OT - Ok SU students | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Ok SU students

Business Calculus is the worst class possible. It helps zero in your professional career.

Coming from a double major in Economics and Finance.

I took calc I-IV while in engineering my first two years and it only helped me to suffer through statics and advanced physics. Other than being a math nut it offers very little.

Wow. Phi 107. I took that 31 years ago.

In my opinion, the best classes the Phi department offered were the logic classes. May have been 200 level classes, but they were great for math/engineering students
Are you saying engineers are logical in their thinking or that they think they are logical? :p

Wow. Phi 107. I took that 31 years ago.

In my opinion, the best classes the Phi department offered were the logic classes. May have been 200 level classes, but they were great for math/engineering students
Agree 100%. Although, I would add that logic courses probably have a benefit for everyone in attempting to teach an ordered and, well, logical way of addressing real world problems.

Of course, we all know logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow
spock-2.jpg

I agree with people above.

I took Phi 107 and 191 (with Thomas). Really enjoyed them.

I was an international relations undergrad (focus on political economics) and information management grad.

Not sure how much they helped, but were enjoyable.

I took calc I-IV while in engineering my first two years and it only helped me to suffer through statics and advanced physics. Other than being a math nut it offers very little.

I guess I have a perspective closer to this, but I used the stuff repeatedly throughout. I hated math to no end in HS and was god awful at it. Turns out my undergrad degree had me within 2 courses of a BS in math. I probably should have just done it, but I didn't. Turned pro instead! :)

The classes being talked about here sound like a parody of college classes to me. I flunked Chemistry as a freshman. Took until Jr year when I took Quantum Mechanics, Nuclear Physics, and Astrophysics in the same semester that I was able to derive Chemistry 101 from the "source code" then it suddenly seemed obvious. Oh well.

and recent grads. Son wants to know what skinny you got on the following courses.

IST 101 Freshman Forum 1 cr

EEE 101 Discovering the Entrepreneur Within 1 cr

IST 195 Information Technologies 3 cr

SOM 122 Perspectives of Business Management 3 cr

MAT 284 Business Calculus 4 cr

EAR 105 Earth Science 3 cr

PHI 107 Theories of Knowledge and Reality 3 cr
I took Theories of Knowledge and Reality many moons ago, but back then, it was a better than average choice for the religion/philosophy block of credits you needed for graduate (I think you needed 16 then). I would take one every semester and get that requirement taken care of ASAP. It especially sounds good if a well thought of professor is teaching it.

Agree Business Calculus sounds like a bad choice. I didn't take Earth Science at SU because at the time I was filling my natural science obligations, I wanted to keep pre-med as an option (and I liked biology and chemistry more anyway), but for someone not pursuing a major focused on the natural sciences, it is a great choice. It is the easiest option out there.

sutomcat said:
I took Theories of Knowledge and Reality many moons ago, but back then, it was a better than average choice for the religion/philosophy block of credits you needed for graduate (I think you needed 16 then). I would take one every semester and get that requirement taken care of ASAP. It especially sounds good if a well thought of professor is teaching it. Agree Business Calculus sounds like a bad choice. I didn't take Earth Science at SU because at the time I was filling my natural science obligations, I wanted to keep pre-med as an option (and I liked biology and chemistry more anyway), but for someone not pursuing a major focused on the natural sciences, it is a great choice. It is the easiest option out there.

He doesn't have a choice on the business calculus course, it's required by his program. I think he was suppose to start with MAT 183 but he had to do a Math placement test and was able to test out of that and was able to start with the business calculus course which he would have had to take eventually.

He doesn't have a choice on the business calculus course, it's required by his program. I think he was suppose to start with MAT 183 but he had to do a Math placement test and was able to test out of that and was able to start with the business calculus course which he would have had to take eventually.
Bummer. Is the Physics of Toys course still being taught?

sutomcat said:
Bummer. Is the Physics of Toys course still being taught?

Lol. Never heard of it. Because he's doing a dual degree, he has zero flexibility and no free electives for those fun courses. He only had flexibility within a grouping such as natural science arts & humanities etc.

and recent grads. Son wants to know what skinny you got on the following courses.

I think EEE 101 is a newer course; not positive about that.

SOM 122 - basic business class; you really don't learn all that much. You'll have a big project at the end of the semester if it's still done the way it was done my freshman year (2011). Around a 20 page paper that you work on in groups of 4 or 5 if I remember right. I took it with Mitch Franklin; kind of a strange dude, but he does a GREAT job of keeping things interesting. If your son has any choice in who his professor is, I could probably help since I just graduated from Whitman a year ago.

PHI 107 - was one of my favorite classes, but the gist that I always heard is that each professor teaches it drastically different. Can't remember his full name, but my professor's last name was Wolf. Basically, he'd have us read an article or an excerpt from a book or something, and we'd have to just come in and talk about it, whether we agree or disagree, why, etc. In some cases, you'd be reading about types of arguments that you can make, and types of fallacies (begging the question, strawman, etc.), and you'd take small quizzes where you had to identify which is which. At the end of the semester, he gave us like 5 different "A or B" questions (ex: What's more valuable? Money or friends?" ... the actual questions were much more in depth than this, but that gives you the idea of what I mean). And you'd pick one question, pick a side, and then you had to do research and come up with an original argument all on your own. Personally, I love philosophy, love hearing new theories on things that you usually don't think about, so I was in love with this class, but it isn't for everyone.

EAR 105 - Not sure if it's still the case, but this used to be one of the "Easy A" courses that all my friends took. I had AP credit to cover that though.

MAT 284 - Had AP credit on this too.

IST 195 - I don't think I had to take this class; the only IST class I remember taking was a public speaking class where we simultaneously learned how to make better slide shows in PowerPoint and design graphics in PhotoShop.

IST 101 - Same as above.

LT!!! Haha loved when he called ppl out trying to sneak into the back of the auditorium.

When I had him he called out Preston Shumpert who was visiting the "bathroom" with all of his belongings. Basically LT said if you leave you aren't coming back.

Preston and I had a pretty good laugh about that at the Duke Alumni Tailgate two years ago. Apparently Preston remembered it as vividly as I did!

Last edited:
Melancer46 said:
I think EEE 101 is a newer course; not positive about that. SOM 122 - basic business class; you really don't learn all that much. You'll have a big project at the end of the semester if it's still done the way it was done my freshman year (2011). Around a 20 page paper that you work on in groups of 4 or 5 if I remember right. I took it with Mitch Franklin; kind of a strange dude, but he does a GREAT job of keeping things interesting. If your son has any choice in who his professor is, I could probably help since I just graduated from Whitman a year ago. PHI 107 - was one of my favorite classes, but the gist that I always heard is that each professor teaches it drastically different. Can't remember his full name, but my professor's last name was Wolf. Basically, he'd have us read an article or an excerpt from a book or something, and we'd have to just come in and talk about it, whether we agree or disagree, why, etc. In some cases, you'd be reading about types of arguments that you can make, and types of fallacies (begging the question, strawman, etc.), and you'd take small quizzes where you had to identify which is which. At the end of the semester, he gave us like 5 different "A or B" questions (ex: What's more valuable? Money or friends?" ... the actual questions were much more in depth than this, but that gives you the idea of what I mean). And you'd pick one question, pick a side, and then you had to do research and come up with an original argument all on your own. Personally, I love philosophy, love hearing new theories on things that you usually don't think about, so I was in love with this class, but it isn't for everyone. EAR 105 - Not sure if it's still the case, but this used to be one of the "Easy A" courses that all my friends took. I had AP credit to cover that though. MAT 284 - Had AP credit on this too. IST 195 - I don't think I had to take this class; the only IST class I remember taking was a public speaking class where we simultaneously learned how to make better slide shows in PowerPoint and design graphics in PhotoShop. IST 101 - Same as above.

Thanks for the info.

EEE101 is a course for Whitman and iShool students who choose to live in their learning community.

I don't think our school offered AP Earth Science. Could be wrong in that.

He didn't take AP Calc. He did take AP Stats which he had more interest in and will be credited for some stats course.

Thanks for the info.

EEE101 is a course for Whitman and iShool students who choose to live in their learning community.

I don't think our school offered AP Earth Science. Could be wrong in that.

He didn't take AP Calc. He did take AP Stats which he had more interest in and will be credited for some stats course.

Sounds good. Anyways, shoot me a message if he has any other questions. I'd be glad to help.

Pretty cool. He took so many SUPA, AP and college courses he's listed in the directory as a sophomore.

Speaking of which, obviously he doesn't have to do this, but I entered my freshman year basically a semester ahead, so I used that to add on a 2nd major and a minor so that I'd graduate in 4 years still, but have a little more under my belt.

Melancer46 said:
Speaking of which, obviously he doesn't have to do this, but I entered my freshman year basically a semester ahead, so I used that to add on a 2nd major and a minor so that I'd graduate in 4 years still, but have a little more under my belt.

That's what he's doing. Knowing he had over 30 credits coming in, he applied for and got accepted into a dual degree program between Whitman and the iSchool (17 freshman in program). So instead of the standard 120ish credits he needs 140 to earn that dual degree. He plans to add a minor too. Either sports management, his first love, or economics. So that'll require 158 or so credits. With the credits he already has, it puts him back to the 120's which is doable. But like a lot of kids, he could change majors 19 times.

Is PHI107 Lawrence Thomas? If so, he's in for a treat. Love LT.

Believe I took EAR105. Rocks for Jocks. Easy way to knock out a natural science requirement.

LT was a pretty funny dude, he was there when I was there. Only took 1 course of his, large class but it was entertaining. Gut gets carried away at times but good prof for sure

I think EEE 101 is a newer course; not positive about that.

SOM 122 - basic business class; you really don't learn all that much. You'll have a big project at the end of the semester if it's still done the way it was done my freshman year (2011). Around a 20 page paper that you work on in groups of 4 or 5 if I remember right. I took it with Mitch Franklin; kind of a strange dude, but he does a GREAT job of keeping things interesting. If your son has any choice in who his professor is, I could probably help since I just graduated from Whitman a year ago.

Mitch Franklin's a big SU hoops fan. Never heard a student say a bad thing about any of his courses when I was there. Like you said, maybe a little strange, but apparently a good professor.

Full_Rebar said:
Mitch Franklin's a big SU hoops fan. Never heard a student say a bad thing about any of his courses when I was there. Like you said, maybe a little strange, but apparently a good professor.

Son took a course with him last summer. Liked him a lot. Yes he's a big SU basketball fan. See him almost every game. He's also a HUGE Billy Joel fan. He's seen him live 40+ times I guess.

never mind - i should've read the rest of the thread

When I had him he called out Preston Shumpert who was visiting the "bathroom" with all of his belongings. Basically LT said if you leave you aren't coming back.

Preston and I had a pretty good laugh about that at the Duke Alumni Tailgate two years ago. Apparently Preston remembered it as vividly as I did!

I may have been in that class as well...I do remember him busting on Allen Griffin all the time though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom