OT Tracy McGrady | Syracusefan.com

OT Tracy McGrady

RandygoCuse

All Conference
Figure that now is as good a time as any for an OT thread. Tracy McGrady is up for the HOF. Is he worthy? I go back and forth (not much playoff success and a lot of injuries), but I think his individual accolades (scoring titles, all star appearances, all NBA appearances) get him over the top. Others may disagree. I'd love to hear both sides.

Figure that now is as good a time as any for an OT thread. Tracy McGrady is up for the HOF. Is he worthy? I go back and forth (not much playoff success and a lot of injuries), but I think his individual accolades (scoring titles, all star appearances, all NBA appearances) get him over the top. Others may disagree. I'd love to hear both sides.

Yes, I would vote him in. His status as an elite player was cut short due to injuries, but he was a Top 5 player in the league between 2000 and 2007 or so. One of the most gifted offensive players in the history of the sport.

Yes, I would put him in. Personally I think it's unfair to expect a certain level of longevity out of players in order for them to get in. Guys get hurt. It's usually not their fault. We're not talking about 1 great year here. The guy was one of the best players in the league for awhile. Guys like Reggie Miller and Mitch Richmond were very good and are in, but they couldn't lace prime T-Mac's Adidas. Put him in. Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill too. Not to mention, Yao Ming is in and his greatness was cut shorter than TMac's, and he was never as good as T-Mac either.

My quick hot take is the Hall of Very Good, but his prime was my NBA 'dead period'.

The post VanGundy years were dark here in the City.

If he makes it, I wouldn't be upset.

Melo is/was better.

Yes. Absolutely. At his peak he was neck and neck with Kobe, if not better. Now, Kobe is probably a top ten player of all time, just pointing out that TMac's peak was very high.

Yes. Absolutely. At his peak he was neck and neck with Kobe, if not better. Now, Kobe is probably a top ten player of all time, just pointing out that TMac's peak was very high.
So was Mattingly's.

I'm just throwing Shlit out there to understand and take a real position...

In some ways Kobe/McGrady reminds me of Jordan/Drexler

T-Mac and Nash were my favorite players growing up, so I'm admittedly biased towards him. I'd vote him in.

Hall of very good

Man, I dunno. The basketball HOF is kinda bastardized anyway. He was legitimately great for a few years (twice made first team all league, 3 times second, pretty impressive) so I guess? The complete lack of playoff success has to work against him a little.

Reggie Miller might disagree with that comment

Meh, I think TMac's was more impressive. The Reggie one is more about the Knicks completely self-destructing, though taking the loose ball and running back out to the 3 point line for that 2nd 3 is just crazy haha. I feel like most players would have just taken the layup/short jumper in that instance.

McGrady had one of the greatest peaks ever.

PER is a flawed stat but his 02-03 season ranks 18th all time. The players in front of him? Wilt, MJ, LBJ, Steph, Anthony Davis, David Robinson, Shaq and Wade.

I get that some of you guys liked him. I always thought he was more Me-Mac than T-Mac. What the heck, different strokes ...

I get that some of you guys liked him. I always thought he was more Me-Mac than T-Mac. What the heck, different strokes ...

And he has averaged 1 more assist than Carmelo Anthony over his career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom