OT: Oklahoma president wants Big 12 to consider re-expanding to 12 schools | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Oklahoma president wants Big 12 to consider re-expanding to 12 schools

If I could a take a year off my job I honestly could write a really good College Football expansion book. I would just need to schedule interviews with tons of people at the schools and it would sell a lot of books as fans love this expansion stuff. I just don't have the time and without proper citations its all unverified. However, the Pac-12 most certainly declined Oklahoma and Oklahoma State from joining in 2011. Oklahoma was ready to get away from Texas as the Longhorns showed the gap between Oklahoma and Texas is about the size of the gap between Oklahoma and Iowa State in terms of actual power. Texas is the 1000 lb guerrilla and Oklahoma is a like 500 lb guerrilla in terms of power.
Man, I've thought writing such a book would be like a dream job. The amount of strategery, skullduggery and head feints that went on would make an awesome read - assuming you could get folks to talk off the record.

I always end up mentioning this for some reason. :rolleyes:

One of the gurus on our board said that UT met with reps from the ACC and was offered the same deal as ND but turned them down.

If I could a take a year off my job I honestly could write a really good College Football expansion book. I would just need to schedule interviews with tons of people at the schools and it would sell a lot of books as fans love this expansion stuff. I just don't have the time and without proper citations its all unverified. However, the Pac-12 most certainly declined Oklahoma and Oklahoma State from joining in 2011. Oklahoma was ready to get away from Texas as the Longhorns showed the gap between Oklahoma and Texas is about the size of the gap between Oklahoma and Iowa State in terms of actual power. Texas is the 1000 lb guerrilla and Oklahoma is a like 500 lb guerrilla in terms of power.
Man, I've thought writing such a book would be like a dream job. The amount of strategery, skullduggery and head feints that went on would make an awesome read - assuming you could get folks to talk off the record.
You could devote at least a whole chapter to the Dud of WV.

People will talk you just to ask the right questions. Since really only UConn and Cincinnati have lost in realignment most schools would cooperate and public schools you FOIA discussions electronically. This type of project just requires a lot of time to do it right.

BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Memphis are the teams the Big XII would probably look at if they are going to expand. I would bet on 2 Eastern teams for WVU.
How could the Big 12 pass on UConn...the greatest university ever created, it's the absolute best in everything doesn't everyone know that?

How could the Big 12 pass on UConn...the greatest university ever created, it's the absolute best in everything doesn't everyone know that?
UConn is too good for the Big 12 they will only settle for the Big Ten. Everyone knows UConn and Virginia are the teams the Big Ten is trying to add.

The Dude of WV, Tuxedo Yoda and company surely would be mentioned.

If the ACC could get Texas on the ND deal it would stupid not to do so.

and Frank the Tank, OrangeBloods, et al. Man it would be fun talking with all the ADs.

From this article:

"I'm an advocate of living up to our name," Boren said. "I was an advocate of it when we saw Louisville go other places and other things. I like being 12 rather than 10. I like that as long-range stability for the conference. Is it urgent? No.

"We should [expand] if we can find the right partners. Something we should strive for while we have the time, stability."

Boren also pointed out that the Big 12's television deal will stay the same proportionally if the conference expands. In other words, each school would continue to get the same amount of money annually should the Big 12 add two more schools due to the pro rata clause in the contract.
So expect that U Texas will come out shortly with a statement that there is no immediate need for expansion. They will want to reinforce they are the big dog...not OU (so pipe down Boren).

The Big 12 completely blew it by taking WVU over Louisville. Anytime someone opines that conference realignment was some well thought out affair I direct them to that bit of in-the-moment foolishness.
And Louisville lucked out in the end.

The Big 12 completely blew it by taking WVU over Louisville. Anytime someone opines that conference realignment was some well thought out affair I direct them to that bit of in-the-moment foolishness.
yep.

but the whole thing was screwed once the ACC didnt go right to 15 with rutgers.

i bet the b1g would still be at 12.

yep.

I think the mistake the ACC made was not taking (alpha) Louisville, Pitt, SU, and WVU back in 2011. Academic snobbery and the ever elusive pipe dream of ND kept that from coming to fruition.

I think Rutgers has more value to the B1G then it ever could provide to the ACC. And whatever that value is now of adding Rutgers and Maryland to PSU in terms of NYC and DC would have been less impactful on an ACC with BC, Pitt, SU, UConn (the likely replacement for Maryland in this scenario), UVa, VT, WVU, and a partial ND.

But it's all 20-20 hindsight.

Cheers,
Neil

yep.

If RU wasn't available then the Big Ten likely add Missouri and when the SEC expanded with Texas A&M then Virginia Tech is likely as the 14th team target for the SEC. The ACC didn't need Rutgers. Rutgers value is to the Big Ten by allowing them to get the BTN and carriage fee on in NYC. It worked out for everyone's benefit except UConn and Cincinnati.

The biggest mistake is what Scooch said the Big XII taking WVU over Louisville. WVU was never getting in the Big Ten or ACC but by letting Louisville slip by they lost their chance at Louisville, Cincinnati and West Virginia as replacements for Texas A&M, Colorado, and Missouri.

The biggest mistake is what Scooch said the Big XII taking WVU over Louisville. WVU was never getting in the Big Ten or ACC but by letting Louisville slip by they lost their chance at Louisville, Cincinnati and West Virginia as replacements for Texas A&M, Colorado, and Missouri.

Yet Louisville got in the ACC a year later. In hindsight, I don't see how FSU and Clemson don't force WVU in as Maryland's replacement just like they did Louisville's. The ACC needed a football program greatly and as great as Louisville is as an overall athletic program, the Eers are the better football program both historically and even now. WVU in the ACC would have meant more for the conference's football prowess than even the Cards.

And I think everyone knows how much respect I have for Louisville's football potential.

If the B12 made a mistake the mistake was not taking WVU and TCU immediately (remember they needed teams that could start right in 2012), along with Louisville and Cincinnati (since Louisville didn't want to flip the bird to the Big East as badly as the Eers did as I recall). That trifecta to bring them to 12 was the mistake, imho. Not taking WVU over Louisville.

Cheers,
Neil

Somewhat similar to the 2003 situation... damned politicians!

UConn is too good for the Big 12 they will only settle for the Big Ten. Everyone knows UConn and Virginia are the teams the Big Ten is trying to add.
I predict Yukon to the ACC...Cincy would be OK too...ESPN would have to support it though with $$$$

I predict Yukon to the ACC...Cincy would be OK too...ESPN would have to support it though with $$$$
I suspect that the ACC will always try to save a spot for ND. Unless a great combination of schools become available with which ND could be forced to decide whether it's truly "in", I just don't see the ACC expanding unless it has to. If there are defections the conference may even be happy to stay at 12+ND.

I suspect that the ACC will always try to save a spot for ND. Unless a great combination of schools become available with which ND could be forced to decide whether it's truly "in", I just don't see the ACC expanding unless it has to. If there are defections the conference may even be happy to stay at 12+ND.

No conference is making incremental money via expansion any more. The best they can hope for is keeping their per-team payouts the same. The only upside for the B12 is creating a conference championship game by getting back to 12 -- of course that may be moot anyway if the P5/NCAA decide to let conferences have a champ game regardless of their number of members.

I really don't see what the motivation is for anyone in the near future. If the B12 can get a conference champ game at 10 members, and they're not trying to get into markets to launch a TV network, and each school's payout won't increase, then why expand?

Scooch as you know the Cincy-Dayton DMA is awesome for college sports. Hartford's is good too...especially for girls hoops. You think ESPN would support the ACC and their fledgling network with those additions?

I would ESPN would rather have those markets in the ESPN world than FOX.

If the B12 can get a conference champ game at 10 members, and they're not trying to get into markets to launch a TV network, and each school's payout won't increase, then why expand?
The article indicated that the per-school payout would remain the same if they B12 were to expand to 12. The lack of a championship game could've cost the conference a spot in last year's playoff. Returning to 12 would ensure that they could/would have a championship game even without any additional NCAA rules changes.

Scooch as you know the Cincy-Dayton DMA is awesome for college sports. Hartford's is good too...especially for girls hoops. You think ESPN would support the ACC and their fledgling network with those additions?

I would ESPN would rather have those markets in the ESPN world than FOX.
I don't think any conference is expanding for women's hoops. Cincy-Dayton DMA might have huge sports fans, but not enough eyes to move the needle.

TexanMark said:
Scooch as you know the Cincy-Dayton DMA is awesome for college sports. Hartford's is good too...especially for girls hoops. You think ESPN would support the ACC and their fledgling network with those additions? I would ESPN would rather have those markets in the ESPN world than FOX.

What network?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom