OT- New area code? | Syracusefan.com

OT- New area code?

CuseTroop

Vegas Mole Person
Being in Alaska, I still have my 315 number. Yates county. Does anyone know how this is all going to work?

Sorry for the OT topic

In 18 months, they will run out of 315 numbers, so all new numbers issued will be 680.

You'll have to dial 10 digits to make local calls.

shoulda been 444 :(
The sad thing is, 444 is still unassigned. I wonder if it is too late for a groundswell of public opinion to change 680 to 444.

I call upon everyone in the 315 to rally on this.

68-oh? Hell no! We won't go!

Get us number foe foe foe!

They were way ahead of us witht eh 44 phone numbers:
(The "4444" starts about :57 in)

I was thinking the same thing. If you dail KL5... do you get Aunt Mae at the switchboard?
Number, please
ernestineweb.jpg

Moving back to CNY after being gone for ten years...I was just getting used to returning to seven number dialing.

History Lesson:

I grew up in a small town (Armonk, NY) in the era of three-digit phone numbers. Our number was 600, and all you could dial were the other three-digit numbers in Armonk. For any call outside Armonk, you had to go through a long-distance operator. When I was in 6th grade, everyone in Armonk got a 3 added to their number... so ours was 3600. But we still had to dial an operator to place a call outside of Armonk.

Seven digits arrived when I was in high school, and our number became AR3-3600. Suddenly, you could call neighboring towns ... without first dialing an operator. But to call any further (like 10 miles) you still needed to dial an operator to place a "long-distance call."

Area codes (and touch-tone phones) arrived when I was in college. It was like magic. Suddenly you could call any place in the USA without going through an operator. I have occasionally wondered what happened to all the operators who must have lost their jobs through all these "upgrades."

Ten-digit dialing came to Southport, CT (where I now live) about five years ago. It still seems strange to have to dial 10-digits to reach the person next door ... or 11 digits to reach someone two towns away. (Actually, the hardest part is trying to figure out when you have to add "1" and dial 11 digits because it is not always apparent from the number).

Last edited:
History Lesson:

I grew up in a small town (Armonk, NY) in the era of three-digit phone numbers. Our number was 600, and all you could dial were the other three-digit numbers in Armonk. For any call outside Armonk, you had to go through a long-distance operator. When I was in 6th grade, everyone in Armonk got a 3 added to their number... so ours was 3600. But we still had to dial an operator to place a call outside of Armonk.

Seven digits arrived when I was in high school, and our number became AR3-3600. Suddenly, you could call neighboring towns ... without first dialing an operator. But to call any further (like 10 miles) you still needed to dial an operator to place a "long-distance call."

Area codes (and touch-tone phones) arrived when I was in college. It was like magic. Suddenly you could call any place in the USA without going through an operator. I have occasionally wondered what happened to all the operators who must have lost their jobs through all these "upgrades."

Ten-digit dialing came to Southport, CT (where I now live) about five years ago. It still seems strange to have to dial 10-digits to reach the person next door ... or 11 digits to reach someone two towns away. (Actually, the hardest part is trying to figure out when you have to add "1" and dial 11 digits because it is not always apparent from the number).
My dad still calls the refrigerator the ice box sometimes. I will have to ask him about his old phone numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom