OT- Wow.. Crazy Story | Syracusefan.com

OT- Wow.. Crazy Story

CuseTroop

Vegas Mole Person
Mods- Feel free to stick this where ever you would like, I just started here because I figured more people would see it. I wont be mad if you move it to the OT board.

Every Friday my department holds a "Life Sciences Seminar". Normally it's scientist talking for an hour about whatever project they are working on. Today, the grad students had asked Roman Dial from the Alaska Pacific University to come up and speak. He gave a lecture titled "Science, Adventure, Family, and Friends". What an amazing story this guy has, I'll post links below.. But what really got my attention was the fact that his son went missing hiking in Costa Rica two years ago.. I googled him when I got back to my office, and this story in Men's Journal is insane. I figured I'd share it.

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/lost-in-the-jungle-the-search-for-cody-dial-20150206

I just read it. I thought they find him at the end. Thats sad.

Sad but glad if they found the body for the family's sake. I wonder if they will ever be able to determine a cause of death so long afterwards though leaving the family forever without the ultimate truth.

Certainly undertaking endeavors in the wild remote and dangerous regions of to globe must be the ultimate in feeling vitally alive and living life to the extreme, but it also comes with the attendant perils and inherent dangers than can lead to a myriad of horrible outcomes including death. Those people cut from cloth which knows no limitations are fully aware of the of those dangers but lead such lives in spite of them.

In reading the article I can't help but think of the possible torment Roman Dial may have experienced , or still may be grappling with by possibly feeling some level of responsibility for having been the role model which influenced Cody. It also must be difficult knowing that he himself having cheated death on so many occasions always emerged relatively unscathed while Cody was not as fortunate and paid the ultimate price, his life.

The article was a gripping narrative and provided a vivid picture of what it is like to set out into such a dense and fascinating corner of the world which few people ever have set foot in. I feel for the Dial family for their loss.

Mods- Feel free to stick this where ever you would like, I just started here because I figured more people would see it. I wont be mad if you move it to the OT board.

Every Friday my department holds a "Life Sciences Seminar". Normally it's scientist talking for an hour about whatever project they are working on. Today, the grad students had asked Roman Dial from the Alaska Pacific University to come up and speak. He gave a lecture titled "Science, Adventure, Family, and Friends". What an amazing story this guy has, I'll post links below.. But what really got my attention was the fact that his son went missing hiking in Costa Rica two years ago.. I googled him when I got back to my office, and this story in Men's Journal is insane. I figured I'd share it.

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/lost-in-the-jungle-the-search-for-cody-dial-20150206

I remember reading that story!

Thanks for the update Troop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom