a poor parent.

Mixon's response should have zero impact on whether or not Molitor's prior actions were grounds for an arrest. Saying that Molitor is also at fault does not mean that Mixon is not. I don't know Mixon, so I can't say he's a complete piece of . . . . , but punching Molitor the way he did was an absolute piece of . . . . move.

Outside of the legalities and just speaking from common sense, I think it's dumb to fight regardless of your size or gender. I was raised to only get physical if it was in self-defense and if it was an absolute last resort. Whether it's a big guy, big girl, small guy, small girl, etc., I would almost always flee before getting physical. I always thought I could hold my own in the event that someone ever attacked me, although weighing 80 pounds in high school would probably suggest that I would have gotten my ass handed to me, even by most high school girls. Actually instigating a physical altercation when you know you're at a massive disadvantage is just a terrible idea. What's happened in the aftermath of this incident is probably the best case scenario for doing so, which is to say, there's no upside. If alcohol were involved, which I'm guessing it was, it's even dumber.

At any rate, hitting her the way Mixon did was completely unnecessary and wrong. Trying to start a fight like Molitor did; pushing, slapping, and based on the grainy video, potentially grabbing Mixon by the throat, is also wrong, even if it's to a lesser degree on the wrong-ness scale.

Whether I have a son or a daughter, and regardless of whether they're physically strong or not, I would always advise them to treat people respectfully and do everything they can to avoid physical confrontations even if it means running from a fight. And I don't think that saying that hitting people is bad regardless of their size and gender would make me a poor parent.

I agree with just about everything you say here and forgive me for implying you aren't a good parent, this is a very emotionally charged subject. Always telling your kids to avoid physical confrontation is a good thing. I just don't believe Molitor should be charged, though she did not show good judgement I agree.

I agree with just about everything you say here and forgive me for implying you aren't a good parent, this is a very emotionally charged subject. Always telling your kids to avoid physical confrontation is a good thing. I just don't believe Molitor should be charged, though she did not show good judgement I agree.

No worries at all :) I'm not even a parent yet, but I'm hoping to be at some point in my life.

Molitor: Wrong for comments and for striking Mixon. Should be charged accordingly. Let a judge/jury decide how significant her attack was and her punishment. (her actions are a separate issue from Mixon's).

Mixon: Wrong for retaliation. Used excessive force and was not in real danger (no real shot at claiming feared for life/self defense). Seriously offended his mother, family, Stoops, Teammates, OU, Norman,OK; though it seems only his mother and family are the ones that realized they should be offended by his behavior!

Stoops: Wrong for not dismissing Mixon from the team/school and letting him rehabilitate himself at a JUCO while addressing legal issues. (He could always bring him back after JUCO if he was rehabilitated)

AD & OU: Wrong for not stepping in where Stoops failed. Wrong for not presenting their point of view and dismissing both for instigation and assault. Wrong for sending message that "if you are really good in football, we will waive 'improprieties'".

Mixon's Attorneys: Wrong for failing to get the kid in front of the issue and make amends early on. If it meant a little jail time, more community service, loss of the OU scholarship, so be it, it would have been better than waiting 2.5 years to make things right. Waiting until now for the mea culpa seems far less genuine (I believe Mixon is very upset he failed his mother and family, and somewhat sorry for retaliating and injuring Molitor) and more geared to getting a better draft selection than truly making amends.

Basically, everything that could be handled wrong was handled wrong. I hope the kid truly is rehabilitated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom