OT: Syracuse Chiefs (Step Up Fans) | Syracusefan.com

OT: Syracuse Chiefs (Step Up Fans)

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
They are in First place and the currently the best team in AAA. Yet the Chiefs are in last place for attendance in AAA. Locals please go out and support the team.

International League: Attendance (click column headers to sort)
Team Yesterday Total Openings Average
Charlotte Knights 9,416 441,864 46 9,606
Indianapolis Indians 8,785 388,746 44 8,835
Lehigh Valley IronPigs 0 389,685 45 8,660
Columbus Clippers 0 403,249 47 8,580
Louisville Bats 8,944 369,306 48 7,694
Durham Bulls 0 348,213 47 7,409
Buffalo Bisons 8,378 297,741 42 7,089
Toledo Mud Hens 7,505 305,176 44 6,936
Pawtucket Red Sox 0 303,619 47 6,460
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders 5,065 234,645 43 5,457
Rochester Red Wings 0 254,595 47 5,417
Norfolk Tides 0 211,918 45 4,709
Gwinnett Braves 0 208,235 47 4,431
Syracuse Chiefs 0 148,988 43 3,465

http://www.milb.com/standings/index.jsp?lid=117

I've been to 6-7 and they really are a fun team to watch and the stadium is really nice and everything convenient. You might even catch Lil Bees there. He's been interning/working with the Chiefs since May and is there about half the games and can be found usually dressed as a Pink Kow (that's Cow with a K as he signs the autographs for little kids).

Seriously though, Jason Smorol has made it a fun place to be especially if you have kids. Plus, they are winning.

Last edited:
They are in First place and the currently the best team in AAA. Yet the Chiefs are in last place for attendance in AAA. Locals please go out and support the team.

this town holds a grudge (which we all know from the days of get a life buzz). When they royally F ed up by not putting the stadium downtown to attract the casual fan with downtown amenities (the few hardcores would go anywhere) they really blew it long term as many of us predicted.

For all the good this new guy has done he blew it too by not tangentially mentioning that situation more effectively where he could've expressed sentiments to the effect that hey they blew it we know that, but come and support us anyway. Forgot exactly how he mentioned it but however it was done it was not effective to assuage the fickle denizens who still talk of this big mistake. Between this and the long historic losing very few go and its now it has become so ingrained it's almost like watching a death spiral and they need to break the pattern which as we're seeing is difficult.

He can still do something about it as it's not too late.

Last edited:
this town holds a grudge (which we all know from the days of get a life buzz). When they royally F ed up by not putting the stadium downtown to attract the casual fan with downtown amenities (the few hardcores would go anywhere) they really blew it long term as many of us predicted.

For all the good this new guy has done he blew it too by not tangentially mentioning that situation more effectively where he could've expressed sentiments to the effect that hey they blew it we know that, but come and support us anyway. Forgot exactly how he mentioned it but however it was done it was not effective to assuage the fickle denizens who still talk of this big mistake. Between this and the long historic losing very few go and its now it has become so ingrained it's almost like watching a death spiral and they need to break the pattern which as we're seeing is difficult.

I did not even know they were winning, much less in first place, maybe the local news outlets could do a better job of letting the public know about the Chiefs. I must admit I am not a baseball fan.

I disagree. If you want to attract the casual fan, you have to make the experience as customer and family friendly as possible.

That means easy access to the stadium, and plenty of convenient parking. Two things that downtown doesn't have.

What happens in five years when I-81 gets cratered, and you can't even get to downtown for several years?

Hey, it's not like there are 22 AA teams outdrawing them.

Oh, there are?

Oh.

Scooch weeps.

Great post Mike, unfortunately I do think its to late, for as much as we complain about the lack of buzz for Syracuse football we look like Alabama compared to the Chiefs as they have less then zero. I dont know if Syracuse is long for a Triple A team at this point.

there are only so many games people can go to in a year.

syracuse basketball swallows up all the sport attendance even though it's in the winter

All it takes is a change of attitude. No one is asking CNY'ers to buy season tickets...but nothing wrong grabbing your wife/kid(s) and taking them to the game. I still remember going to games at old MacArthur Stadium with my Dad. The best thing about the stadium is it is a totally safe and fun environment for them.

Buy the cheap seats and have some fun.

TexanMark said:
All it takes is a change of attitude. No one is asking CNY'ers to buy season tickets...but nothing wrong grabbing your wife/kid(s) and taking them to the game. I still remember going to games at old MacArthur Stadium with my Dad. The best thing about the stadium is it is a totally safe and fun environment for them.

Agreed Mark. I usually take in 1-3 Chiefs games each summer, but haven't yet made the time. Will do so soon.

I disagree. If you want to attract the casual fan, you have to make the experience as customer and family friendly as possible.

That means easy access to the stadium, and plenty of convenient parking. Two things that downtown doesn't have.

What happens in five years when I-81 gets cratered, and you can't even get to downtown for several years?
they've done all that what you wrote and it's STILL not working. There at least trying I guess.

they've done all that what you wrote and it's STILL not working. There at least trying I guess.
I don't know if STILL not working is a fair assessment. The new regime has had half a season to scrape away years of piss-poor effort by the Simone family.

I worked scoreboard for a couple of seasons at the ballpark. Nothing. Ever. Changed. The same contests, the same promotions, the same ideas. Year after year after year. Coupled with decades of crappy play, there was really nothing to be interested in.

This season is all about rebuilding a connection with the community. Next season, they have to come out guns a-blazin'.

1st step would be to stop charging for parking. $5 isn't a big deal in the grand scheme, but when you pay more to park than for your ticket (Hi SU Lacrosse), it sends the wrong message. Taking young kids to the game is still a tough task-they need more kid activities.

That being said, Smorol is doing some good things to try and change the atmosphere. I enjoyed going to the game, but it's hard to build a buzz when there aren't a ton of Nationals fans in the area. I hope he continues to do some crazy promotions to help generate attention.

I think the media coverage hurts as well- games on The Score means ESPN CNY isn't giving them any attention. Axe isn't saying much, so it leaves Poliquin to be their spokesperson and we know how limited his reach is with a younger fanbase.

Now that they are winning and schools are out, I'm curious to see if they can make a strong close to the season or not.

This really has zero to do with downtown and more to do with people not wanting to go to baseball games anymore. The town simply doesn't support baseball like it used to. The team will get sold.

Full_Rebar said:
1st step would be to stop charging for parking. $5 isn't a big deal in the grand scheme, but when you pay more to park than for your ticket (Hi SU Lacrosse), it sends the wrong message. Taking young kids to the game is still a tough task-they need more kid activities. That being said, Smorol is doing some good things to try and change the atmosphere. I enjoyed going to the game, but it's hard to build a buzz when there aren't a ton of Nationals fans in the area. I hope he continues to do some crazy promotions to help generate attention. I think the media coverage hurts as well- games on The Score means ESPN CNY isn't giving them any attention. Axe isn't saying much, so it leaves Poliquin to be their spokesperson and we know how limited his reach is with a younger fanbase. Now that they are winning and schools are out, I'm curious to see if they can make a strong close to the season or not.

Good thoughts. Others may not know but ticket prices are $12, $10 and $5. Military, active and retired with an ID get free general admission $5 seats. I don't mine the $5 parking. It's such a convenient and cheap part.

As to kids activities, which you may or may not know, besides the on field contests you get picked for, they also have that kids park behind right field with bouncy houses etc. They have inside some kids activities in a room down the 1st base line. You can also do birthday parties on the patio area upstairs. I don't have little kids anymore but it seems there is a lot. Friday night home games are fun because there are always fire works after the game.

Check their website too for promotions. Lots going on each game. Some weekend games kids and parents can go on the field post game to play catch.

Thanks Bees. We went in May so the bounce house wasn't up and other activities were closed that day, but we did stay for the post-game run of the bases. Will have to check out the other stuff on the next visit.

It's been touched on by others, but the key here is not getting people to come to a baseball game. It's selling an experience around baseball. At means interesting alcohol choices, unique food, crazy contests and promotions, etc. The baseball is taken for granted. You have to generate talking points elsewhere.

LeMoyneCuse said:
It's been touched on by others, but the key here is not getting people to come to a baseball game. It's selling an experience around baseball. At means interesting alcohol choices, unique food, crazy contests and promotions, etc. The baseball is taken for granted. You have to generate talking points elsewhere.

Got to fine a way to tie back up with the Yankees. SWB doesn't draw that great either. I know it's a pipe dream but I can still dream.

ML Baseball is about as exciting as watching the grass grow. AAA is a tad below that. That's the problem. This "grudge" against Buzz or the Chiefs is non existent to millennial's or gen. y or x. Bottom line, I have lots of choices to do with my time and money. Maybe more than in the "Syracuse" of past generations. Just like the University there has to be more of a compelling argument that it is in the town for people to go.

That being said shame on me as a sports fan in Syracuse for not supporting them. I haven't been to a Chiefs or Crunch game in the last two seasons. Ill get the fam to a couple of games this season.

Couple of Ideas:
Put some bars in the stadium, Tie a monorail to the mall. But mostly I'd say keep winning.

ML Baseball is about as exciting as watching the grass grow. AAA is a tad below that. That's the problem. This "grudge" against Buzz or the Chiefs is non existent to millennial's or gen. y or x. Bottom line, I have lots of choices to do with my time and money. Maybe more than in the "Syracuse" of past generations. Just like the University there has to be more of a compelling argument that it is in the town for people to go.

That being said shame on me as a sports fan in Syracuse for not supporting them. I haven't been to a Chiefs or Crunch game in the last two seasons. Ill get the fam to a couple of games this season.

Couple of Ideas:
Put some bars in the stadium, Tie a monorail to the mall. But mostly I'd say keep winning.

It's not "the problem" when you have the worst attendance in the league.

That means "the problem" is market specific.

HeaterCuse22 said:
Put some bars in the stadium.

They don't have a "bar" per se, but they have at least one "stand" where you can buy alcoholic drinks and not just beer. The one I know of is on the concourse between sections 202 and 204. There's also the Hank Bauer Room which is the restaurant. They have a bar too.

I'm cautiously optimistic that things are improving for the Chiefs. Jason is terrific. The attendance numbers stink, but they're accurate; I'm told that the turnstile count is close to double what it was last season, despite the announced attendance not being too far off.

The club's short-term future here is secure; continued winning through this fall and a strong follow-up season next year would be huge. These things take time.

Also, this is always worth repeating: building a ballpark in that location was one of the dumbest goddam decisions you'll ever see. (But I'm still optimistic.)

If Syracuse can get Light Rail or Streetcars and it stops at the Regional Market/Stadium/Bus Station that will help. Fixing I-81 is more important right now. I like the Tunnel/Blvd Hybrid proposal.

I also remember going to MacArthur with my family when Iwas growing up. A lot of fun memories especially as I was just trying to understand baseballl. One time, Iasked my dad if the manager was arguing just to be funny. Then another time, the guy sitting near us had quite a personal hygiene issue and I kept asking "What stinks?" as my mom tried to get me to shut up with a horrified look on her face. I moved to Atlanta and now live in Kansas City and almost enjoy going to minor league games as much as major league games. That would really be too bad if Syracuse lose the Chiefs.

According to some posters in the soccer thread, AA baseball attendance is supposed to trump MLS attendance. AAA getting under 4k/night is laughable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom