OT: Petrino worth 4 mil? | Syracusefan.com

OT: Petrino worth 4 mil?

Maybe, if he had a Teddy Bridgewater with a full supporting cast. I am not convinced of his "total" genius. He had Bridgewater, a fast defense and the competition level was less than he now faces. He has failed to impress me as being in the rarified air of other esteemed coaches in our league (and Division!). A solid salary with large bonuses would be more appropriate, especially as he will face the Clemson and FSU (and soon you can add the ORANGE) hurdles annually.

Totally agree, this guy is a tool. Out for himself and i agree teddy was his ticket. That said, teddy seems like a great guy. That friday night we jumped the ville in the dome with marrone was electric. I sit 3 rows off the visitors bench and teddy took it like the pro he IS.

Bobby Petrino has a 100-39 record. Has led two different schools to top 10 finishes (Arkansas once, UofL twice). Has been to two major bowl games and won one of them. Has only had a losing record once (5-7 his first season at Arkansas) while coaching three different teams.

Charlie Strong recruited and coached Bridgewater. Petrino recruited and coached Brohm (who was QB when they won the Orange Bowl). Even without Brohm, Petrino led Louisville to 9-4 and 11-1 records in his first two seasons as head coach (both in C-USA). He also recruited Lamar Jackson.

He may be a scumbag but he's one of the best football coaches in the country.

sumlin, shaw, saban, miles, dabo, jimbo, Peterson, stoops, mcelvain (fla), and the Tennessee coach. not even in the top ten.

McElwain? Sumlin? Butch Jones? Come on, where are you coming up with this list?

Yeah, I know he's been a flight risk. Either running off to another job at the drop of a hat, or taking high speed motorcycle rides with the administrative staff.

But you can't question that he's one of the top college football coaches in the sport.

Louisville is making a bet that his worst moments are behind him. I'd probably make the same one.

i'd like to think that casually tossing in "and the Tennessee coach" and implying he didn't know the coach's name is a signal that the post was parody...because if not, that is a reaaaaallllly bizarre list.

Yeah, I know he's been a flight risk. Either running off to another job at the drop of a hat, or taking high speed motorcycle rides with the administrative staff.

But you can't question that he's one of the top college football coaches in the sport.

Louisville is making a bet that his worst moments are behind him. I'd probably make the same one.
100% agreed. Guy's a hell of a football coach and Louisville just has to hope and pray he doesn't screw up again.

100% agreed. Guy's a hell of a football coach and Louisville just has to hope and pray he doesn't screw up again.

Or do a Waaaaaaaayyyyyyy better job of covering ut up and paying people off next time, and I am pretty confident there will be a next time. There always is with these types, he didn't make this mistake in his 20's. That was one of many I assure you, he just got caught this time is all.

Yes, think they are all better than petrino, add in gus malzon at auburn. Plus harbough, urban meyer, D'Antonio,. Yup petrino doesn't sniff the top ten.

Living here, I think Petrino is over all his stupid past moves. He deserves the pay. Anyone hear about Lamar Jackson's performance today in their spring game? The kid has an arm.

Bobby Petrino has a 100-39 record. Has led two different schools to top 10 finishes (Arkansas once, UofL twice). Has been to two major bowl games and won one of them. Has only had a losing record once (5-7 his first season at Arkansas) while coaching three different teams.

Charlie Strong recruited and coached Bridgewater. Petrino recruited and coached Brohm (who was QB when they won the Orange Bowl). Even without Brohm, Petrino led Louisville to 9-4 and 11-1 records in his first two seasons as head coach (both in C-USA). He also recruited Lamar Jackson.

He may be a scumbag but he's one of the best football coaches in the country.
I really don't get how people argue against that. He is a good coach. He may be a terrible person, but that's besides the point.

Additionally, I don't get why anyone is talking about affording him. Any P5 team in the country can afford $4 million a year for a good coach. What separates the rich from the poor is the ability to afford a bad coach. Winning makes incredible amounts of money. Conversely, losing costs astounding amounts of money.

Yeah, when you look at some of the other coaches making $4M a year, it's hard to claim that Petrino hasn't proven himself to be as good a coach. All these guys are making around $4M or more..

Bielema
Dan Mullen
Kirk Ferentz
Malzahn
James Franklin
Charlie Strong

Character issues aside...is Petrino really not in that class as a coach?

The entire SEC West is over $4m, and I'm not sure anyone other than Saban or Miles is definitively better. I don't think it says as much about Petrino as it does about $4M not being a "best of the best" salary anymore.

This is the new world. The ACC now has four $4M coaches, which is moving in the right direction, up from one last year. That puts them well ahead of the PAC, and in the neighborhood of the Big 12 and Big 10. If UNC has another big year, I have to imagine Fedora will be due for around that neighborhood.

If you are pulling for ACC football, you want to see this, even if it's ridiculous on the face of it. Got to pay to be in the game today.

Yeah, when you look at some of the other coaches making $4M a year, it's hard to claim that Petrino hasn't proven himself to be as good a coach. All these guys are making around $4M or more..

Bielema
Dan Mullen
Kirk Ferentz
Malzahn
James Franklin
Charlie Strong

Character issues aside...is Petrino really not in that class as a coach?

The entire SEC West is over $4m, and I'm not sure anyone other than Saban or Miles is definitively better. I don't think it says as much about Petrino as it does about $4M not being a "best of the best" salary anymore.

This is the new world. The ACC now has four $4M coaches, which is moving in the right direction, up from one last year. That puts them well ahead of the PAC, and in the neighborhood of the Big 12 and Big 10. If UNC has another big year, I have to imagine Fedora will be due for around that neighborhood.

If you are pulling for ACC football, you want to see this, even if it's ridiculous on the face of it. Got to pay to be in the game today.
If UNC-CHeat has another big year Fedora will be gone. Most folks on our board believed that Fedora would not be in Chapel Hole beyond the term his initial contract. He would either not perform to their expectations and be fired, or he would do well and get a "bigger" job, probably an SEC team.

No coach is worth 2 million let alone 4 million...period
This I agree...just like CEO pay...however, their pay is higher because risk of short term employment is high and the hours are long...they can never truly checkoff the clock.

I think in today's dollars $1M a year is about right for the top guys...but most of the staff at all but the top jobs are underpaid.

But I agree with what Lou_C said...gotta match or be close to the SEC.

This I agree...just like CEO pay...however, their pay is higher because risk of short term employment is high and the hours are long...they can never truly checkoff the clock.

I think in today's dollars $1M a year is about right for the top guys...but most of the staff at all but the top jobs are underpaid.

But I agree with what Lou_C said...gotta match or be close to the SEC.
Let me give you push on this point. From a W/L perspective, what's the difference between a "good" HC and a "bad" HC (all other factors being equal)?

Let me give you push on this point. From a W/L perspective, what's the difference between a "good" HC and a "bad" HC (all other factors being equal)?
Pay a coach, $50-$100K, base. Every win is another $100K. Or a similar variation. Pay for performance.

Pay a coach, $50-$100K, base. Every win is another $100K. Or a similar variation. Pay for performance.
What established coach is going to take that risk and/or that variability in earnings?

What established coach is going to take that risk and/or that variability in earnings?
Yeah, that is an issue. However, if the number was increased ($220K, $300K $400k/win?), you would find a taker that believed he would make a killing, at least periodically.

Seriously, no one would take it unless they were an up and coming coach willing to risk a little more for a better option. Fundamentally, though, a deal like this where a guy like Babers could cash in would be perfect for a school like Syracuse. The school would pay for the number of wins and would draw enough fans to support the increased pay on a win basis. But then with a few years of success, an elite school would hire the same guy away with a guaranteed salary to stop losing to guys like Babers and to keep other liete coaches from demanding a guaranteed salary to equal the top end of a pay for performance deal.

Sales works on this principle but not many people are willing to risk so much like sales people.

In truth, I probably wouldn't take a deal like this at this time in my life. Maybe if I was a younger coach but as I am neither young nor a coach, the point is moot.

Huh? A good coach generates 100X those salaries in revenue for a program.
So if Saban is earning nearly 7 million a year and him being the gold standard he should earn the school $690 million a year in returns. Did I get your numbers correct?

Lets keep it real here.