OT: New York Recruits | Syracusefan.com

OT: New York Recruits

anomander

Living Legend
First I want to start by saying this isn't intended to be another "we need to recruit NY" thread. It's just merely an observation, but it seems the quality of players coming out of NY recently has seemed to pick up? This year we don't have the headliners like Thomas Holley, or Curtis Samuel, but we have the depth. Tyrone Wheatley, Qaadir Sheppard, Alex Parkinson, Austrian Robinson, Tyrone Perkins, Jordan Fredericks, Jonathan Forrest, Hergy Mayala, John Phillips, Deontre Roberts, Kamaal Seymour, and Jordan Gowins have all at least been evaluated as a 3 star prospect by at least 1 site. Most likely at least 10 of those 12 will play in a P5 conference. That's some pretty solid depth.

Combine that with last years studs and is it possible NYS football is improving?

First I want to start by saying this isn't intended to be another "we need to recruit NY" thread. It's just merely an observation, but it seems the quality of players coming out of NY recently has seemed to pick up? This year we don't have the headliners like Thomas Holley, or Curtis Samuel, but we have the depth. Tyrone Wheatley, Qaadir Sheppard, Alex Parkinson, Austrian Robinson, Tyrone Perkins, Jordan Fredericks, Jonathan Forrest, Hergy Mayala, John Phillips, Deontre Roberts, Kamaal Seymour, and Jordan Gowins have all at least been evaluated as a 3 star prospect by at least 1 site. Most likely at least 10 of those 12 will play in a P5 conference. That's some pretty solid depth.

Combine that with last years studs and is it possible NYS football is improving?
I really think it's just visibility. With Hudl and the recruiting sites it's easier for these kids to get their names out there. Once a P5 conference offers other teams usually jump on the bandwagon.

I really wish our chances on robinson seemed better.

I really think it's just visibility. With Hudl and the recruiting sites it's easier for these kids to get their names out there. Once a P5 conference offers other teams usually jump on the bandwagon.

I wonder also if it doesn't have to do with the fact that recruiting territories have evolved . Seems that more schools have expanded outside of their former base recruiting territories...like Syracuse recruiting the Midwest heavily last year.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...urdays-high-school-football-results/72190026/

Saturday’s high school football results
Staff reports 12:15 a.m. EDT September 13, 2015

Jake Zembiec led Aquinas to a 33-8 win over Delaware Valley Charter School of Pennsylvania in a non-league football game on Saturday.

Zembiec completed 18 of 26 passes for 228 yards with four touchdowns and an interception.

Zembiec tossed two TD passes in the second quarter as Aquinas took a 26-0 lead.

Ernest Edwards had 70 yards and two touchdowns on nine receptions for the Little Irish (2-0).

Jamir Jones had 80 yards and two touchdowns on four catches for Aquinas.

The Little Irish’s Taylor Riggins had 108 yards rushing and a touchdown on 12 carries.

On defense, Damon Burton added eight tackles and an interception for Aquinas.

Jack Owens collected six tackles, two sacks, and had a batted pass for the Little Irish.

A- Ernest Edwards 80 pass from Jake Zembiec (Collin Cup kick)

A- Edwards 20 pass from Zembiec (kick failed)

A- Taylor Riggins 15 run (Cup kick)

A- Jamir Jones 49 pass from Zembiec (kick failed)

A- Jones 14 pass from Zembiec (Cup kick)

D- Shaheed Brown 22 run (Morris Peterson run)

Zembiec is a PSU commit I believe, wish they could've gotten him. Need to keep the top instate talent

You realize you're posting this in the thread of a kid who, mere minutes before you posted, was pointed out as being upgraded to the #1 athlete in NYS? And that our starting, true freshman RB, is a NYS kid?
Regardless I think its pretty obvious that this staff hasn't done the best job of keeping the in state talent. One example is Ollison, Zembiec, Ogundeko, and others

Regardless I think its pretty obvious that this staff hasn't done the best job of keeping the in state talent. One example is Ollison, Zembiec, Ogundeko, and others
If we get good players, who cares where they come from? I'm perfectly happy having Dungey for the next few years at QB, even though he's not from NYS.

Would I like to see the top NYS kids stay home? Sure. But some kids just want to get out of the area (see: Hart, Mike), and it's not like this staff is completely whiffing on local kids.

There's a difference between not doing a good job and not being successful. Marrone's staff fought tooth and nail for Ishaq Williams and Ebo and at the end of the day, they got stars in their eyes and wanted to go to the out of state power program. You can't put a gun to kids' heads and force them to come to Syracuse. I personally feel that Marrone's staff did a very good job recruiting Ishaq, even though they ultimately weren't successful.

When you see a good talent go to a peer program, Ollison is a good example of this, then yeah, we just flat out lost. That's a kid that we really should have been able to close on. But on the whole, I think the kids that have been below that blue chip level in state, we've done a pretty good job of landing the ones that we want.

There's a difference between not doing a good job and not being successful. Marrone's staff fought tooth and nail for Ishaq Williams and Ebo and at the end of the day, they got stars in their eyes and wanted to go to the out of state power program. You can't put a gun to kids' heads and force them to come to Syracuse. I personally feel that Marrone's staff did a very good job recruiting Ishaq, even though they ultimately weren't successful.

When you see a good talent go to a peer program, Ollison is a good example of this, then yeah, we just flat out lost. That's a kid that we really should have been able to close on. But on the whole, I think the kids that have been below that blue chip level in state, we've done a pretty good job of landing the ones that we want.
Were we heavily after Ollison? I honestly don't recall, so I'm curious.

HeaterCuse22 said:
Yes. But I think he was shuffled out with the Marrone departure.

Ollison was last year, or was it 2 years ago? Either way it was this current staff, and yes we wanted him bad. We looked good for a bit.

Ollison was last year, or was it 2 years ago? Either way it was this current staff, and yes we wanted him bad. We looked good for a bit.

It was 2014 class - definitely this staff.

Ollison is going to run all over us this weekend. Then we will see that we need to keep in state talent. If we want to maintain the mantra "New York State's College Team"

Ollison is going to run all over us this weekend. Then we will see that we need to keep in state talent. If we want to maintain the mantra "New York State's College Team"
Come on dude! Get the best players possible regardless of which state they come from and I would take Fredericks over Ollison any day of the week.

I do think that "New York State's College Team" has to go and maybe AD Coyle will see to that.

I wouldnt trade Frederick for Ollison any day

Come on dude! Get the best players possible regardless of which state they come from and I would take Fredericks over Ollison any day of the week.

I do think that "New York State's College Team" has to go and maybe AD Coyle will see to that.

I don't think there's anything wrong with "New York State's College Team". Syracuse definitely has a better pedigree than UB or Army in making that claim.

The whole build the wall around the state stuff...that can take a hike.

anomander said:
First I want to start by saying this isn't intended to be another "we need to recruit NY" thread. It's just merely an observation, but it seems the quality of players coming out of NY recently has seemed to pick up? This year we don't have the headliners like Thomas Holley, or Curtis Samuel, but we have the depth. Tyrone Wheatley, Qaadir Sheppard, Alex Parkinson, Austrian Robinson, Tyrone Perkins, Jordan Fredericks, Jonathan Forrest, Hergy Mayala, John Phillips, Deontre Roberts, Kamaal Seymour, and Jordan Gowins have all at least been evaluated as a 3 star prospect by at least 1 site. Most likely at least 10 of those 12 will play in a P5 conference. That's some pretty solid depth. Combine that with last years studs and is it possible NYS football is improving?

I wouldnt trade Frederick for Ollison any day
I think Frederick will be just as good or better, remember Ollison is a redshirt. Frederick is more explosive and can catch.

Don't know exactly where to place my first post. General Question(s). What is a Preferred Walk On? Is it differentiated from a "regular" or "non-preferred" walk on? What specific benefits do they receive? How is it an enticement to come play? Are the same demands made or benefits granted to walk ons in comparison to scholarship players (meetings, S&C sessions, training table, athletic dorms, tutoring, medical care etc.)?

I mean it's tough enough going to college and carrying a full load. But to layer D1 football on top of it and to have to pay tens of thousands for the privilege...mind boggling really. Obviously these kids love this game.

I'm reminded of the Jim Gaffigan joke where they ask him what it's like having 5 kids and he says, "Imagine you're drowning...and somebody hands you a baby."

Found this:
http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2014/02/05/the-meaning-of-a-preferred-walk-on.htm

Nine out of the 10 staffs we spoke with use the “preferred concept” and to those nine, the clear difference between a preferred walk-on versus someone who simply walks-on is that the preferred means he is guaranteed a spot on the 105 man roster day one of camp, while other walk-ons will have to go through tryouts to see if they can earn a spot on the roster.

One coach added that preferred guys “may also be invited to summer school to train with the team. Some conferences allow the institution to pay for summer school without penalty.”

Plus - with preferred walk-ons, there's a pretty solid chance that they'll get a scholarship before the end of their career. Like Mahoney as a preferred walk-on...is there anyone who doesn't think he'll get a scholarship next season with AJ Long gone?

preferred walkons dont always get scholies. most dont. it just means they dont go thru the cut process to make the team.

Plus - with preferred walk-ons, there's a pretty solid chance that they'll get a scholarship before the end of their career. Like Mahoney as a preferred walk-on...is there anyone who doesn't think he'll get a scholarship next season with AJ Long gone?

Basically they are "recruited" walk-ons, if that makes sense. The other walk-ons typically are kids that enrolled and the school and just show up to try out for the team in the fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom