OT- Sacramento Fires coach and wants to experiment with 4 on 5 defense | Syracusefan.com

OT- Sacramento Fires coach and wants to experiment with 4 on 5 defense

Alsacs

Living Legend
The Kings fired their coach and their owner wants to hire a coach who will follow his radical idea of playing 4 on 5 defensively and have a player cherry pick for easy baskets.

This idea has no chance to work in the NBA because the players in the NBA can shoot and consistently giving open looks to a pro team would kill you. However, this idea in college basketball would be fascinating to see. College shooting is nowhere near as good as it is in the NBA. It would be cool to see if a college team could play a 1-2-1 zone defensively and have one player cherry pick.

The Kings fired their coach and their owner wants to hire a coach who will follow his radical idea of playing 4 on 5 defensively and have a player cherry pick for easy baskets.

This idea has no chance to work in the NBA because the players in the NBA can shoot and consistently giving open looks to a pro team would kill you. However, this idea in college basketball would be fascinating to see. College shooting is nowhere near as good as it is in the NBA. It would be cool to see if a college team could play a 1-2-1 zone defensively and have one player cherry pick.
this owner coached little girls basketball and thinks it's the same thing.

The high school coach for one of my boys did a bit of this; not a good idea.

this owner coached little girls basketball and thinks it's the same thing.
I know that and this idea could never work in pro basketball because the players can shoot the ball and if you consistently give them open looks they will make the shots, but college basketball doesn't have anywhere near the same level of shooting that the NBA has.

This 4 on 5 is stupid but I would be fascinated to see it implemented in college basketball over the NBA.

The funniest/saddest thing is he got the idea from his daughter's youth league games!

Unbelievable. Getting fired from an NBA head coach job is normally probably very tough, but Malone should consider it a favor. Imagine having some moron owner like that lurking over your shoulder, referencing his daughter's youth league games in NBA strategy?

I don't understand how this would work at all, at any level above 10 year olds. As soon as a shot went up, all you'd have to do is have the top man rotate out to the other end of the court. The time it would take to gather a rebound and outlet the ball or take the ball out of the hoop and inbound it, would negate any advantage of having a cherry picker. :noidea:

The other owners should force him to sell the team as he's damaging the league. ;)

This would be like "game theory". One team keeps a guy back, heading into defense 4v5, so the other team puts a guy back to stop the outlet pass/cherry picking bucket, causing the first team to put a second guy back, heading into defense 3v4, etc, until both teams are just staying on one side of the court all game :)

In the NBA they would simply move the ball until they got a layup and someone would have the responsibility of busting it back to disrupt possible passing lanes before the other 4 got back. I don't even think they would have to shoot jumpers because if the team with 4 defenders tried to close out at all then offense would dictate with ball movement.

The big question now is who in their right mind wants to coach there and how are they ever getting a good free agent while this owner is there? Draft picks might even be better off going over seas than playing for this guy.

Player: "I was signed by Sacramento to play the 1."
Media: "You've always played the 4 in your career so far."
Player: "I mean the 1 guy by himself in their defensive scheme."

Edit: "I mean the 1 guy who doesn't play defense." :)

Last edited:
Not for nothing, but with how athletic NBA players are, wouldn't you think as long as they had someone get back once a shot goes up that they'd easily be able to recover in time to completely negate a cherry picker? lol

Maybe it would work once or twice if a guy forgot to get back, but I can't imagine how this would ever be even remotely close to a good idea, and I imagine that's why the Kings haven't actually tried this.

The big question now is who in their right mind wants to coach there and how are they ever getting a good free agent while this owner is there? Draft picks might even be better off going over seas than playing for this guy.

Those were my questions also. Somehow I don't see Phil Jackson or Pat Riley coming out of the front office and back to the bench to work for this guy :)

Not for nothing, but with how athletic NBA players are, wouldn't you think as long as they had someone get back once a shot goes up that they'd easily be able to recover in time to completely negate a cherry picker? lol

Maybe it would work once or twice if a guy forgot to get back, but I can't imagine how this would ever be even remotely close to a good idea, and I imagine that's why the Kings haven't actually tried this.

I agree they would at least be able to disrupt the passing lane available especially if you have a fairly athletic forward who could shoot playing at the FT line area and assign them floor balance responsibility and tell them to never worry about rebounding just bust it back as soon as they shoot.

if it ever worked, they'd just change the rules.

The funniest/saddest thing is he got the idea from his daughter's youth league games!

Unbelievable. Getting fired from an NBA head coach job is normally probably very tough, but Malone should consider it a favor. Imagine having some moron owner like that lurking over your shoulder, referencing his daughter's youth league games in NBA strategy?
Was it the daughter that represented them at the NBA draft? If so, she seems like a lovely human being and the type of person most of us would probably enjoy spending time with.

It would never work -- players will bury open shots at a high rate. and instead of crashing boards you will have one of the guards getting back as soon as the shot goes up (and a forward hounding the rebounder or inbounder to increase trajectory on the pass). Sure it will work time to time even with a guard going back, but it will result in so many turnovers that net net its terrible.

The strategy may work as a one off executed a few times a season, but not as a strategy that teams can EASILY prepare for.

Also if you tell your offensive rebounder that has main objective is not to get the rebound, but for post rebound position and to always ensure that he can get a hand in the face of the defensive rebounder, it kills it.

I don't think 4 on 5 would be a very good idea to do the entire game, but I've always wondered why teams who are ahead by 6-7 points don't do this at the end of games? Even if the team makes the basket throw the ball down court and get an easy 2 points. You can't trade 2 for 3 for a long period of time, but when ahead with little time left why not try this?

Was it the daughter that represented them at the NBA draft? If so, she seems like a lovely human being and the type of person most of us would probably enjoy spending time with.

That was the Bucks.

Mallory Edens was the Bucks representative at the NBA lottery. This Kings coach is a wannabe Mark Cuban with this stupid idea.

NBA missed out on making the Bucks-Kings a rivalry. Silver needs to do a better job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom