OT: Oklahoma president wants Big 12 to consider re-expanding to 12 schools | Syracusefan.com

OT: Oklahoma president wants Big 12 to consider re-expanding to 12 schools

Moontan

2017 ESPN College Bowl Pick’em Winner
From this article:

"I'm an advocate of living up to our name," Boren said. "I was an advocate of it when we saw Louisville go other places and other things. I like being 12 rather than 10. I like that as long-range stability for the conference. Is it urgent? No.

"We should [expand] if we can find the right partners. Something we should strive for while we have the time, stability."

Boren also pointed out that the Big 12's television deal will stay the same proportionally if the conference expands. In other words, each school would continue to get the same amount of money annually should the Big 12 add two more schools due to the pro rata clause in the contract.

Totally expected and my guess for the two new additions would be Cincinnati and BYU.

Totally expected and my guess for the two new additions would be Cincinnati and BYU.
Don't tell our "friends" from Yukon that... but I agree. With the advent of the playoff and the non-P5 status snub from the ACC, BYU may now be a bit more flexible in order to make this work.

That would make the most sense. UCF is in that discussion as well.

BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Memphis are the teams the Big XII would probably look at if they are going to expand. I would bet on 2 Eastern teams for WVU.

its about time we got to an expansion thread.

cincinnati is a no brainer. put your toe into ohio and give wv a partner.

after that its murky.

they have to take innevitable and requisite run at nd 1st.

once theyre shot down, they will likely look at byu, memphis, the directional fla's and tulane.

my call would be memphis.

i would think they would continue to look east for eyeballs and wv, cincy and memphis form a nice eastern wall.

Division 1
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Memphis/Central Florida/BYU
West Virginia

Division 2
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech

2 solid divisions.

Division 1
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
West Virginia

Division 2
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech

2 solid divisions.
Geographical balance, yes. But right now, your Division 2 is light years ahead of Division 1 in terms of football.

Division 1
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
West Virginia

Division 2
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech

2 solid divisions.
i think the texas block would need to be split up a bit and id separate okie from texas.

division 1
cincy
memphis
wv
iowa st
texas
texas tech

division 2

baylor
kansas
k-state
okie
okie st
tcu

maybe swap baylor for iowa st if the texas' wanted another one.

Or there is no expansion and Boren is setting up a case for OU to leave the conference down the road?

Cheers,
Neil

That's my thinking. Seems like he's planting the seed to get everyone on board. They are clearly POed.

i think the texas block would need to be split up a bit and id separate okie from texas.

division 1
cincy
memphis
wv
iowa st
texas
texas tech

division 2

baylor
kansas
k-state
okie
okie st
tcu

maybe swap baylor for iowa st if the texas' wanted another one.
Texas and Oklahoma need to be in the same division. Texas especially doesn't want to have to play Oklahoma twice a year.

If they broke up North/South

I would go
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech
Kansas State
Kansas

Then
Baylor
Cincinnati
Central Florida/Memphis
Iowa State
TCU
West Virginia

Remember in 2011 the Pac-12 could have had Oklahoma and Oklahoma State as 13 and 14. However, the Pac-12 rejected the applications and that is what saved the 10 member Big XII.

UConn
th

Oklahoma wants expansion but a majority of the Big12 doesn't. Oklahoma was Louisville's biggest advocate to be accepted into the Big12. There is a lot of discontent on Oklahoma forums like LandThieves and some are saying that Boren is saying this publicly due to the unhappiness of the major donors in the Big12. Boren saying this publicly might help increase donations because he's perceived on their side. There is definitely a feeling of discontent among Oklahoma fans, but that's also probably in part because of their struggles on the field recently.

I do eventually think the Big12 expands with UCF and Cinci. It adds two relatively strong markets and fertile recruiting grounds. I think if they wait until 2027 to expand that they will be the conference to be picked apart. That is why I think they eventually expand within 5 or so years.

UConn
th
When I first saw this thread started, I said to myself, "The over/under for the first UConn mention is 5 minutes." This post was well over 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Well done, board!

Remember in 2011 the Pac-12 could have had Oklahoma and Oklahoma State as 13 and 14. However, the Pac-12 rejected the applications and that is what saved the 10 member Big XII.

Huh? My understanding was that the Pac-10 wanted to go to 16 with Texas, aTm, Texas Tech, OK, OK State and Colorado, but Texas got cold feet and the whole thing blew up. When was this application denial reported, I must have totally missed it.

When I first saw this thread started, I said to myself, "The over/under for the first UConn mention is 5 minutes." This post was well over 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Well done, board!
Check again - Moontan brought them up 9 minutes in.

Huh? My understanding was that the Pac-10 wanted to go to 16 with Texas, aTm, Texas Tech, OK, OK State and Colorado, but Texas got cold feet and the whole thing blew up. When was this application denial reported, I must have totally missed it.
Oklahoma wanted to move West even if Texas didn't want too. Oklahoma State attached itself to OU and OU applied to the Pac-12. The Pac-12 stupidly decided they didn't want Oklahoma/Oklahoma State without Texas coming on board. Thus, the Pac-12 helped saved the 10 team Big XII by rejecting Oklahoma's application.

The Pac-12 stupidly wanted Texas if they were taking Oklahoma. If OU and Okie State go West in 2011 I really wonder what happens to Texas. The remaining Big XII teams non-Texas are in the American most likely.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...homa-oklahoma-state-surprised-by-pac-12-snub/

Oklahoma wanted to move West even if Texas didn't want too. Oklahoma State attached itself to OU and OU applied to the Pac-12. The Pac-12 stupidly decided they didn't want Oklahoma/Oklahoma State without Texas coming on board. Thus, the Pac-12 helped saved the 10 team Big XII by rejecting Oklahoma's application.

The Pac-12 stupidly wanted Texas if they were taking Oklahoma. If OU and Okie State go West in 2011 I really wonder what happens to Texas. The remaining Big XII teams non-Texas are in the American most likely.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...homa-oklahoma-state-surprised-by-pac-12-snub/

OK. Seems like there's a lot of speculation in that article, and it wasn't that the Pac-12 formally voted against OU/OSU, which is what I took your post to mean.

OK. Seems like there's a lot of speculation in that article, and it wasn't that the Pac-12 formally voted against OU/OSU, which is what I took your post to mean.
Pac-12 schools had a meeting and they decided they didn't want Oklahoma/Oklahoma State without Texas. They voted, but you never formally vote unless your extending an invitation. Even though Louisville was picked over UConn when the ACC replaced Maryland the vote was 13-0 even though it was not actually 13-0 in the room. Formal decisions are always unanimous for appearance sake.
Allegedly, Stanford and Colorado were the teams that whipped enough resistance to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State without Texas coming on board.
Stanford didn't like Oklahoma State's academics and Colorado was fighting to get more games on the West Coast and didn't want to play more games in the Southwest.

If I could a take a year off my job I honestly could write a really good College Football expansion book. I would just need to schedule interviews with tons of people at the schools and it would sell a lot of books as fans love this expansion stuff. I just don't have the time and without proper citations its all unverified. However, the Pac-12 most certainly declined Oklahoma and Oklahoma State from joining in 2011. Oklahoma was ready to get away from Texas as the Longhorns showed the gap between Oklahoma and Texas is about the size of the gap between Oklahoma and Iowa State in terms of actual power. Texas is the 1000 lb guerrilla and Oklahoma is a like 500 lb guerrilla in terms of power.

They've got some options. If they want to push further into the southwest, New Mexico and Nevada are available. Cincy or Memphis is available if they want a natural travel partner for WVU. If they're targeting solely based on recent success, they could make a push towards UCF. If they want to get back into Colorado, Colorado St. is available. And then there's BYU. And if they really want to get crazy they could always take a stab at Boise St.

They definitely could get to 12, or even 14 pretty easily if they wanted to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom