OT: Syracuse summer lacrosse camps | Syracusefan.com

OT: Syracuse summer lacrosse camps

MadNY3

All American
Sorry to barge in but apparently I have a 10-year old who might be good at lacrosse (made highest travel team in our area of CT) and he he has barely played.

Would love him to do a couple day camp in Syracuse for lax. Is SU's the proverbial best (three-day camp of three hours a day?) or does a local high school have a great educational/fun experience?

Thank you for any feedback.

Sorry to barge in but apparently I have a 10-year old who might be good at lacrosse (made highest travel team in our area of CT) and he he has barely played.

Would love him to do a couple day camp in Syracuse for lax. Is SU's the proverbial best (three-day camp of three hours a day?) or does a local high school have a great educational/fun experience?

Thank you for any feedback.

After a couple years at Hobart I camped at Lemoyne the summer after my junior year. Overnight but I think day camp was an available option. I loved it, and definitely worth looking into.

Unrelated: Ryan Powell was our team's coach. Dude was hilarious.

I thought Hobart had the best skills camp in Central/Western NY. I went there every summer from 8th to 11th grade. John Zulberti's wall ball speech was the best. Of course, it's been a long time. Has Hobart declined? Other camps stepped up?

After a couple years at Hobart I camped at Lemoyne the summer after my junior year. Overnight but I think day camp was an available option. I loved it, and definitely worth looking into.

Unrelated: Ryan Powell was our team's coach. Dude was hilarious.

THANKS! Will look into. Very much appreciated.

I thought Hobart had the best skills camp in Central/Western NY. I went there every summer from 8th to 11th grade. John Zulberti's wall ball speech was the best. Of course, it's been a long time. Has Hobart declined? Other camps stepped up?

I don't know what the present state is. But back in the late 90's it was incredible. The week I spent there after my freshman year, in my opinion, laid the foundation and is directly responsible for going from playing about a total of 5 minutes all year to running 1st middie line as a sophomore. Learned so much to work into my game, and with the level of competition a player had no choice but to get better. Still have my reversible camp jerseys and Hobart shafts, not to mention great memories.

I don't know what the present state is. But back in the late 90's it was incredible. The week I spent there after my freshman year, in my opinion, laid the foundation and is directly responsible for going from playing about a total of 5 minutes all year to running 1st middie line as a sophomore. Learned so much to work into my game, and with the level of competition a player had no choice but to get better. Still have my reversible camp jerseys and Hobart shafts, not to mention great memories.

After every Hobart camp I got exponentially better. It was so much fun, staying on the Hobart campus is a great experience, and the coaches were amazing. I have a close friend who is a D-I coach in Mass, and although he runs his own camps, he admitted to me recently that he thinks Hobart is the best "bang for your buck" camp in the northeast.

As a kid I always thought the best camp was West Point. I sent my 12 year old to Cornell last year. He loved it but I have no idea how the camp was from an instructional standpoint. There was maybe 150 campers. I've heard the Syracuse camp is ginormous. To me the bigger the camps the least amount of quality instruction. I'd want to know who are the coaches/counselors and camper to coaches ratio.

Back in the day big coaches helped out at other camps. Like Mike Pressler coaching at the West Point etc. Today I think it's heavily the student athlete players doing the coaching.

Being that your in CT you might look up Yale. That's my buddy Andy Shay who went to LeMoyne

Also, I think bang for the buck, might be Hamilton College's summer camp near Utica. It's run by Mike Barnard Hamilton HC, Cortland, Herk CC, Delaware. All American. Co-Run by Mike Vorgang - Niskaunya HC and 2015 NYS Class A State Championship. The counselor coaches are Mike Longa Cazenovia HC (2 time NYS champs), another friend of mind Scott Petrie was a national champ and All America at Herk CC and Salisbury. Plus other coaches are Albany Power coaches and high school coaches. It really organized camp and heavy on the skill training and instruction which i think its hard to find good skill camps these days. I attended last year as an observer and came away impressed. (i'd send my own kid there.)

I also find the best players just dont do camps anymore because there is so much club ball; but imho, if you want to go to say Cornell to play ball, obviously getting in front of them at their camp is a good idea.

There are a few camps advertised on http://www.justlacrosse.com/ and http://www.lax3point0.com/

I sent my 8 year old to the OCC camp last summer. It was very inexpensive compared to these other camps. The younger kids were taught by the actual players. They kept it fun, and my kid had a good time. There was a lot of scrimmaging, contests, and the like. It advanced his 'passion' for the game. I personally would have wanted him to get more one-on-one skills training and instruction, and would pay for it. That will set your kid apart from others, as he advances through the club ranks.

The Thompson Brothers will likely camp again in the fall on the 'nation'. I'd love to send my kid to it. http://tblcamps.com/

The camps in CNY are bargains compared to what is available here in Central FL. They charge upwards of $500 / week for coaches with resumes that make me yawn.