OT: The NBA Draft Lottery is a Joke | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: The NBA Draft Lottery is a Joke

LA, NY, and Miami are in the lottery. Lebron left Miami. LA struck out on everyone last summer.

Lebron went to Cleveland. Love went to Cleveland. Curry chose to stay in Oakland.

It's not about you. The trend is clear. Players want to play for good teams/organizations and make money. Careers are short. They can live wherever they want in the offseason and post-career.
Players want money and to win you nailed it.

Nobody wants to play in Minnesota. Honestly I would contract half of the NBA.

Focus/Care on New York, Brooklyn, Los Angelos, Miami, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas. You know I'm a big market guy.

Keep markets like Oklahoma City and San Antonio, maybe Portland and Orlando.

Get rid of the Minnesota, Milwaukee, Utah, and Sacremento. You know.

Get rid of the team that had two of the best players and one of the best coaches in NBA history. Check.

Ooh that would be a great watched final Golden State and Cleveland. God forbid Atlanta vs Golden State.

Where would i rather play Cleveland, and or Oakland or LA, New York, or Miami.

Markets don't make money in the NBA. Players do. I bet a Steph vs Lebron final is the highest rated in NBA history if it happens.

Russell is the best player in this draft, he said so himself. If the big guys are gone I definitely like Russell. Winslow was a great college player may be the next Corliss Williamson or Kidd-Gilchrist...neither of which woudl be worthy of the #4 pick.

Sign me up for Mudiay. I admit i'm intrigued. Not a Russell fan.

Sign Marc Gasol and Lamarcus Alridge. Now that's a team.

Yes, indeed. And with Melo and Calderon that would be a very nice starting 5 and a playoff team (especially in the weak East). Unfortunately though I haven't heard any indications that Gasol or Aldridge want to come here (at least Gasol and Calderon are buddies from the National team). Melo and Jose need to start recruiting, NOW. On a side note, the free agent I keep hearing that wants to come here is Greg Monroe. (But not really sure he's worth a max contract, which I'm sure he'll probably be looking for).

LA, NY, and Miami are in the lottery. Lebron left Miami. LA struck out on everyone last summer.

Lebron went to Cleveland. Love went to Cleveland. Curry chose to stay in Oakland.

It's not about you. The trend is clear. Players want to play for good teams/organizations and make money. Careers are short. They can live wherever they want in the offseason and post-career.

Couldn't agree more, although if you play in Golden State, you could live in San Fran, one of the best cities in the world.

It's hilarious how the Timberwolves have turned into the Sacramentos and Golden States of old. Those were the teams always at or near the top of the draft, and Sacramento was where good players would go to languish in agony, forever forgotten. Billy Owens fell into that abyss.

Oh, and don't forget your dad's Clippers. They were up there too. The Triumverate of Mediocrity.

If Minnesota wasn't in the loaded Western conference and were in the East their rebuild would be a lot easier. In KG's prime they were a playoff team every year and when he had teammates/depth they made the WCF. I don't think it coincidence they have sucked since KG left.
David Kahn took Johnny Flynn and Ricky Rubio over Steph Curry, and Wes Johnson over Boogie Cousins or Paul George.

The new CBA makes it hard for players to leave their team in FA if they want maximum dollars.
With Andrew Wiggins on the wing and Zack LaVine in the backcourt the Wolves are improving. If they were in the East they could be a ECF within 2-3 years if their guys continued developing. However, out West 1 thru 8 all dogfights. More elite talent is needed in the East.

Its Lebron, injured superstars Derrick Rose, Paul George, Carmelo Anthony and then Kyrie Irving, John Wall, older guys Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh.

The West is loaded.

Actually blame coach Derek Fisher who should have known he needed to make a few "moves" during the course of those 2 meaningless wins to make sure the NYK lost and didn't lose ping pong balls. If I was Dolan I would have fired him.
Exactly...

Ah a topic I can sink my teeth into.. after all I am the syracusefan.com draft guru (self appointed)..

For starters, the Twolves.. adding Towns (the best idea) will give them 3 #1 picks on their current roster from the last 4 years. Thats impressive? But anyways, Towns is the logical pick here. Able to play inside and out a bit, lets them play him with Pek and Dieng to create a decent front line. Throw in their young talented guys like Wiggins, Shabazz and Levine and theres potential there. Not next year potential, I'd bet they draft in the lotto again. But within the next 2-3 years they will have something.

Lakers getting Okafor is a nice piece. A lot of people are saying him and Randle will be a great 1-2 punch. But Randle played something like 6 games last year, I would want to see what he can actually do in the NBA before announcing hes part of a newer twin towers duo. Also I look forward to Kobe calling out Okafor at some point in the season.

Philly is philly, they get their MCW replacement with one of the 2 guards. Should be Russell, but I cant take Philly serious since theyre essentially running their team like college aged drunk cuseclappy playing nba 2k6 and trading away my team daily bc I was bored.

Now the knickerbockers. Theyre precious. I know some of you guys are mad getting #4, understood. But adding Mudiay is far from a bummer. IMO hes the closest Derrick Rose comp since Rose hit the NBA. Athletic, slasher, driven, getting better jump shot. I can see some people mentioning Winslow. I would have no problem adding Eddie Winslow to this team, but I felt he peeked at Vanderbelt High School . (if you got that joke, bless your heart). Anyways Justice brings much needed toughness to the Knicks as well as a major doseage of athleticism. Between the two likely options they'll have. I still would take Mudiay. Has star potential written all over him.

From there, the rest of the draft is a crap shoot. WCS can defend, but never averaged more than 10 ppg in 3 college seasons. I know his defensive numbers were good, but if you're taking an offensively challenged big in the top 7, then... I've seen the grainy videos on the top Euro guys, Kristaps and Mario. Not much to take from those. Mario looks athletic, and Kristaps smooth. But I cant say much else there. I see to see them in their 1 on none work outs against chairs first.

In conclusion, the top 4 of this draft I think are quasi sure things (is that an oxy-moron?) regardless it should be interesting. I look forward to it and will have the ever popular Cuseclappy mock up soon.

I really hate the NBA draft lottery its such BS. Draft position should be based on inverse record not luck of the draw. The NFL and MLB don't see a need for it to stop tanking.

In the NBA, one player can have a lot more influence than the two other leagues.

Before Mudiay left for China, many analysts had him on par with Okafor. I think this kid is extremely underrated and has a legitimate shot to be the best player in this draft class. Put him in the triangle with Melo and a big man signed in free agency and the team could be winning games soon. Buuuut, we all know the Knicks will trade their first round pick for the billionth time for some combination of players that won't pan out, so don't even bother paying attention for the next month.

Knicks at least have a chance of Okafor or Russell falling to them at 4, but obviously this is a little disappointing.

Mudiay is a great prospect, but he's a terrible fit for the Knicks system. Winslow isn't worth a top 5 pick IMO. The only other two worth considering are Porzingis and Hezonja, but I have a feeling the Knicks won't really consider either of them. I guess you just hope for Mudiay but it's like fitting a square peg through a round hole.

Contract Cleveland and Oakland, no good players would ever go/stay there...wait...

I just gave you examples of players choosing to go to Minnesota when they were good. Players want to play for good teams above all else. Garnett didn't leave at the first chance. He left(and didn't really want to) when he was getting older and it was clear that winning wasn't going to happen in Minnesota anymore.

These players can live wherever they want for 4-6 months per year anyway, and are on the road all the time. Nobody was signing up to go to LA last summer. The top FA's have passed up NY many times. Good teams/organizations are more important than the city in most cases.

Well I think Lebron is a little different, since he's from the Cleveland area. And the Warriors haven't brought anyone in from the outside as a major FA addition. (But if they had the cap space now they'd surely be able to do so)

That being said, first and foremost, players want to win, I 100% agree with that. Most guys would rather play for a good team in an undesirable location than a poor team in a good location. But if you're a team like Minnesota I think you have to develop a star through the draft in order to entice FA to come there.

As far as the Knicks go, I really like Towns, I'm very disappointed they can't get him. They should still be able to get a good player between Russell and Mudiay. Sign a defensive oriented big, play Melo at the 4, and see what happens.

Focus/Care on New York, Brooklyn, Los Angelos, Miami, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas. You know I'm a big market guy.

Sorry, I don't know. Nothing about this post makes sense.

If Towns goes 1 and the Lakers take Russell 2nd. The Knicks would get Okafor at 4 as Philly would take Mudiay.

I think wheeler-dealer Hinkie would trade the #3 pick to the highest bidder if Okafor fell to #3. Which he won't.

Knicks at least have a chance of Okafor or Russell falling to them at 4, but obviously this is a little disappointing.

Mudiay is a great prospect, but he's a terrible fit for the Knicks system. Winslow isn't worth a top 5 pick IMO. The only other two worth considering are Porzingis and Hezonja, but I have a feeling the Knicks won't really consider either of them. I guess you just hope for Mudiay but it's like fitting a square peg through a round hole.

Why wouldn't Mudiay be a good fit?

Last edited:
I think wheeler-dealer Hinkie would trade the #3 pick to the highest bidder if Okafor fell to #3. Which he won't.
I still think he could. If the Lakers decide that Randle and Okafor will leave the vulnerable defensively, they may go with Russell or Mudiay.

By your logic the NFL should contract Green Bay. No way in hell anyone would want to play in a small market town in freakin' Wisconsin, right?

I doubt there would be a trade as Philly wants a PG. If they traded the 3rd spot without Russell on the board the 76ers wouldn't be able to get Mudiay as the NYK would likely take him at 4.

If the Lakers want Russell at 2 the NYK could get Okafor, but I think Towns/Okafor go 1-2.

There's 4 elite prospects in the draft, 5 if you count Winslow. Knicks will get someone good but i'm pretty sure they wanted either Towns-Okafor-Russell and now they may have to settle for Mudiay, which may or may not be a bad thing.

By your logic the NFL should contract Green Bay. No way in hell anyone would want to play in a small market town in freakin' Wisconsin, right?
I'm not for contraction, but I think NFL and NBA are two different animals. With the popularity of the NFL (and revenue sharing), it's easier for small market teams to do well. Having a hard cap helps even the playing field too. And I wouldn't want a hard cap for the NBA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom