OT: New York Recruits | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: New York Recruits

Mahoney is the exception.

Jacob Hill should not take up a scholie either and I'd bet he'll only get one in the event we're not at 85. But it'd be on a year to year basis.

Mahoney is the exception.

Jacob Hill should not take up a scholie either and I'd bet he'll only get one in the event we're not at 85. But it'd be on a year to year basis.

Kleinberg has looked good on specials too. He's another one.

Yes. I thought about him to. He's the linebacker from NJ right? I could see him getting a ship.

Yes. I thought about him to. He's the linebacker from NJ right? I could see him getting a ship.
Yep. He had some real interest from some D1 schools. BC wanted him for awhile.

There's a difference between not doing a good job and not being successful. Marrone's staff fought tooth and nail for Ishaq Williams and Ebo and at the end of the day, they got stars in their eyes and wanted to go to the out of state power program. You can't put a gun to kids' heads and force them to come to Syracuse. I personally feel that Marrone's staff did a very good job recruiting Ishaq, even though they ultimately weren't successful.

When you see a good talent go to a peer program, Ollison is a good example of this, then yeah, we just flat out lost. That's a kid that we really should have been able to close on. But on the whole, I think the kids that have been below that blue chip level in state, we've done a pretty good job of landing the ones that we want.
Let's not confuse effort with results. People who are doing a good job then get poor results don't get to keep their jobs for long. I want Schafer to succeed I really do. But his teams are just getting bulldozed in the second half leading to losses. You can hang your hat on all the positives you want and there are some. At the end of the day his teams need more talent and need to play better to win in the ACC. So instead of playing the strawman game of Ollison vs Fredericks... I contend we need both and more top NYS talent to start winning games. If we can't get top talent from NY why are we spending more on recruiting to travel to LA to recruit a 5-9 QB. Its basic marketing. Proximity is important in recruiting. No successful program can't keep their state's top players close to home. We need to start at home.

Let's not confuse effort with results. People who are doing a good job then get poor results don't get to keep their jobs for long. I want Schafer to succeed I really do. But his teams are just getting bulldozed in the second half leading to losses. You can hang your hat on all the positives you want and there are some. At the end of the day his teams need more talent and need to play better to win in the ACC. So instead of playing the strawman game of Ollison vs Fredericks... I contend we need both and more top NYS talent to start winning games. If we can't get top talent from NY why are we spending more on recruiting to travel to LA to recruit a 5-9 QB. Its basic marketing. Proximity is important in recruiting. No successful program can't keep their state's top players close to home. We need to start at home.

It's Chicken or Egg. I'd argue that until you are top 15 successful, you aren't going to get a sniff from the NYS blue chips. These kids are going to Alabama, OSU, Notre Dame, Clemson. They're not going to Rutgers or BC. And they're not coming here until we are on par with some of those power schools. When we are, yeah, we should have as good a shot as anyone and expect to land them and keep them in state. But right now? Come on.

Sudano said:

Yeah. Can't believe we flew to Oregon to recruit a QB. How silly.

Agree. Good player. Good technique, at least from watching their camp drills. I imagine he contributes outside of drills during his time here

I can only speak on NYC kids but the 5 Boros are definitely producing improved quality of recruits. Imo this is largely a result of youth football leagues which have increased significantly the past decade and an overall growth of football culture in the city.

I can only speak on NYC kids but the 5 Boros are definitely producing improved quality of recruits. Imo this is largely a result of youth football leagues which have increased significantly the past decade and an overall growth of football culture in the city.
At the same time we need to bring the top kids into the program A little lacks lately,I think.

Who is the current Cuse coach recruiting the NYC area? I know Acosta covers NJ but is he also involved with the NYC/LI recruits?

Who is the current Cuse coach recruiting the NYC area? I know Acosta covers NJ but is he also involved with the NYC/LI recruits?

I thought it was Acosta.

Joe Adam handles NYC. All the HS coaches here really like him. He's def making up all the ground we lost when Rob Moore insulted Curtis Samuel and his head coach in print and then Bullough dissed Wayne Williams' HS program in print as well.

Self inflicted wounds and Anselmo leaving really hurt us. Rutgers has moved in and now basically owns NYC.

Maybe with the upcoming Dome renovations, more games can be played in the Metro NY area, say at Yankee Stadium.

Joe Adam handles NYC. All the HS coaches here really like him. He's def making up all the ground we lost when Rob Moore insulted Curtis Samuel and his head coach in print and then Bullough dissed Wayne Williams' HS program in print as well.

Self inflicted wounds and Anselmo leaving really hurt us. Rutgers has moved in and now basically owns NYC.

Rutgers is still behind the big boys in the pecking order. They get sloppy seconds.

Rutgers is still behind the big boys in the pecking order. They get sloppy seconds.
I agree but unfort they are more highly thought of by premiere and sloppy seconds players than we are and that's a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom