OT - UVM Guard suspended 8 games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - UVM Guard suspended 8 games

I understand how it could get out of control, though you're example is obviously taking it to the extreme. That said, the slippery slope argument is almost always shaky ground to argue from.
Actually, I would not be surprised to learn that there are college sports fans out there with valuable collections of used college textbooks.

I assume 'normal' students on certain academic scholarships have books covered also, no? So those students can clearly sell their books without issue but a a student-athlete isn't afforded the same right? Wonderful.

How he happened to get caught is another head-scratcher.

you are correct in this. my son has a full academic scholarship at UNI and sells his books back at semester end, giving him a few extra spending dollars.

Think about the slippery slope here. A school could provide a student athlete with 50k worth of textbooks per semester which the student could then "sell" to a booster in "need" of such books.
Honestly, I think it's great if players can do that. Heck, $50k is too low. A solid Sociology 101 text is easily worth $50k all alone, and you want to talk about a whole semester's worth of books being $50k? Pfft.

you are correct in this. my son has a full academic scholarship at UNI and sells his books back at semester end, giving him a few extra spending dollars.
By the heel of Achilles, you MUST prevent your son from doing this! He is precipitously close to angling down a slope of such slipperiness that few ever recover on any philosophical, moral or ethical grounds!