OT - SMART TVs and WatchESPN/ESPN3 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - SMART TVs and WatchESPN/ESPN3

If you have TW sports pass its 398 according to syracuse.com

If you have an Apple TV you should be able to access ESPN3 via the WatchESPN app, as long as your Internet provider allows you to access ESPN3 (most do).
The problem is that WatchESPN is not supported on my First generation Apple TV.

Wikipedia...

The first generation Apple TV had component video and RCA connector audio ports

Your TV's should allow you to connect Apple TV with the above connector cables.
I use those connections to hook up my First generation Apple TV to the Panasonic TV. WatchESPN says it requires Second generation or later. Oh well, I can at least watch the game on my IMac.

Issue: I live in Canada so my service providor is not listed. I also believe that ESPN will block me because of my IP address. I can get around that with a Virtual Private Network, but I still would need a sign in Code as the ESPN3 page shows the game as needing this. I am willing to pay money to get my fix. If anyone is willing to hook me up. Otherwise I hope it is on Firstrow sports or one of those pages. PM me if anyone is a good samaritan.

I have a wonderful Panasonic 50" plasma display with no HDMI that I bought before HDMI became pervasive. I also have the original Apple TV which does not support HDMI. I haven't found any way to watch ESPN3 on my TV...does anyone have a solution? Go Orange!

calibob - the Roku 2 you can connect to a non-hdmi tv and offers the same channels as the Roku 3 (including ESPN app). The link is for the directions for the Roku 2 so that you can see that you can connect with or without hdmi, scroll past the hdmi hookup page and you'll see directions that I'm guessing will work for your TV. $69 and you can buy them pretty much anywhere, including Walmart.

http://wwwimg.roku.com/static/guides/Roku_2-QuickStartGuide.pdf

I just bought the Playon software for the PC, they have a promotion now that if you buy the software you get a free Google Chromecast which is awesome.

Anyhow, I did that so I could stream ESPN3 from the PC to my PS3 in HD. Seems to work pretty well so far. You can stream pretty much anything from your PC to the PS3 using it.

I have a wonderful Panasonic 50" plasma display with no HDMI that I bought before HDMI became pervasive. I also have the original Apple TV which does not support HDMI. I haven't found any way to watch ESPN3 on my TV...does anyone have a solution? Go Orange!
If you have a laptop with VGA out (possibly is adapter) and your TV has VGA in then that's your best bet on the big screen. You may need to plug some speakers into your laptop's headphone jack for sound.

If you have a laptop with VGA out (possibly is adapter) and your TV has VGA in then that's your best bet on the big screen. You may need to plug some speakers into your laptop's headphone jack for sound.

Or a laptop with an hdmi output, you can connect direct to the tv with sound!

Or a laptop with an hdmi output, you can connect direct to the tv with sound!
His TV doesn't have an HDMI input!!

Just ordered Roku 3. I'll watch tonight by hooking up the laptop to the tv.

calibob - the Roku 2 you can connect to a non-hdmi tv and offers the same channels as the Roku 3 (including ESPN app). The link is for the directions for the Roku 2 so that you can see that you can connect with or without hdmi, scroll past the hdmi hookup page and you'll see directions that I'm guessing will work for your TV. $69 and you can buy them pretty much anywhere, including Walmart.

qdawgg--thanks for the lead. I have a somewhat complicated setup...Denon AVR. UVerse, AppleTV Release 1( to listen to my CD collection, view all my lll

qdawgg---thanks for the lead. I hope I can connect it to my DVD input on the AVR so I can leave the Apple TV as is. My freshman year was 1959...we were number 1! Hope to break into the top 10 before I go casters up...go Orange!