Ot: the love/wiggins deal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ot: the love/wiggins deal

Love hasnt won anything, so most of the stuff about him is conjecture too. We shall see who plays at a dominant level on a good team first...my feeling is the cavs will grab Love, if so he gets a perfect opp to prove himself next yr...i personally would kill to see Wiggins and Lebron play together in two yrs but todays world is all about instant gratification, as evidenced by Lebron joining up w dwade and bosh in miami as opposed to staying in cleveland 4 yrs ago (if its the "right" thing now why wasnt it the right thing then?). Its the old yankees model that worked so well, dont build a team over time, just go to the team that will sign as many "superstars" as possible. And yes AW might take time. Lebron aint interested. Fair enough. Doesnt change the fact, if you look at his record in the finals it will never be what MJ, Kobes or Russel' s were.

Were you trying to see how many H0T Takes you could cram into one post?

I like the trade, but put everything else to the side and assume that both are equally good at their respective positions. The Cav's have a much bigger void at 4 than they do at 2.
Quite often bron guarded Boris Diaw in the finals. Wasnt diaw a power forward?

My god what is Wiggins basement and floor for the people who think he is a better option than Love?
Wiggins defense is being overrated as we have no clue how he will defend in the NBA. Victor Oladipo was a great defender in college he wasn't a shutdown defender as a rookie. Wiggins played with incredible talent last year and wasn't this shutdown defender in college.
Wiggins is a good prospect but he wasn't the clear best prospect in this draft. If Embiid didn't break his foot Cleveland takes him and he is perfect for Lebron's Cavs. If Love was 29 I could see not making the trade but he is 25 and in his prime. I mean Love and Lebron would have nights where they would be bored and see how many times Love could give him outlets for layups. Wiggins needs to be an elite defender as a rookie to justify keeping him over Love. I don't see Wiggins as a Pippen defender as a rookie or better than Paul George and Chris Paul first team or Patrick Beverly or Jimmy Butler 2nd team all-NBA defense.

My god what is Wiggins basement and floor for the people who think he is a better option than Love?
Wiggins defense is being overrated as we have no clue how he will defend in the NBA. Victor Oladipo was a great defender in college he wasn't a shutdown defender as a rookie. Wiggins played with incredible talent last year and wasn't this shutdown defender in college.
Wiggins is a good prospect but he wasn't the clear best prospect in this draft. If Embiid didn't break his foot Cleveland takes him and he is perfect for Lebron's Cavs. If Love was 29 I could see not making the trade but he is 25 and in his prime. I mean Love and Lebron would have nights where they would be bored and see how many times Love could give him outlets for layups. Wiggins needs to be an elite defender as a rookie to justify keeping him over Love. I don't see Wiggins as a Pippen defender as a rookie or better than Paul George and Chris Paul first team or Patrick Beverly or Jimmy Butler 2nd team all-NBA defense.
Yep its all conjecture. We shall see. It will be very interesting. I just wish Lebron had stayed in cleveland all along the way bird, russel (kind of), magic, kobe and mj in their prime did, but thats just me....

This is not wiggins vs love. This is wiggins + Bennett + draft picks + free agent/cap/trade flexibility. If wiggins work out, they're set for the Lebron years AND beyond.

Timonen said:
This is not wiggins vs love. This is wiggins + Bennett + draft picks + free agent/cap/trade flexibility. If wiggins work out, they're set for the Lebron years AND beyond.

Yea, people aren't getting this. They think it's a straight up trade vs a trade with additional players and picks plus the cap hit which could hamstring them now and in the future.

Last edited:
If we are talking about miamis pick plus the most questionable number one pick in NBA history I still think that's an easy trade.

Yep its all conjecture. We shall see. It will be very interesting. I just wish Lebron had stayed in cleveland all along the way bird, russel (kind of), magic, kobe and mj in their prime did, but thats just me...
And so did Dolph Schayes and Bobby Wanzer ... have you ever changed jobs/cities that you thought would be best for you and your family?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10714672/nba-2013-14-rookie-class-worst-ever

Do people realize Bennett had a NEGATIVE WARP rookies don't have negative WAR[ when they go #1 overall and aren't injured. Bennett's PER was 6.95 and WARP was -1.5 and was barely one of the top 30 rookies last year and he was the #1 overall pick. Last year's rookie class WAS HORRIBLE.

Bennett is a total project and worth giving up to get Love, Wiggins is a project. The Miami pick is top 10 lottery pick protected and isn't anything special. I mean I just don't understand people. Bennett, Wiggins, Miami pick for 5 years of Love in his prime is a GREAT trade.
I would always trade a dollar bill(Love) for a 50 cent piece(Wiggins), quarter(Bennett), dime(mid-late first round pick)

I think I'm the only person on the planet who thinks this would be dumb for Cleveland. You're giving up the #1 player in the best draft since Lebron! Your team will already be a destination for every free agent next year WITH Wiggins. Why lose him (and Bennett, and a pick)?
You never know - Sam Bowie!
Love is a proven commodity.

Alsacs said:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10714672/nba-2013-14-rookie-class-worst-ever Do people realize Bennett had a NEGATIVE WARP rookies don't have negative WAR[ when they go #1 overall and aren't injured. Bennett's PER was 6.95 and WARP was -1.5 and was barely one of the top 30 rookies last year and he was the #1 overall pick. Last year's rookie class WAS HORRIBLE. Bennett is a total project and worth giving up to get Love, Wiggins is a project. The Miami pick is top 10 lottery pick protected and isn't anything special. I mean I just don't understand people. Bennett, Wiggins, Miami pick for 5 years of Love in his prime is a GREAT trade. I would always trade a dollar bill(Love) for a 50 cent piece(Wiggins), quarter(Bennett), dime(mid-late first round pick)

Far from a star but wasn't Bennett the player that there was an article about having been one of the five players to have shown the most improvement in summer league? I only remember it saying he was finally in shape, had lost weight and one game had 14 rebounds. Not #1 material but a big improvement.

Yep its all conjecture. We shall see. It will be very interesting. I just wish Lebron had stayed in cleveland all along the way bird, russel (kind of), magic, kobe and mj in their prime did, but thats just me...
He had to leave with the junk they were giving him to work with. Gilbert gets it now in a way he never would have if Lebron stayed. He took Boobie Gibson to the finals!

You never know - Sam Bowie!
Love is a proven commodity.
Here's how this works in business. When you have lots if good assets, you take smart chances. Lebron and Irving and cap space are GREAT assets. You take the "chance" on Wiggins.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10714672/nba-2013-14-rookie-class-worst-ever

Do people realize Bennett had a NEGATIVE WARP rookies don't have negative WAR[ when they go #1 overall and aren't injured. Bennett's PER was 6.95 and WARP was -1.5 and was barely one of the top 30 rookies last year and he was the #1 overall pick. Last year's rookie class WAS HORRIBLE.

Bennett is a total project and worth giving up to get Love, Wiggins is a project. The Miami pick is top 10 lottery pick protected and isn't anything special. I mean I just don't understand people. Bennett, Wiggins, Miami pick for 5 years of Love in his prime is a GREAT trade.
I would always trade a dollar bill(Love) for a 50 cent piece(Wiggins), quarter(Bennett), dime(mid-late first round pick)

Not sold on a 3 man team with little depth and little financial flexibility to improve...especially when 2 of the 3 have been injury prone, poor defenders, and have never been in the playoffs. A new team that hasn't gelled with unproven "stars"...it might take them a few years before they are ready too.

As it stands, Cleveland has more depth and flexibility to add more.

Bennett had an awful rookie year but he was hurt in the summer and came in out of shape. This year might be a different story.

wiggins is already an elite defender and , lets not forget, this is basketball, not baseball, he can come out day one and be a dominant force.

This statement is absolutely ridiculous. He hasn't played a single second of pro ball and we are calling him an elite defender already? That's just insane.

He's a great college defender. Let's keep it to what is actually true.

I took Lebron's move to Cleveland as a sign that he understood in today's NBA that you need a team around you, not two other stars.

If they get Love they're recreating Miami with different faces that are younger but defend worse. I would not be impressed.

Here's how this works in business. When you have lots if good assets, you take smart chances. Lebron and Irving and cap space are GREAT assets. You take the "chance" on Wiggins.

That's what makes markets.

I took Lebron's move to Cleveland as a sign that he understood in today's NBA that you need a team around you, not two other stars.

He's one year removed from winning back to back championships with two other stars.

Yeah if your building for the future...but you already have the greatest player in world...the time is now.

He's one year removed from winning back to back championships with two other stars.
I think he's glad he has that second one, but maybe wonders if it can happen that way again.

I mean do people look at the damn cap. This is Cleveland's last chance to add another big salary guy. Kyrie agreed to a 5 year 80 million dollar extension that won't kick in until next year's cap right now he is only taking up 7 million. Lebron is making 21 million, Varajeo makes 9.7 million. If the Cavs want to resign him with his Bird rights that will kill their remaining cap space. The Cavs would to renounce his Bird rights to be able to add anything in FA without him taking a pay cut. With Lebron and Kyrie taking up 37 of the 62 million next year this is their last chance to add another big guy. What will the Cavs get in FA if they don't trade for Love this offseason that will be better?
The time for Cleveland is now or never. Bennett is a project and Wiggins hasn't proven anything. Love is a top 15 player in his prime I would do this trade all day long especially considering the cap and taken advantage of before the Kyrie extension kicks in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom