OT: The NBA Draft Lottery is a Joke | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: The NBA Draft Lottery is a Joke

PG is a huge need and drafting a big, athletic guard like Mudiay or Russell could work out very well. I'd prefer them over Winslow

If the Knicks are truly going to run Phil's offense, what's the point of taking a point guard with the fourth pick? Phil has never used point guards as someone more than to get the ball past half-court (ok, a little bit of an exaggeration). But he's run his offense through the 2/3 his entire career -- I'm not sure he's ever had a team where a PG led in assists or points. You gotta think he'll push Fisher to do the same thing when they get a reasonable team together.

I just saw the Knicks owe their first round pick next year to Denver. Jeez, I can't see them as anything more than a .500 team next year if they add Monroe and Mudiay.
Phil Jackson has to be in this for the long haul.
My prediction is Dolan will fire or force Jackson out by meddling and making him crazy before the end of next season. The NYK waited a whole year to get one of the two top big guys in the draft and they lose out. Mudiay will need time to learn and develop he isn't ready (thanks to skipping college for his vacation in China where he played like 10 games). Wouldn't be surprised if Phil trades the pick but only gets a couple of mediocre retreads. Dolan has no patience to build a team through the draft (and of course they have no #1 next year anyway). Dolan will force Jackson to try for a quick fix via trades and free agents. Trouble is free agents want to go to good teams that will compete for a title, not to bad teams.

I really hate the NBA draft lottery its such BS. Draft position should be based on inverse record not luck of the draw. The NFL and MLB don't see a need for it to stop tanking.

So the Timberwolves will have the last three #1 overall picks on their roster?
The T-Woves are one of the stupidest worse run franchises. Hey maybe they'll take CMac.

Blame Langston Galloway for beating the Hawks in the 2nd to last game of the season. That win put the Knics 2nd in ping pong balls.
Also, this was the first lottery since 2004 the worst team got the first pick and no real changes except the Lakers went from 4th to 2nd and Knicks went from 2nd to 4th.
Actually blame coach Derek Fisher who should have known he needed to make a few "moves" during the course of those 2 meaningless wins to make sure the NYK lost and didn't lose ping pong balls. If I was Dolan I would have fired him.

If the Knicks are truly going to run Phil's offense, what's the point of taking a point guard with the fourth pick? Phil has never used point guards as someone more than to get the ball past half-court (ok, a little bit of an exaggeration). But he's run his offense through the 2/3 his entire career -- I'm not sure he's ever had a team where a PG led in assists or points. You gotta think he'll push Fisher to do the same thing when they get a reasonable team together.

It can also be said that he ran his offense through his 2 because he had Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant as his 2's.

The T-Woves are one of the stupidest worse run franchises. Hey maybe they'll take CMac.

They were. Kahn may have been the worst GM in NBA history. But recently, they got Wiggins for Love who they were going to lose anyway, and Lavine was a great pick.

I like dangelo russel the most out of the draft, but im no scout.

edit: I should qualify the post by saying that I hate young big men. there is a huge hit or miss rate with them none of them help you win right away. you only get them for 3 years, (I know they can offer more money) but there is no guarantee you have the guy once he becomes any good, which is not likely until he is like 28.

That's a good point. I'm not completely sold on the triangle in the 2015 NBA so hopefully they have a good plan

It can also be said that he ran his offense through his 2 because he had Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant as his 2's.

Not just that though, but he has also focused heavily on good passing SFs. That's why he was so infatuated with Odom, who was a very good passer in his system and why Pippen is one of the highest assisting SFs in the history of the NBA.

Not just that though, but he has also focused heavily on good passing SFs. That's why he was so infatuated with Odom, who was a very good passer in his system and why Pippen is one of the highest assisting SFs in the history of the NBA.

While true, all of those players were already in place when he got those jobs.

He doesn't have anyone like that now. I think they need to just draft the best talent, period. All they have is Melo, they can use anyone that's good at any position.

If Muiday is as good as they say and he's there, I don't think you pass him up based on position. It's not like they have a great 2 guard or a point forward already in place making a top PG less useful.

I don't want Winslow or Russell. As a Knick fan.

I would be intrigued by Mudiay.

Minnesota has solid pieces on their team. Give them a few years.

Those pieces won't be there in a few years. Those guys want to get the h out of Minnesota asap.

I think the "city" thing is overblown. Players have wanted to get out of Minnesota because they've sucked for about a decade.

When Minnesota was good in Garnett's prime, they were able to bring in veteran stars like Sprewell and Cassell. Players want to play for good teams.

I think the "city" thing is overblown. Players have wanted to get out of Minnesota because they've sucked for about a decade.

When Minnesota was good in Garnett's prime, they were able to bring in veteran stars like Sprewell and Cassell. Players want to play for good teams.

Nobody wants to play in Minnesota. Honestly I would contract half of the NBA.

Focus/Care on New York, Brooklyn, Los Angelos, Miami, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas. You know I'm a big market guy.

Keep markets like Oklahoma City and San Antonio, maybe Portland and Orlando.

Get rid of the Minnesota, Milwaukee, Utah, and Sacremento. You know.

Nobody wants to play in Minnesota. Honestly I would contract half of the NBA.

Focus/Care on New York, Brooklyn, Los Angelos, Miami, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas. You know I'm a big market guy.

Keep markets like Oklahoma City and San Antonio, maybe Portland and Orlando.

Get rid of the Minnesota, Milwaukee, Utah, and Sacremento. You know.

Contract Cleveland and Oakland, no good players would ever go/stay there.....wait...

I just gave you examples of players choosing to go to Minnesota when they were good. Players want to play for good teams above all else. Garnett didn't leave at the first chance. He left(and didn't really want to) when he was getting older and it was clear that winning wasn't going to happen in Minnesota anymore.

These players can live wherever they want for 4-6 months per year anyway, and are on the road all the time. Nobody was signing up to go to LA last summer. The top FA's have passed up NY many times. Good teams/organizations are more important than the city in most cases.

Contract Cleveland and Oakland, no good players would ever go/stay there...wait...

I just gave you examples of players choosing to go to Minnesota when they were good. Players want to play for good teams above all else. Garnett didn't leave at the first chance. He left(and didn't really want to) when he was getting older and it was clear that winning wasn't going to happen in Minnesota anymore.

Ooh that would be a great watched final Golden State and Cleveland. God forbid Atlanta vs Golden State.

Where would i rather play Cleveland, and or Oakland or LA, New York, or Miami.

Seeing the Knicks get the 4 spot made my week. Individually Knicks fans are tolerable (Many reasonable ones here), but as a group they come off as entitled with am overstated view of importance of their franchise to the NBA. Its similar to Toronto Maple Leaf fans (for the few here that care about the NHL)

All that being said the Knicks fans are rabid, and deserve a better ownership group.

Seeing the Knicks get the 4 spot made my week. Individually Knicks fans are tolerable (Many reasonable ones here), but as a group they come off as entitled with am overstated view of importance of their franchise to the NBA. Its similar to Toronto Maple Leaf fans (for the few here that care about the NHL)

Really, I don't see that, I am a big knicks fan, and I will be the first to admit that the franchise is a complete and utter failure.

You don't need big guys to win in today's NBA. Golden State just won the first game of the Western Conference Finals playing a 6'7" center for most of the game. Russell is a good passer and shooter. He's an ideal fit for today's NBA. That's who I hope the Knicks end up with, but it'll probably end up being Winslow.

Last edited:
Ooh that would be a great watched final Golden State and Cleveland. God forbid Atlanta vs Golden State.

Where would i rather play Cleveland, and or Oakland or LA, New York, or Miami.

LA, NY, and Miami are in the lottery. Lebron left Miami. LA struck out on everyone last summer.

Lebron went to Cleveland. Love went to Cleveland. Curry chose to stay in Oakland.

It's not about you. The trend is clear. Players want to play for good teams/organizations and make money. Careers are short. They can live wherever they want in the offseason and post-career.

Good comp. The Leafs and Knicks have fanbases that always fillup their arenas and run by organizations that don't develop internally.
They are in the most important cities in each of their sport. The Leafs wanted McDavid badly and everyone thought the league would rig the lottery for them and the Oilers got him ala the T-Wolves.

Knick fans deserve a new owner, but as long as Dolan owns the team I think they will suck for the forseeable future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom