OT: What is it about twins here? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: What is it about twins here?

I am the father of twins, one boy one girl. Best question I ever got was from a co-worker right after they were born. "They are boy - girl, are they identical?"
I hope you said yes.

"Two at once? How do you do it?" Our answer was always, "They're our first (and second) - we don't know anything different." One at a time would seem like a breeze. :cool:

My brother and sister in law give the same reply - They also get asked from time to time if my twin niece and nephew are identical.

I fixed it for you, Joyce. Totally understand the error- you were probably thinking of yourself when you wrote the original.
Joe... Both TOL and her twin sister have children who are college graduates. Kind of hard to do that if you're in your 20's. (That is why I assumed they were in their 40's, even though they look much younger).

I'm a big fan of adjusting the time clock backward, but my eldest daughter will be 30 this fall, and I was not pregnant as a teen, sooooo... I think you guys might be seeing things through beer goggles.

Staying on the off-topic topic, I've actually noticed the same thing about the numbers of twins on this board. When you consider how small this community is as compared to the regular population it's striking. This occurred to me with the news of Ragman's seconds set of twins.

Fun fact: my ex-husband is one of four children, but he is the only one who did not produce twins. Three out of four siblings have twins! How I escaped I'll never know. Also, his father is one of two sets of twins. It's crazy. All fraternal, btw- no identical twins. I'm told fraternal twins run in families, but not identical.

One good thing about being an identical twin is knowing that there are spare parts readily available if you need them. Nice, right? ;)

Fun fact: my ex-husband is one of four children, but he is the only one who did not produce twins. Three out of four siblings have twins! How I escaped I'll never know. Also, his father is one of two sets of twins. It's crazy. All fraternal, btw- no identical twins. I'm told fraternal twins run in families, but not identical.

Wow. Three sets of twins from four siblings, and all fraternal? Talk about eggs on a fire sale!

I have a friend with triplets. They all just started college. OUCH!

Joe... Both TOL and her twin sister have children who are college graduates. Kind of hard to do that if you're in your 20's. (That is why I assumed they were in their 40's, even though they look much younger).

I know well. But I learned a long time ago to ALWAYS under-estimate a woman's age, and the more inaccurate, the better! Besides, TOL could pass for late 20s and you certainly could pass as younger too.

I have twins. We had a 3-year old (boy) and a 1-year old (boy) at home, and I can vaguely remember telling my wife that if we were going to try for a girl, we needed to do it "now", circa January 2000, because I couldn't imagine waiting five years, due to how tired I was already from our oldest sons.

6 months later, I received a phone call from my wife, who said that the OBGYN's office had decided to perform an ultrasound that day. Walked into the exam room, only to find my wife, 2 midwives, and 2 ultrasound technicians in the room, along with her OBGYN, who also happened to live in our neighborhood (we both had an affinity for Friday night bourbons on the back deck together).

She asked me how I was doing, and when I replied "nervous. I want to hear it's a girl" she blurted out "well you're going to , because it's two boys..." Only time in my life I've looked for a chair to sit down in, I was so overwhelmed. All great kids, wouldn't trade them for the world, and would like to make the clock slow down some.

Interestingly, my oldest is receiving interest from SU for crew--he's 16, and only a sophomore, but can really row. His grandfather and great-grandfather were both full-scholarship members of the crew team @ SU. Makes me wish I would have listened to my dad while at Syracuse and gone out for the team, but I did not grow up in an area where we had that sport in high school. Would love to keep the bloodlines clean with my son, who also has a love for architecture. :)

Last edited:
I am the father of twins, one boy one girl. Best question I ever got was from a co-worker right after they were born. "They are boy - girl, are they identical?"
That's like adopting babies from Korea or some other foreign country and being asked "will they be able to speak English?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom