OT: Tony Dungy | Syracusefan.com

OT: Tony Dungy

billsin01

All American
So I apologize if this was posted elsewhere, but I didn't see a thread on it. Figured it was worth discussing though. So Tony Dungy wouldn't want Michael Sam on his team b/c it would be a distraction. Awesome. My five favorite things about this story:

5. That an openly gay player playing in the NFL -- or really any major sports league -- is a huge story. I mean, the media gets a lot of grief, deservedly so, for making mountains out of mole hills. But this is a real story because it never happens. How funny -- in a ridiculous, pathetic way -- is that?

4. That Tony Dungy is the moral voice of the NFL. A Maker of Men. Awesome.

3. That Dungy is doing his part to make it a bigger story and, therefore, a bigger distraction for his fellow coaches.

2. That a guy who is gay and attracts a few extra cameras to practice is bad, but a guy who beats women or has his nose buried in blow every night or is arrested four times in a three year stretch, should be given every opportunity to straighten himself out (pun intended). OK.

1. That NFL coaches -- and dungy is clearly not alone -- live in constant fear of a player being anything other than a simple football player. An original thought is honestly their biggest fear. Got to love that.

As a fan of the Pats, the whole concept of being terrified of "distractions" is comical to me.

We've had Corey Dillon, Randy Moss, Chad Ochocinco, Albert Haynesworth, and Tim Tebow grace our roster...none became a distraction that prevented the team from winning.

We cut a team captain, Lawyer Milloy, the week a season started. And went on to win a Super Bowl that year.

We had "Spygate", after which the news of it broke we rolled off an undefeated regular season and AFC Championship.

Hell, we had a guy freakin' KILL someone, and went on to the AFC Championship game the same season.

But yeah, the gay guy is going to cause some insurmountable level of distraction. Dungy is a tool.

As a fan of the Pats, the whole concept of being terrified of "distractions" is comical to me.

We've had Corey Dillon, Randy Moss, Chad Ochocinco, Albert Haynesworth, and Tim Tebow grace our roster...none became a distraction that prevented the team from winning.

We had "Spygate", after which the news of it broke we rolled off an undefeated regular season and AFC Championship.

We had a guy freakin' KILL someone, and went on to the AFC Championship game the same season.

But yeah, the gay guy is going to cause some insurmountable level of distraction.

Dungy is a tool.

Exactly the point. Aaron Hernandez is a great example given all the stuff he had in his past to begin with, but Dungy never trashed him that I know of. This whole episode is unreal.

Shoot. My bad.

No problem at all. It was actually on the off-topic board, not this one. I just happened to glance at it today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom