OT: Superbowl Pool Update... | Syracusefan.com

OT: Superbowl Pool Update...

I intend to run the numbers tonight after the two teams are determined. It might take a bit to create the docs and web pages, so they won't be posted right away, but I will also send an email when they are complete. Pretty much all of the payments are in, but if you haven't sent your money, please do so ASAP.

Also, the third chance pool still has some squares if you are still looking for some.

Superbowl Pool

Thanks again,

NUZ

Please let John know if you have not received an email. I had not received one, let him know ... and he emailed me the grid for the pool. (I had cleverly mis-typed my email address when I submitted my pool entry form).

I have posted them here also. Hopefully it works.

Good Luck!

BTW, still a few left in the Third Chance if you know anybody looking for a pool (Superbowl Pool)

Attachments

• Grid.25.1.pdf
    20.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Grid.10.1.pdf
    21.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Grid.20.1.pdf
    21.9 KB · Views: 77
Wooooohoooooo! Thought I was dead in the water with 8-8. Never thought I'd root for a Brady comeback, but now I am $1500 richer.

Thanks Nuzzi.

Wooooohoooooo! Thought I was dead in the water with 8-8. Never thought I'd root for a Brady comeback, but now I am $1500 richer.

Thanks Nuzzi.

Sorry Brooky, it doesn't work like that. The final score is for the _final_. You did, however, win 200 in the first quarter of the Yard-Cuse pool.

NUZZI

Sorry Brooky, it doesn't work like that. The final score is for the _final_. You did, however, win 200 in the first quarter of the Yard-Cuse pool.

NUZZI

Wait, that doesn't make sense. It's generally understood that the final is the 4th quarter final. If not, then tie numbers would be worthless, Nuzzi. Don't tell me this is how you do it.

Wait, that doesn't make sense. It's generally understood that the final is the 4th quarter final. If not, then tie numbers would be worthless, Nuzzi. Don't tell me this is how you do it.

No, final means final. End of the game. Always has in my and any pools I have been involved with...Sorry. The winning square is Falcons 8, Patriots 4. And tie would not be worthless in cases of 28-18, or 16-6, etc.

No, final means final. End of the game. Always has in my and any pools I have been involved with...Sorry. The winning square is Falcons 8, Patriots 4. And tie would not be worthless in cases of 28-18, or 16-6, etc.
What a waste. Then you're statistically disadvantaging anybody with repeating numbers for a final since ties aren't possible. Its not the standard method.

But it's the internet so all I can do is piss and moan.

Just to reiterate, this is not the standard method for super bowl pools. I don't expect to get the money I won back at this point, but I want to make my stance clear at least. I appreciate Nuzzi's time and effort with this, but deviations from standard practice should be laid out more clearly in future pools.

Again, thank you for putting this together Nuzzi, congrats to the winners this year!

It's not the standard method? I have been doing pools for 20 years now. Here and with other leagues and places. I have never seen anybody pay out a fourth quarter tie, or a nine-inning tie. That is why it is labeled "final," and not "4th quarter." That is most definitely not the standard. Also, I have seen many games with similar ending numbers, 0-0, 4-4, etc. I am sorry you feel shorted, but it simply is not the winning combination.

NUZ

BTW, I am in about 5 other pools this year, Not one of them is paying 8-8, they are all paying 8-4. I am not sure where your "standard method" is derived from.

It's not the standard method? I have been doing pools for 20 years now. Here and with other leagues and places. I have never seen anybody pay out a fourth quarter tie, or a nine-inning tie. That is why it is labeled "final," and not "4th quarter." That is most definitely not the standard. Also, I have seen many games with similar ending numbers, 0-0, 4-4, etc. I am sorry you feel shorted, but it simply is not the winning combination.

NUZ

I've been involved with betting just as long and come from a family with betting backgrounds. For reference, their pools are paying the tie because that's the only statistically fair way to handle it. So yours may be the deviation from standard or theirs is. Regardless, I'm just pissing in the wind at this point. Please just clarify the point in future pools.

I've been involved with betting just as long and come from a family with betting backgrounds. For reference, their pools are paying the tie because that's the only statistically fair way to handle it. So yours may be the deviation from standard or theirs is. Regardless, I'm just pissing in the wind at this point. Please just clarify the point in future pools.

I will add another line in the "How to Determine Winners" section. However, I figured the word "Final" would be clarification enough.

I am curious, if they are paying the tie, what do they do for the final? Do you think the guy in 8-4 would feel ripped off?

Anyway, please email me separately about where I can send your 200.

I will add another line in the "How to Determine Winners" section. However, I figured the word "Final" would be clarification enough.

I am curious, if they are paying the tie, what do they do for the final? Do you think the guy in 8-4 would feel ripped off?

Anyway, please email me separately about where I can send your 200.

They clarified it from the jump. Since it's inherently unfair to exclude squares before the game even starts (any 'tie' squares for the final), a person with the OT final doesn't have a pot to piss in. I'll PayPal the details to you.

Like I said earlier, thank you for setting this up and running the website.

Just to reiterate, this is not the standard method for super bowl pools. I don't expect to get the money I won back at this point, but I want to make my stance clear at least. I appreciate Nuzzi's time and effort with this, but deviations from standard practice should be laid out more clearly in future pools.

Again, thank you for putting this together Nuzzi, congrats to the winners this year!
It is the standard method for any pool I have been in. Ever.

Damn Gostkowski cost me $300 with that missed extra point. Oh well, it was a great game even though I did not like the outcome. As for Brooky, this is the only way I have ever seen pools as well. That is final it says final score and not fourth quarter score. Great job Nuzzi!!

Damn Gostkowski cost me $300 with that missed extra point. Oh well, it was a great game even though I did not like the outcome. As for Brooky, this is the only way I have ever seen pools as well. That is final it says final score and not fourth quarter score. Great job Nuzzi!!

So be it. The argument is academic at this point. Anybody with tie numbers for the 'final' paid the same money as everybody else but for less chances to win. If the consensus is that's fair, then I'm the crazy one.

I'll see if I can get a job as a blackjack dealer, wait until people bet, then not give them any cards and take the bet. In terms of the final scores, this is essentially what happened. I didn't get bad cards, I got no cards.

So be it. The argument is academic at this point. Anybody with tie numbers for the 'final' paid the same money as everybody else but for less chances to win. If the consensus is that's fair, then I'm the crazy one.

I'll see if I can get a job as a blackjack dealer, wait until people bet, then not give them any cards and take the bet. In terms of the final scores, this is essentially what happened. I didn't get bad cards, I got no cards.

Brooky, I really hate to keep rehashing this, but, no, that's not right. If the score was 28-18, you win. If it was 18-8, you win. I have seen plenty of similar numbers win the final. You had cards.

I guess I don't understand what you consider 'not fair'.

The pool clearly says it pays for Final, not 4th quarter.

upload_2017-2-6_7-11-55.png

Brooky, I really hate to keep rehashing this, but, no, that's not right. If the score was 28-18, you win. If it was 18-8, you win. I have seen plenty of similar numbers win the final. You had cards.

I get that, but there's an inherent disadvantage with tie numbers when a tie score can't be the final score. The blackjack example was poor.

We're not going to see eye to eye on this and you appear to have popular opinion on your side. You're paying out according to how you set the pool up and the wording used. Its my fault for making assumptions and not paying close enough attention.

Thanks for your time and effort with this. I still won some money with the first quarter numbers so it's not all bad.

I guess I don't understand what you consider 'not fair'.

The pool clearly says it pays for Final, not 4th quarter.

View attachment 88686

I'm not going to rehash the whole argument. Tie numbers have less possible combinations than others because a final score can't be a tie. That's it in a nutshell. That's the statistically unfair point.

To be clear, Nuzzi is not being unfair with the payouts. He's paying out according to how he set up the pool. I made assumptions and didn't pay close enough attention to the setup when I put my money down. That's on me.

every board I have been involved with is final and not 4th quarter. If you get the 4th quarter with the same numbers oh well.

every board I have been involved with is final and not 4th quarter. If you get the 4th quarter with the same numbers oh well.

There's pretty close to a 50/50 split with how my co-workers have seen them. Some of them said they make it a point to bring this up ahead of time to avoid confusion, which is what I should have done (hindsight being 20/20 and whatnot). ftr, our office pool has always used the 4th quarter score because somebody brought up this scenario years ago and it was determined to be the fairest way to handle it.

The 'oh well' mindset probably sums this up best. It's like playing a pickup basketball game by 1s and 2s instead of 2s and 3s. It creates imbalances but people just generally don't care so they keep doing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom