OT: UGA Indoor Facility Cost | Syracusefan.com

OT: UGA Indoor Facility Cost

Note this quote from the AD in response to the proposed cost

“We have one chance to get it right, and we do not want to compromise,” McGarity said. “This building will be here forever. … We want to get everything we want in this building.”

From previous stories, it sounds like Florida is building one just like SU, a field and nothing else.

UGA has to have something better than UF and Ga Tech. Their fans expect it and they have the money to do it. Tech's IPF and gated practice compound looked top notch when leaving their stadium. Appears that only went up in 2011... which is about the time they had their resurgence. Hmmmm

UGA has to have something better than UF and Ga Tech. Their fans expect it and they have the money to do it. Tech's IPF and gated practice compound looked top notch when leaving their stadium. Appears that only went up in 2011... which is about the time they had their resurgence. Hmmmm

We aren't looking for a resurgence...we are looking to cement our place at the bottom of the P5 in any way possible.

We aren't looking for a resurgence...we are looking to cement our place at the bottom of the P5 in any way possible.

How do you figure that?

"One chance to get it right".

That is hillllllarious!

I guaran-damn-tee you that within a decade of completion every one of these schools will start bleating about how they need a new IPF because the "old" one is horribly outdated and impeding their ability to dazzle 17 year old boys.

Don't you guys know that our IPF was built in the same dimensions as the Dome? The walls are set where the fans seats start so that when they actually play in the Dome the dimensions look and feel the same on all sides to provide for a simulated game perspective including the same lighting foot candles?

I think SU did this the right way and really thought it through - unless of course we build a new Stadium.

Finally as I will continue to say - in weather restricted Northern Schools, the need for indoor facilities is far greater than Southern Schools so SU should have been on the forefront of IPFs than anyone else. We have hamstrung all of our athletes, not just football players, with the lack of facilities.

The proof in the pudding is the result - spring practice begins and ends sooner for football allowing players to maximize both formal and informal, along with filming of both, practices that are spread out over time to hone in and learn the plays in the playbook much better. It also maximizes time to be spend in the classroom and for having enough time to spend studying for exams.

They simply did not have enough time allocated to do this with just 2 IPFs. So I take exception with those that think we didnt need this new IPF - we needed it more so than most. Nuff said.

How do you figure that?

It is part sarcasm...it is part truth. When was the last time you heard anyone from SU say we want to have the best facilities in the ACC (like Clemson)? When was the last time you heard anyone in at SU make that kind of commitment and back it up when it comes to athletics?

All I have hear publicly is "..how are we going to get to revenue neutral status?". When it should be "...what do we have to do to be the leader in the ACC?"

It seems that they are content to do just enough to get by. And are content to know that our facilities will be just as good as Wake Forest once they have their IPF next year. Not sure that is something we can toot our horn about, but you be the judge.

Clemson wants to win championships and they put their money where their mouth is. SU wants to be mediocre and it shows in how the program is supported. Just saying.

If you want to win a drag race, you don't buy a Prius.

Clemson approved $62 million on football ops facility:
http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150206/PC20/150209553
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...oves-62-million-for-new-football-ops-complex/

They also recently put $50 million into the TENNIS FACILITIES in 2011.

EDIT: I will happily eat crow IF they ever spend $150 mil on refurbishing the Dome and it brings in great recruits to the program. I won't hold my breath though.

Last edited:
It is part sarcasm...it is part truth. When was the last time you heard anyone from SU say we want to have the best facilities in the ACC (like Clemson)? When was the last time you heard anyone in at SU make that kind of commitment and back it up when it comes to athletics?

All I have hear publicly is "..how are we going to get to revenue neutral status?". When it should be "...what do we have to do to be the leader in the ACC?"

It seems that they are content to do just enough to get by. And are content to know that our facilities will be just as good as Wake Forest once they have their IPF next year. Not sure that is something we can toot our horn about, but you be the judge.

Clemson wants to win championships and they put their money where their mouth is. SU wants to be mediocre and it shows in how the program is supported. Just saying.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...oves-62-million-for-new-football-ops-complex/

It doesn't matter If our facilities are the most expensive, it matters that they are functional. It gives the players what they needed to succeed vs being hamstrung vs our peers. Having an ipf avail year round is huge for a northeastern school. Its no coincidence the top high school players come mainly from areas that athletes can play year round. Dade county players can go out and run a full practice right now, we hage frostbite warning for skin exposed for over 15 minutes. Bama's weight room is massive but the equipment is the same and the plates weigh the same. Again, its on the players to make the most of what they have. We now have all that we need for them to do that. Hunt can throw 100 crossing routes a day to Broyld, AJ can throw 100 fades to Ishmael.

The flip side is hoops where we have one of the newest, most expensive facilities and the team has been mediocre this season regardless. Again, its on the players to make the most of it.

It doesn't matter If our facilities are the most expensive, it matters that they are functional. It gives the players what they needed to succeed vs being hamstrung vs our peers. Having an ipf avail year round is huge for a northeastern school. Its no coincidence the top high school players come mainly from areas that athletes can play year round. Dade county players can go out and run a full practice right now, we hage frostbite warning for skin exposed for over 15 minutes. Bama's weight room is massive but the equipment is the same and the plates weigh the same. Again, its on the players to make the most of what they have. We now have all that we need for them to do that. Hunt can throw 100 crossing routes a day to Broyld, AJ can throw 100 fades to Ishmael.

The flip side is hoops where we have one of the newest, most expensive facilities and the team has been mediocre this season regardless. Again, its on the players to make the most of it.

Couple things.

In some ways it is about the functionality of the buildings/facilities. Most facilities "function" in the same way which is pretty obvious.

Yes a 45lb plate weighs the same in Tuscaloosa as it does here in Syracuse.
Yes T-Hunt can use the same size field in our IPF as their 4 (4 & 5*) QB's can in their IPF.

Functionality is where the similarities end.

Since you brought up Alabama, I will use them as the example but you could use Clemson (Peer school but not really), or a number of programs.

When you look even at pictures of their facilities, what are your thoughts? What would a recruit think when comparing facilities? What about the coaches and their salaries, what does that say about the program? Does a kid want to go where the best highest paid coaches are or somewhere else? Add all of these things up and what do you get?

Let's say our coaching staff was equally as good as Bama's, they're not but let's suspend reality for moment. Why wouldn't a kid want the best coaches AND the best facilities? They are not mutually exclusive, a kid can have both.

Which facilities, public perception of those facilities, coaches salaries, coaching hires, which program screams commitment to football to you? Bama's or Cuse's.

Bottom line is that the administration at SU does not show a commitment to Football other that to be somewhat profitable and maintain the status quo so they get their $20 mil from the ACC and their 3 hour commercial 7 Saturdays a year.

Don't you guys know that our IPF was built in the same dimensions as the Dome? The walls are set where the fans seats start so that when they actually play in the Dome the dimensions look and feel the same on all sides to provide for a simulated game perspective including the same lighting foot candles?

I think SU did this the right way and really thought it through - unless of course we build a new Stadium.

Finally as I will continue to say - in weather restricted Northern Schools, the need for indoor facilities is far greater than Southern Schools so SU should have been on the forefront of IPFs than anyone else. We have hamstrung all of our athletes, not just football players, with the lack of facilities.

The proof in the pudding is the result - spring practice begins and ends sooner for football allowing players to maximize both formal and informal, along with filming of both, practices that are spread out over time to hone in and learn the plays in the playbook much better. It also maximizes time to be spend in the classroom and for having enough time to spend studying for exams.

They simply did not have enough time allocated to do this with just 2 IPFs. So I take exception with those that think we didnt need this new IPF - we needed it more so than most. Nuff said.

It's first direct impact will be a great Lacrosse season this year.

Couple things.

In some ways it is about the functionality of the buildings/facilities. Most facilities "function" in the same way which is pretty obvious.

Yes a 45lb plate weighs the same in Tuscaloosa as it does here in Syracuse.
Yes T-Hunt can use the same size field in our IPF as their 4 (4 & 5*) QB's can in their IPF.

Functionality is where the similarities end.

Since you brought up Alabama, I will use them as the example but you could use Clemson (Peer school but not really), or a number of programs.

When you look even at pictures of their facilities, what are your thoughts? What would a recruit think when comparing facilities? What about the coaches and their salaries, what does that say about the program? Does a kid want to go where the best highest paid coaches are or somewhere else? Add all of these things up and what do you get?

Let's say our coaching staff was equally as good as Bama's, they're not but let's suspend reality for moment. Why wouldn't a kid want the best coaches AND the best facilities? They are not mutually exclusive, a kid can have both.

Which facilities, public perception of those facilities, coaches salaries, coaching hires, which program screams commitment to football to you? Bama's or Cuse's.

Bottom line is that the administration at SU does not show a commitment to Football other that to be somewhat profitable and maintain the status quo so they get their $20 mil from the ACC and their 3 hour commercial 7 Saturdays a year.

So now you're bitching because SU isn't spending like an SEC State University? I say what those schools spend on football is an indictment on the priorities of those schools and the governments that support them.

It's screams insane overindulgence.

As late and halting as it has been SU deserves credit for moving forward with improvements given financial and other constraints. It's easy to complain when you don't have to manage competing priorities and real world limitations.

Last edited:

EDIT: I will happily eat crow IF they ever spend $150 mil on refurbishing the Dome and it brings in great recruits to the program. I won't hold my breath though.

ALL State schools. What do the private school facilities look like?

That is hillllllarious!

I guaran-damn-tee you that within a decade of completion every one of these schools will start bleating about how they need a new IPF because the "old" one is horribly outdated and impeding their ability to dazzle 17 year old boys.

I can definitely see this happening at SU. "We need coaches offices, a locker room, weight room, etc. all in the same facility because everyone else has this..."

I can definitely see this happening at SU. "We need coaches offices, a locker room, weight room, etc. all in the same facility because everyone else has this..."

That is hillllllarious!

Nature of the business. SU will always be playing catchup. We need to capitalize on the years (2015) when our facilities are on par and win in those years. Winning can help bridge the gap, at least slightly. We ain't ever gonna be Georgia, Bama, FSU.

ALL State schools. What do the private school facilities look like?

Most recruits don't walk into an IPF or football facilities and say "..geez this is a private school so they are financially at a disadvantage so I will give them a pass for having mediocre facilities". That's not how it works in recruiting.

Most people/fans look at a Multi- BILLION dollar university and say "why don't they have better facilities, they have Billions of dollars, what's $50 more million". Right or wrong, that is perception...and perception is reality.

Recruits look at it and say "I want to go somewhere to be the best and their commitment to the program might be lacking" Purely by looking at facilities. That's where we lose.

EDIT: You can decree publicly all you want "if a kid wants to got somewhere because of a building, he probably is't a kid we want." When realistically the kid never considered us or gave us a fair shake because we didn't have the building to get him in the door to have a look at what SU can really offer.

So now you're bitching because SU isn't spending like an SEC State University? I say what those schools spend on football is an indictment on the priorities of those schools and the governments that support them.

It's screams insane overindulgence.

As late and halting as it has been SU deserves credit for moving forward with improvements given financial and other constraints. It's easy to complain when you don't have to manage competing priorities and real world limitations.

Not bitching about anything. Stating the obvious.

You brought up Alabama so I said Alabama. I also said you could use a number of schools, not SEC. I also mentioned Clemson, our "peer school".

I am a fan and I spend money on the program as well as committed to supporting them. I have every right.

I have a problem with their commitment to being mediocre and doing "just enough" to get by in athletics especially football. As opposed to making a commitment to being an upper echelon P5 program.

It is not just about facilities if you were actually reading what I wrote.

That's not really what I meant, though.

The arms race occurring in college athletics is obscene, and honestly it turns me off to following college sports.

Most recruits don't walk into an IPF or football facilities and say "..geez this is a private school so they are financially at a disadvantage so I will give them a pass for having mediocre facilities". That's not how it works in recruiting.

Most people/fans look at a Multi- BILLION dollar university and say "why don't they have better facilities, they have Billions of dollars, what's $50 more million". Right or wrong, that is perception...and perception is reality.

Recruits look at it and say "I want to go somewhere to be the best and their commitment to the program might be lacking" Purely by looking at facilities. That's where we lose.

EDIT: You can decree publicly all you want "if a kid wants to got somewhere because of a building, he probably is't a kid we want." When realistically the kid never considered us or gave us a fair shake because we didn't have the building to get him in the door to have a look at what SU can really offer.

what you think they're saying is purely speculation. Ive read quotes where our recruits are saying our facilities are 1st rate. Our IPG rivals anyones. The Clarks said our facilities are as good as Floridas in some respects.

Frankly, I think a kid is picking Bama or Clemson because of 100,000 in the stadiums and crazy atmospheres rather than a practice field.

That said, a private school can't compete in the arms race with big budgeted stated schools who are cranking out 30K alumni every year. that's the reality.

Not bitching about anything. Stating the obvious.

You brought up Alabama so I said Alabama. I also said you could use a number of schools, not SEC. I also mentioned Clemson, our "peer school".

I am a fan and I spend money on the program as well as committed to supporting them. I have every right.

I have a problem with their commitment to being mediocre and doing "just enough" to get by in athletics especially football. As opposed to making a commitment to being an upper echelon P5 program.

It is not just about facilities if you were actually reading what I wrote.

You have a right?

Unless you are making a six figure donation you have a right to go the games a cheer.

Other than that you are a peanut gallery complainer.

You have a right?

Unless you are making a six figure donation you have a right to go the games a cheer.

Other than that you are a peanut gallery complainer.

So now you are the arbiter of who has a right to do something and determine a monetary value on when that is allowed? How big was the donation for you to get that power?

I am a fan and have a right to do whatever I please including complain as well as cheer.

Sad that you don't feel the Football program deserves better than what it has been given to work with. I alos bet that if someone ca up with a $200 mil donation to the program you would be all for new facilities. Funny how that works.

You also do your fair share of "peanut gallery complaining" as you call it.

So now you are the arbiter of who has a right to do something and determine a monetary value on when that is allowed? How big was the donation for you to get that power?

I am a fan and have a right to do whatever I please including complain as well as cheer.

Sad that you don't feel the Football program deserves better than what it has been given to work with. I alos bet that if someone ca up with a $200 mil donation to the program you would be all for new facilities. Funny how that works.

You also do your fair share of "peanut gallery complaining" as you call it.

Sitting on their hands and doing nothing is one thing, complaining after they actually get stuff accomplished that it isn't enough is another.

They are spending money, they are upgrading the facilities, not sure what the problem is other than it isn't gilded enough for you.