OT - Speed limits in CNY | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Speed limits in CNY

Thruway could be 70 on most parts. A lot of 90 in Pennsylvania is 70MPH.

50 on Erie blvd? Too many lights and congestion.
No it's not. It's 65 in PA as well. You don't hit 70 until Ohio. I just drove through there recently.

No it's not. It's 65 in PA as well. You don't hit 70 until Ohio. I just drove through there recently.

Yeah, think you're right. Was thinking around Ashtabula in NE Ohio. I drive for over 300 miles on 90 going from Akron to Syracuse multiple times each year so quite familiar with that ride. Parts of 90 in PA are actually 55. There's about a 15 mile stretch around Erie. Sort of random.

Yeah, think you're right. Was thinking around Ashtabula in NE Ohio. I drive for over 300 miles on 90 going from Akron to Syracuse multiple times each year so quite familiar with that ride. Parts of 90 in PA are actually 55. There's about a 15 mile stretch around Erie. Sort of random.

The 90 is 55 in Buffalo as well, in between the two toll booths.

Oh my god I forgot about the holy grail of bad speed limits.

IN NO UNIVERSE SHOULD THE PARKWAY BE 45 FOR HALF THE FREAKING YEAR

Even at 55, the parkway has had way too many really nasty accidents, not counting megabuses and trailers hitting the bridge.

Enjoy careening into Onondaga lake if you want 55 in the winter

No. The speed limit had zero to do with her death. If you were out at all last night you'd know the average travelling speed across the entire county was 15-20 mph. I was doing 12 mph on the thruway between Carrier and 81. The speed limit could have been 25 and she still would have died. I can't stand when people bring completely irrelevant arguments to the conversation.

There should be some barriers for those who can't handle 55.

No. The speed limit had zero to do with her death. If you were out at all last night you'd know the average travelling speed across the entire county was 15-20 mph. I was doing 12 mph on the thruway between Carrier and 81. The speed limit could have been 25 and she still would have died. I can't stand when people bring completely irrelevant arguments to the conversation.

It was treacherous (felt comfortable at 14, myself) but that person was either going fast or was incredibly disoriented and kept going for over a hundred meters after leaving the road.

Anyway, the speed limit's 30 all year where that happened, which highlights NYSDOT and the county's failure on synching road design and speed limits - if that stretch is too close to the village and the park intersections for 45 or 55, they should narrow the lanes and get rid of the shoulders. When it's built like a highway, people will drive like it's a highway.

Anyway, jersey barriers are going to be installed down the centerline either late next summer or the following spring, so maybe that'll protect drivers from the people whose cars are too big for them to handle safely.

To clarify, I'm not saying that the speed limit would have saved this woman's life, specifically. I'm just illustrating the point that because whiteout conditions happen so regularly on this road which lacks a median, guardrails, has a high volume of traffic at rush hour, and is just a few feet from open water, a speed limit of 55 in the winter is just completely reckless.

To clarify, I'm not saying that the speed limit would have saved this woman's life, specifically. I'm just illustrating the point that because whiteout conditions happen so regularly on this road which lacks a median, guardrails, has a high volume of traffic at rush hour, and is just a few feet from open water, a speed limit of 55 in the winter is just completely reckless.
My apologies as well, my lady brings up completely irrelevant stuff to try to prove her points all the time and it drives me completely insane. I think I just went all Butters Professor Chaos on you lol.

Why not use stairs then? If they are to be walked why are they moving and not just plain stairs

Some interesting studies:
Don’t Walk on Escalators. It’s Faster if Everyone Stands.

For A Faster Commute, Stand (Don't Walk) On The Escalator, Research Suggests
A lot like some drivers trying to weave through traffic during rush hour. Their actions only lead to slower overall traffic as others try to avoid accidents due to the aggressive moves... not to mention the actual accidents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom