Class of 2016 - OT Sam Heckel (WI) SIGNED LOI | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 OT Sam Heckel (WI) SIGNED LOI

I'm just gonna say what we're all thinking: I really hope that Wisconsin doesn't come sniffing around.

At least one advantage we have this time is that he's not a legacy. We may still have lost Beau B but the legacy thing really hurt us on that one.

I'm all for getting those offensive line recruits from the corn-fed states, i.e. Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska. They always seem to produce good college offensive linemen.

Seems like this class will be really solid with RW44 and Rex as the stars. Adding Moe or a stud WR would be sweet.

But overall there isn't a kid I don't like.

Seems like this class will be really solid with RW44 and Rex as the stars. Adding Moe or a stud WR would be sweet.

But overall there isn't a kid I don't like.
Agreed. Though I would like to see a DT or two also.

Yeah, it's a peeve, but let's be honest...what's more important, the fact that he swapped the S and the U, or the fact that he chose the S and the U?
Yup - just as long as he doesn't swap the U of S for the U of W

His older brother (HS class of 2013) was a TE at NIU. He's no longer on the roster and doesn't appear in their directory. If he was still at NIU it could have led to a different commitment from Sam.

His older brother (HS class of 2013) was a TE at NIU. He's no longer on the roster and doesn't appear in their directory. If he was still at NIU it could have led to a different commitment from Sam.
Hmm maybe if he's a good character guy we could reach out to the brother for a preferred walk on transfer and let him earn a schollie of he's talented and a team player

Sam, welcome to the Syracuse Football family!
sam heckel062715_S_SamHeckel_Courtesy.jpg

I'll take these size lineman over the 310lbs. all the time as it so much easier to build up than saying put them on a diet and have a tear down and build up process.

For years the top programs in the south took lot's of O'LINEMAN in this weight range. Mobile o'lineman are an asset

Love this pickup.

Good frame - Check
Character - Check
Grades- Check

In terms of football ability, technique will be taught and refined. You know what you can't teach? Relentlessness and nastiness.

This kid keeps going to the whistle and he wants to destroy you. I love that edge up front. Looks like he brings a DEfensive mentality to the OL.

Quality pickup - reminds me a lot of Trudo.

Nice. I'm a believer in 3 star OL.
My stance on OL is always this: how many guys with good frames and some athleticism can you sign? Numbers are far more important than stars, IMO, b/c it's difficult to project the position and you always need at least 8 guys that can play. It's really hard -- outside of maybe a few elites -- to continually grab Adam Terrys and Justin Pughs. I feel like it's a little different at other positions for some reason.

My stance on OL is always this: how many guys with good frames and some athleticism can you sign? Numbers are far more important than stars, IMO, b/c it's difficult to project the position and you always need at least 8 guys that can play. It's really hard -- outside of maybe a few elites -- to continually grab Adam Terrys and Justin Pughs. I feel like it's a little different at other positions for some reason.
I'd like to test this some time, but I think stars can really matter when it comes to OL, ie there's an accumulation affect, like OL performance is consistently good if across the 5 OL spots there's a total of 14 stars, and OLs are really good if across the 5 spots they have 17+ or something like that. I get what you're saying, and it's similar to centers in basketball, but I feel better about signing the big guys that are rated more highly than not.

I'd like to test this some time, but I think stars can really matter when it comes to OL, ie there's an accumulation affect, like OL performance is consistently good if across the 5 OL spots there's a total of 14 stars, and OLs are really good if across the 5 spots they have 17+ or something like that. I get what you're saying, and it's similar to centers in basketball, but I feel better about signing the big guys that are rated more highly than not.

I'm pretty sure historically our best lineman have been the more lightly recruited kids.

I'm pretty sure historically our best lineman have been the more lightly recruited kids.
Which is partly why I'd like to test this more widely. We're just one case in the sample.

I could this being a flip down the road so I won't feel comfortable until the ink dries.

Even northwestern could decide they 'have room'
Why do you worry on every commit we have for being a flip? Be and stay positive!!!!! That's two today in about an half hour apart.

Name one program that has never had a flip? Besides I bet the vast majority of any program's commits stay committed to that program. I love our odds all the time.

If they flip so be it.

Why do you worry on every commit we have for being a flip? Be and stay positive!!!!! That's two today in about an half hour apart.

Name one program that has never had a flip? Besides I bet the vast majority of any program's commits stay committed to that program. I love our odds all the time.

If they flip so be it.

You must be mistaking me for someone else because I rarely worry about flips. But similar to colon and ped state, this kid is just saving his seat at our table. He said as much about being worried the spot would get taken.

Obviously anything can happen with any commit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom