OT: WNY HS FB player dies from helmet-to-helmet hit | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: WNY HS FB player dies from helmet-to-helmet hit

Agree horrible news

Question for the board. Knowing what we know about head injuries and the risk involved with the sport. Do you let you son play?
I was thinking about this just last night. I was watching the first episodes of Friday Night Lights where the star QB gets paralyzed. My oldest son played Pop Warner for the last six years and I was his coach. He is not allowed to play in high school because we homeschool our children so for him the decision has already been made. After watching that show and reading this article, I guess there is a part of me that is becoming more comfortable with the fact that my son is not allowed to play football anymore. Never really thought I'd ever say that.

Agree horrible news

Question for the board. Knowing what we know about head injuries and the risk involved with the sport. Do you let you son play?

I would not tell my son not to.

He played both last year. This year he had to choose and I was thrilled when he chose soccer over football.

I know a lot of really hard-core football Dads, guys who played in high school and college, who are trying to emphasize sports other then football to their sons.

This is a real sea-change in the last few years.

Buddy of mine who played in college was really gung-ho about his older one playing football (currently in 8th grade). With the younger one (5th grade), he completely de-emphasized football and the younger son does not play at all.

I see this scenario playing out a lot.

I was thinking about this just last night. I was watching the first episodes of Friday Night Lights where the star QB gets paralyzed. My oldest son played Pop Warner for the last six years and I was his coach. He is not allowed to play in high school because we homeschool our children so for him the decision has already been made. After watching that show and reading this article, I guess there is a part of me that is becoming more comfortable with the fact that my son is not allowed to play football anymore. Never really thought I'd ever say that.

Would be interesting to see what the enrollment numbers are for leagues like Pop Warner compared to past decades.

Would be interesting to see what the enrollment numbers are for leagues like Pop Warner compared to past decades.
They are down big. A lot of programs in CNY have had to combine in order to field teams. You need 18 players who make weight each week or you have to forfeit. In FM where I coached, this year's Pee Wee team is just above the number and could be in trouble if a couple of kids get hurt during the season. That has never happened before. Years ago FM would have at least two teams for each division and in some years three teams in some divisions. No question the fear of head/brain injuries is the major factor in this trend.

Here's a crazy idea...take away helmets completely. Let's see players leading with their heads then. For as protective helmets are, they are also a weapon.

the only sport comparably dangerous than playing football is cheering football

my nieces are outstanding gymnasts and in the off season they get thrown around by girls twice their size who hopefully catch them

i don't know about my two year old. if mma starts allowing nut shots again, he'll put bones jones to shame

there aren't many team sports that aren't scary. baseballs hit right at the pitcher, hockey forget it

All of you parents who are relieved your kids are playing soccer instead of football might want to read this.

It was a freak thing and you probably can't do anything to prevent it aside from, maybe, something like this:

sp_0611_08_v6.jpg

I know for a fact we wrestled. I wrestled Jimmy Cunningham a few times, he was a good wrestler who unfortunetely passed on too early. As well as wrestling Brad Smith. You may be right about football and hoops though. With wrestling back then there was only small school large school...we were just below large school.

Miller was younger than me, I think my little sisters age. Maceo was from Jamestown High. Both good basketball players. I recall seeing Justin get into a game in the NCAA's on tv.

I remember when Jim Cunningham passed away. Sad. I think he made it to states one year if I remember. Brad lived right across the street from me when I was growing up. Was closer in age to his brother Brandon. Small world.

Want to fix it? Make players actually tackle. Penalize players that blast other players with no attempt to wrap up. Let's be real for a minute. The reason players get hurt is usually poor tackling technique combined with a desire to inflict damage by turning into a human missile. It is starting at the small fry level.

I remember when Jim Cunningham passed away. Sad. I think he made it to states one year if I remember. Brad lived right across the street from me when I was growing up. Was closer in age to his brother Brandon. Small world.

Yah, my younger brother wrestled Brandon. Brad and I wrestled several times. Jimmy did go to states...was a very tough kid. Sad deal about his death too.

Iowa now. I am originally from Jamestown area. Went to Southwestern. Wrestled against Westfield and Portville, we didnt play football against these schools though. In fact this was actually the first time I heard that Westfield and Brocton were combined.

I grew up mid-way between Jamestown, Falconer, and Frewsburg. I went to school in Falconer and played basketball and ran track. I broke the 19-yr-old Falconer low hurdles record in a meet in our arch-rival, which was Southwestern. Demographics have changed, so I don't know if those two schools even play any more.

I grew up mid-way between Jamestown, Falconer, and Frewsburg. I went to school in Falconer and played basketball and ran track. I broke the 19-yr-old Falconer low hurdles record in a meet in our arch-rival, which was Southwestern. Demographics have changed, so I don't know if those two schools even play any more.

I do not believe that they play any longer, but I havent lived in the area for quite some time. And yes Falconer was our biggest rival. You guys generally got the best of us in wrestling, my senior year we won though. A lot of good wrestlers have come out of Falconer. The new JCC coaches are all falconer guys. My little brother and our old high school coach revived the wrestling program a few years back, but now Robbie Waddington, Mike and Ryan Fralick are coaching the team.

Looking at your profile I see that you went to Brockport. My younger brother wrestled there. I visited friends there a lot...never a very sober time there.

Last edited:
Looking at your profile I see that you went to Brockport. My younger brother wrestled there. I visited friends there a lot...never a very sober time there.
Actually, I did my B.S. and M.S. at ESF and ran track at SU (back when it was allowed), so I have been an Orangeman for a long time. After retiring from USGS five years ago, I am continuing my career as a professor at Brockport, which is 1 3/4 hours from the Dome. :)