OT: Oh geez, dare I dream again? | Syracusefan.com

OT: Oh geez, dare I dream again?

jekelish

Living Legend
Assistant Director Athletic Communications job is open at Syracuse, with requirements listed as a bachelor's degree and 1-3 years experience...and here I am with a bachelor's FROM Syracuse, and 10 years as an SID.

Why does the timing for this have to be so brutal? Leaving now would completely cripple my current place of employment. Stupid horrific timing!

And I'm even more qualified for this than for the previous job I applied for in the SUAD. Why couldn't this have come open in the middle of the summer, so that I wouldn't be completely screwing over my current department if I left?

Assistant Director Athletic Communications job is open at Syracuse, with requirements listed as a bachelor's degree and 1-3 years experience...and here I am with a bachelor's FROM Syracuse, and 10 years as an SID.

Why does the timing for this have to be so brutal? Leaving now would completely cripple my current place of employment. Stupid horrific timing!

And I'm even more qualified for this than for the previous job I applied for in the SUAD. Why couldn't this have come open in the middle of the summer, so that I wouldn't be completely screwing over my current department if I left?
Dude... this is your moment. Go for broke.

I'm conflicted. I mean hell, I may not even get an interview to begin with, but the people at my college have mostly been good to me...I hate to leave them in the lurch right as we're about to start the busiest part of the year. Damn me and my loyalty!

I'm conflicted. I mean hell, I may not even get an interview to begin with, but the people at my college have mostly been good to me...I hate to leave them in the lurch right as we're about to start the busiest part of the year. Damn me and my loyalty!
Totally understandable to feel that way. They'd find a way. The best opportunities almost never come at a convenient time.

It's not like you have to give two weeks notice. You can always negotiate to be able to hire and train your replacement. Go for it brother.

JK--go for it. This opportunity might not come along again when it's convenient for you.

What do you have to lose by merely applying?

It's very noble to be concerned about how you would be leaving your current employer, but you need to look out for #1. As was said above, if things go well with SU, you could always negotiate a delayed start to give your current school some time to backfill you and time for training. Go for it!

You will be asked to leave the board if you do not apply.

Ironically if I go for it and get it, I'll most likely have to leave the board anyway.

Well got for it for sure then! :) But seriously, go for it. I am sometimes loyal to a fault but only one person will look out for you.

Don't worry about the offer right now, cross that bridge when/if you come to it. Get the experience in an interview with Syracuse University if you can, who knows maybe your offered it, maybe you make a great impression and something else comes up later etc. One piece of general advice I was told that I always keep in mind, try not to draw conclusions because when you do you limit yourself to a multitude of possibilities most of which you never would have/could have seen occuring.

Keep in mind that HR operates very slowly and SU might not be ready to make a move on this until late in the semester - by the time they start interviewing, you'll have cleared the busy part of the fall sports schedule.

they way SU works it seems like a part time job so just do both, they dont spend 5 hrs a week on this stuff do they?

I say go for it, if that's what you want. You never know when leadership could change at your current employer, and maybe they stop treating you well. You have to do what's right for you. They'll move on. I'm sure they've done it before.

You should definitely apply. Anyone who has dealt with Sue Edson has nothing but good things to say about her. I know a couple of people who worked for her and she is respected as a supervisor and supportive of continued professional development.

Ironically if I go for it and get it, I'll most likely have to leave the board anyway.
Nah...you'll be a reach-out agent like drbartle It is good for SU to hire a few guys like you and Dan. Go for it...SU has great benefits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom