OT: What are the best public golf courses to play in Syracuse area | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: What are the best public golf courses to play in Syracuse area

Question from a noob.

I've never played golf before and really want to learn. What's the best way of going about this? Should I just go and play?
Lessons from a pro. If you are in syracuse, search out Dave Rhone, a local teaching pro. Last I knew he was at golf galaxy on Erie

rocklloyd said:
Lessons from a pro. If you are in syracuse, search out Dave Rhone, a local teaching pro. Last I knew he was at golf galaxy on Erie

Hes out at cny golf next to ricos now

I have always loved playing Green Lakes. Fun to play. It will be great to see it once they've invested all the state money in it as well.

mountaincuse said:
Zebbs probably

I think that might be it. Line was long as hell just to get a seat. Traveling a lot as I do, I've never been disappointed by a restaurant with a long ass line - it's a tried and true method.

Question from a noob.

I've never played golf before and really want to learn. What's the best way of going about this? Should I just go and play?

Driving range with somebody who knows what they're doing. Doesn't necessarily have to be a pro, but if you have the money for lessons, a teaching pro certainly doesn't hurt.

After a couple weeks of that, I'd try par 3 courses before the real deal. They're much more relaxed environments and generally allow for some practice on the course because you can get through holes pretty quickly. If it's not too busy, I'd try to play two balls each hole. 75% of a golf round is/should be shots from 150yds. and closer, so par 3 courses are an inexpensive way to practice most of golf.

My only other advice is to get fit for clubs. I don't know your budget, but Golf Galaxy offers a full bag club fitting for I think 90 bucks or so. Even if you don't buy the clubs on the spot, the fitting will give you a good idea of what type of clubs would suit your game.

Good luck!

What are some good courses within a half hour or so from the Syracuse Airport. We'd like to consider Turning Stone but it might be too far to fit into our time restraint.
Agree with most everything posted to date.

I would add Marcellus Golf Course to the list. It used to be called Links at Sunset Ridge. They have new ownership, not sure what if any impact that will have on things. But it is a relatively open layout, pretty easy to score on, good for big hitters who spray the ball (6 par 5s). Pretty area, you get some nice views of the Marcellus Valley. The greens don't hold lines well.

Also think about Pompey Country Club if you like hilly courses. It is located up in the hills near Pompey, and is one of the highest points in Onondaga County. Has some great views of the city, Onondaga Lake and, on a clear day, you can even see the tips of the cooling towers of Nine Mile Point power plant on Lake Ontario. It is short and quirky but has some really fun holes and the greens are usually among the best in the area (not flat). Good food after too.

McConnellsville is another nice one a little off the beaten path that barely fits inside your time limit. Short, kind of hilly, nice greens that are usually fast and roll well. Reasonably priced. Has good food in the clubhouse; really good burgers.

Those last two are out in the country. If you value peace and quiet, they could be good choices.

If you want a good course close by the airport, think about Liverpool. It is flat, reasonably priced, kept in good shape, and has good greens. I don't recommend the food in the clubhouse and it is not a good choice if you are looking for peace and quiet (it has a couple of busy roads that border some holes). It would be your best choice if the weather has been wet...it drains really well.

Last edited:
Turning Stone is not that far away from Syracuse airport. Clean shot down I=90. Under 40 minutes, according to Mapquest. Closer to 30 minutes the way most people drive.
Turning stone is going to cost you double what any other course in Syracuse will. Timber Banks second most costly. We have alot of great courses around Syracuse, we are very lucky.

Most courses offer group lessons. Do that first and then possibly individual lessons afterwards. Learn the right way first. It will save you a lifetime of agony.
Definitely. I started out by buying shitty clubs and just playing. After 15 years and eventually spending tons of money on fancy clubs, memberships, and lessons, I could never break the bad habits that I developed trying to learn to play on my own and I ended up quitting the game. I still play, but only occasionally now and no more than 9 holes.

Get the fundamentals down (grip, stance/posture, and swing) and drill them to build muscle memory. You'll have more fun and there is plenty of time later to fiddle with the hundreds of tiny adjustments you can make to become incrementally better.

Played Foxfire growing up when it was like $10 for under 18 or whatever. I always thought it was a great course. Haven't played in 10-12 years, so I'm not sure the current status, but I always enjoyed it. I think it was also one of the few courses I'd play that wasn't a muddy mess this time of the year.

My favorite open to the public course in CNY is Timber Banks. That said, the multi-level greens were quite frustrating until I learned them.
For that reason, I don't recommend TB for 1 round only.

Scoopadelphia said:
Off topic, but this thread reminds me of how in my last year of law school (2012), I played golf almost every single day in August, September, October, and April at Drumlins West. 20 bucks gave us all you can play golf. What great times - golf, go to class, go to Chuck's and Faegan's, and watch our team go to the Final Four. Great memories. Love the Cuse.
here here...

Ok, is drumlins west the one out past Manley and all the soccer fields? I feel like that's where I spent my last year also (but cuse didn't lose...)

here here...

Ok, is drumlins west the one out past Manley and all the soccer fields? I feel like that's where I spent my last year also (but cuse didn't lose...)

Yes. Public and private sides. The west (which is a dump) is the public side.

Off topic, but this thread reminds me of how in my last year of law school (2012), I played golf almost every single day in August, September, October, and April at Drumlins West. 20 bucks gave us all you can play golf. What great times - golf, go to class, go to Chuck's and Faegan's, and watch our team go to the Final Four. Great memories. Love the Cuse.

2013, but the point stands.

Marsh01 said:
Yes. Public and private sides. The west (which is a dump) is the public side.
is the driving range still into the side of a hill?

really fun holes and the greens are usually among the best in the area (not flat). Good food after too.

McConnellsville is another nice one a little off the beaten path that barely fits inside your time limit. Short, kind of hilly, nice greens that are usually fast and roll well. Reasonably priced. Has good food in the clubhouse; really good burgers.

I grew up literally 2 miles up the road from McConnellsville. I'll second that it is a great course and always well maintained. It pushes the time limit mentioned but it's worth it if you're willing to make the trip. Who knows how much longer the course will be around - in this shape, at least - with the shakeup at Harden's and Greg supposedly considering selling the course.

What are some good courses within a half hour or so from the Syracuse Airport. We'd like to consider Turning Stone but it might be too far to fit into our time restraint.

No love for 7 Oaks? But probably the same out of the way trip for you as Turning Stone.

UnderHisOwnPower said:
No love for 7 Oaks? But probably the same out of the way trip for you as Turning Stone.

Love seven oaks. Didnt include it as its a hike

Love seven oaks. Didnt include it as its a hike
Yup, great course (Robert Trent Jones, like Green Lakes and Radisson) but takes even longer to get to than the Turning Stone courses.

Question from a noob.

First if you want to start playing golf get lessons!!! Ultimately you will enjoy the game so much more without a lot of frustration (although every golfer feels frustration many times during the course of the year). Several recommendations have been given and you will always find a "pro" to get instructions at every course. Personally I still get instructions at the Stone Dome (Turning Stone). During the winter they offer clinics and for 1:1 instruction the Pros are very good (and not as expensive as some people might suggest). For example the going price for a pro on a course usually runs about $60 for a 40' lesson. That equates to about $1.50 per minute. At Turning Stone and I am sure at other places the cost is $115 for an hour lesson equaling $1.92 per minute. The difference isn't that great so find the person pro that fits you best. I have my favorites but you need to find the right "fit" for an instructor no matter where you go ... just like clubs.

I may be blasted for this but I would not start out by being fitted for clubs. You are usually talking pretty good investment for clubs that way. You may decide you don't want to play golf (i.e. my wife) and you will end up with an expensive set of clubs in your closet gathering dust. Start out with a fairly inexpensive set of beginner clubs (ie: Dick's or Golf Galaxy) and try the game. If you like it and want to improve then lessons and a club fitting. Lessons... lessons... lessons.

After your 1st year check out some leagues ... easy ones that have people that meet your demographics (i.e. age, ability, etc). That way you will meet more playing partners and people you enjoy being with.

Finally, club fittings. I waited until my 3rd year to get fully fit. I had purchased a new driver and 5 wood (I never use) on my own. I am not a Golf Galaxy fan. I will start out with that. I went there once and found the "pros" very rude!! I was fitted at Turning Stone and she spent about 2 hours with me fitting and sizing my new set of irons and hybrids. If you buy the clubs there you the fitting is free. If you spend $300 or more you get a free round at Shenandoah for every $300 you spend. That's $125-$150 off every $300 you spend.

Good luck. Syracuse area is blessed with great golf!!

Last edited:
I was in the golf industry for 15 years and i agree 100%. The clubs are the last piece of the puzzle. Learn the game first. You will know when you are ready to pick up a nice set of sticks.

Speaking to club fitting, I'd still say it's worth it to go to Golf Galaxy or Turning Stone, or wherever else has qualified fitters, to get an idea of what type of clubs you need. Driver loft and shaft flex are the two things almost every amateur gets wrong, so at the very least, pay 30 bucks and figure out what type of driver you should have. As for irons, if you're pretty much average height with a relatively normal arm length (wrist-to-floor is the measurement), you can skip the iron fitting to start out. However, if you're shorter or taller than average, I think it would be a good investment to figure out what length and lie angle adjustments would suit you best. Playing clubs that don't fit can result in some nasty swing habits (think Tim Tebow learning to throw a football that was too big, so his motion sucks).

You don't have to purchase the clubs you're fit for; you can always look elsewher for a better deal or for clubs that are more or less in the same category.

Oh. Btw people who think that if the clubs come from A ... B ... or C that they will get a better deal. Thats how and Golf Galaxy do so well in the golfing equipment business. Actually the prices (sales) are usually established by the manufacturer. So if you can get such and such for $ whatever ... the other stores will have them for the same price. So find your favorite store and stay there.

Also you can, many times, find a very reasonable set of used clubs/

Oh. Btw people who think that if the clubs come from A ... B ... or C that they will get a better deal. Thats how and Golf Galaxy do so well in the golfing equipment business. Actually the prices (sales) are usually established by the manufacturer. So if you can get such and such for $ whatever ... the other stores will have them for the same price. So find your favorite store and stay there.

Also you can, many times, find a very reasonable set of used clubs/

Also, Golf Galaxy is owned by Dick's I believe, so I'm sure there isn't much variation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom