OT - SMART TVs and WatchESPN/ESPN3 | Syracusefan.com

OT - SMART TVs and WatchESPN/ESPN3

jpac

Walk On
Need advice so I can watch all Cuse Football & Bball not on tv: Looking into getting another Smart TV. Currently have a Samsung smart TV but it doesn't have the WatchESPN app. Does any know or have a Smart TV that has the WatchESPN app native to it's app downloads because Samsung doesn't. Or what about Roku players and such...is there one that you can download WatchESPN? And Google Chromecast...does this work for WatchESPN/ESPN3 specifically using an Ipad? Thanks!

Need advice so I can watch all Cuse Football & Bball not on tv: Looking into getting another Smart TV. Currently have a Samsung smart TV but it doesn't have the WatchESPN app. Does any know or have a Smart TV that has the WatchESPN app native to it's app downloads because Samsung doesn't. Or what about Roku players and such...is there one that you can download WatchESPN? And Google Chromecast...does this work for WatchESPN/ESPN3 specifically using an Ipad? Thanks!

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/faq

I'd go with an Apple TV ($85). Streams ESPN3 pretty well.

I've heard good things about a Roku too.

Just keep this in mind:

Is there a cost to download the WatchESPN app?
WatchESPN is free. However, you must be a subscriber of a participating TV service provider in order to have access to the full range of networks.

I have had Roku for a number of years and think it's great. I also had the WatchESPN app but it was worthless since I don't have a subscription with a cable/satellite provider.

PS: I also tried the Amazon Fire Roku clone. It has great features but was constantly buffering--Roku not so much.

The WatchESPN app is not native to any TV, so don't go buy a new set if that's your purpose!

You will need to use an over-the-top streaming player that connects to a TV, like an Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast or Xbox.

I have a Roku and I love it to death.

Roku is the way to go, it's awesome and easy to use and set up.

They have a couple different models of different price scales.

Roku is the way to go, it's awesome and easy to use and set up.

They have a couple different models of different price scales.
Which Roku do you recommend? And how does it work i.e. you download the espn app on to it or is it like Google Chromecast?

jpac,

I recently got a Samsung Smart TV. Do not need the watchESPN app. I open up the web browser on the tv and go to ESPN3.com. From there, you can open up the media player and go full screen and watch the game. I've used it already and works well.

jpac,

I recently got a Samsung Smart TV. Do not need the watchESPN app. I open up the web browser on the tv and go to ESPN3.com. From there, you can open up the media player and go full screen and watch the game. I've used it already and works well.

Freaking Awesome!!!!...haven't used the web browser on the tv yet so I didn't even thing about this way. Thanks for the heads up! I'll try it later this afternoon once I get home from work! Hope it works well so I can watch the game tomorrow...can't wait! Let's Go Orange!!!!!

Which Roku do you recommend? And how does it work i.e. you download the espn app on to it or is it like Google Chromecast?

I got the highest model since the difference at the time was like $20 and it was supposed to load faster but also has the headphone jack which I have used a lot.

Pretty easy to download, there is a channel store essentially and you click and load the "channels" that you want to see on your main interface.

jpac,

No problem. There's a colorful button in the middle of the remote called "Smart Hub". Click that and it will take you to a series of icons, one of which is a globe. That's the web browser. Click on that and then type in ESPN3.com and away you go. For games that are only on ESPN3, like our game tomorrow, you don't have to type in your subscriber info. Just click on the game link and you're good. If a game is on ESPN, ESPN2, SEC Network, etc. and is also running on ESPN3, then you have to type in your subscriber info. In the game listings, if there is a key icon next to the game, then you have to type in your subscriber info.

qdawgg said:
I got the highest model since the difference at the time was like $20 and it was supposed to load faster but also has the headphone jack which I have used a lot.

Pretty easy to download, there is a channel store essentially and you click and load the "channels" that you want to see on your main interface.

Agreed. The highest model (3 I think) it's what I have, and it's not all that expensive.

The headphone jack comes in handy for sure, like when watching the wire our wolf of wall street after the kiddies are in bed.

jpac,

No problem. There's a colorful button in the middle of the remote called "Smart Hub". Click that and it will take you to a series of icons, one of which is a globe. That's the web browser. Click on that and then type in ESPN3.com and away you go. For games that are only on ESPN3, like our game tomorrow, you don't have to type in your subscriber info. Just click on the game link and you're good. If a game is on ESPN, ESPN2, SEC Network, etc. and is also running on ESPN3, then you have to type in your subscriber info. In the game listings, if there is a key icon next to the game, then you have to type in your subscriber info.

Franz69,

Did you have to update Adobe on the browser the first time you accessed ESPN3 on the tv? The site needed the latest version of Adobe for unix but I kept getting the error msg: Unable to download. Will try again before the game. Hope it downloads then.

jpac, I have had a Samsung Smart TV for quite a few years and can tell you that Flash does not run on it. The operating system is Linux. The browser is limited from a processing stand point so any kind of long streaming even from YouTube will shut down after a few minutes.

Which model? Will need to get one for my non smart tv.

That's why I got mine.
Went with the Roku 2. It's $20 less than the 3.

Only difference I could find was no ethernet input for a wired connection (I plan on using wifi only) and the interface is a little slower.

Last edited:
That's why I got mine.
Went with the Roku 2. It's $20 less than the 3.

Only difference I could find was no coax input for a wired connection (I plan on using wifi only) and the interface is a little slower.
I'm pretty sure that would be Ethernet instead of coax. :)

Franz69,

Did you have to update Adobe on the browser the first time you accessed ESPN3 on the tv? The site needed the latest version of Adobe for unix but I kept getting the error msg: Unable to download. Will try again before the game. Hope it downloads then.

Perhaps I have a newer model, but no issues with Adobe, asking for update, not playing flash, etc. Knock wood.

I have a wonderful Panasonic 50" plasma display with no HDMI that I bought before HDMI became pervasive. I also have the original Apple TV which does not support HDMI. I haven't found any way to watch ESPN3 on my TV...does anyone have a solution? Go Orange!

If you have several apple products I'd get the Apple TV, which is the same as roku and chromcast.

I have a wonderful Panasonic 50" plasma display with no HDMI that I bought before HDMI became pervasive. I also have the original Apple TV which does not support HDMI. I haven't found any way to watch ESPN3 on my TV...does anyone have a solution? Go Orange!

If you have an Apple TV you should be able to access ESPN3 via the WatchESPN app, as long as your Internet provider allows you to access ESPN3 (most do).

Wikipedia...

The first generation Apple TV had component video and RCA connector audio ports

Your TV's should allow you to connect Apple TV with the above connector cables.