OT: Oh geez, dare I dream again? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Oh geez, dare I dream again?

I like jackasslish no one would ever figure it out. ;)
Now now, there's no need for me to call myself jackass since, let's face it, that becomes readily apparent on its own.

If you tell your current employer this is your "Dream Job" they will support you. That's the way it works where I work.

I'm conflicted. I mean hell, I may not even get an interview to begin with, but the people at my college have mostly been good to me...I hate to leave them in the lurch right as we're about to start the busiest part of the year. Damn me and my loyalty!

Look at it this way, your current place of employment would have no problem getting rid of you under certain circumstances. You should have no issue leaving them under certain circumstances. Question is, is this one of those circumstances? I think it is. :)

Assistant Director Athletic Communications job is open at Syracuse, with requirements listed as a bachelor's degree and 1-3 years experience...and here I am with a bachelor's FROM Syracuse, and 10 years as an SID.

Why does the timing for this have to be so brutal? Leaving now would completely cripple my current place of employment. Stupid horrific timing!

And I'm even more qualified for this than for the previous job I applied for in the SUAD. Why couldn't this have come open in the middle of the summer, so that I wouldn't be completely screwing over my current department if I left?
Loyalty can be the most admirable trait.
But...I've been in similar situations and learned two things.

1. If the current working relationship is good...people will be happy for you if you get the job.
(And if it's not good they may even be happier...for themselves).

2. The truth is, almost everyone can be replaced or someone can cover for a while.
The exception is when the entire job revolves around you: Dave Chappelle leaves Chappelle's Show...the show's got to be canceled.

Bottom line: good luck... go for it.

Take the interview if you can get it. That will tell you all you need to know in making your choice if you are given the opportunity to take the job. It never hurts to look. e.g. Mike Hopkins.

Another simple way to help make the choice is to list all the pluses to taking the SU job and those in keeping what you have.

Timing is never right. Our high school AD just resigned last week. Timing stinks but to be honest her replacement will likely be better than she was. If you leave for SU, your current employer might hire somebody smarter, better looking, younger and better at the job than you are! You never know. Do what makes you and your family happy. No one is irreplaceable as much as we'd like to think otherwise. Leave the board?? Heck don't we have a trustee posting on here? SUball

I'm conflicted. I mean hell, I may not even get an interview to begin with, but the people at my college have mostly been good to me...I hate to leave them in the lurch right as we're about to start the busiest part of the year. Damn me and my loyalty!

Here's the advice I give everyone, including my own employees:

Be loyal to people... not to companies, places, or things. The first person you should be loyal to is yourself.

Remember, no one is irreplaceable, and your current employer will fire you in a millisecond if its in their best business interests.

The deadline to apply is Friday. It doesn't help that we've undergoing a massive staff overhaul this fall, with 7 new people (out of our very small athletics staff), and one of those 7, who just started last week, has already resigned so we're back to the drawing board with that coaching position (it's head baseball, as well as equipment manager).

Do you, buddy. Do you.

Do what's best for you and your family.

Assistant Director Athletic Communications job is open at Syracuse, with requirements listed as a bachelor's degree and 1-3 years experience...and here I am with a bachelor's FROM Syracuse, and 10 years as an SID.

Why does the timing for this have to be so brutal? Leaving now would completely cripple my current place of employment. Stupid horrific timing!

And I'm even more qualified for this than for the previous job I applied for in the SUAD. Why couldn't this have come open in the middle of the summer, so that I wouldn't be completely screwing over my current department if I left?
Ah just do a Marrone (sorry I could not resist).

jekelish said:
The deadline to apply is Friday. It doesn't help that we've undergoing a massive staff overhaul this fall, with 7 new people (out of our very small athletics staff), and one of those 7, who just started last week, has already resigned so we're back to the drawing board with that coaching position (it's head baseball, as well as equipment manager).

Applying doesn't mean you're definitely leaving.

Apply for the freakin' job, dude.

"Follow your bliss" Joseph Campell

If there is one thing I have learned...follow your heart. Not your brain. Not your gut.

As the simplistic Life Is Good group says "Love what you do, do what you love."

Life all comes down to a few moments. This is one of them.

One of your best, igor. Bravo!

Newflash, CUSE.COM if Igor gets hired

Syracuse Cross Country Should Dominate but Won't*
By Igor

Martin Hehir will be one of Syracuse's top performers this year. He finished in third place at both the ACC Championship and NCAA Northeast Regional to help the team win both titles. During the indoor track season he set two school records in the mile and 3,000-meter run and became Syracuse's first-ever ACC Individual Champion in the outdoor season, winning the 10,000-meter race. However, Coach Fox is employing Tavern League Running Strategies* befitting the biggest Tavern League Lover in Onondaga County (Coach Boeheim). The cross country team looks tough but other teams' fear only lasts until the opposing coaches say "They are afraid of you. That's why they tavern league run on you." Coach Fox has World Dominating Runners, sure they look great in the early season beating cupcakes but,....

not only history, buts 3 of the next 8 ncs r ours. dino ball is dead.

Only 3 out of 8? I guess you are planning to start slow? Or will you have to wait a few years to flush JB's scrub recruits out of the program before you hit your stride?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom