Other European Leagues, Champions League & Europa League | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Other European Leagues, Champions League & Europa League

Liverpool should have Sturridge back for our next CL match. If we take 6 points from Basel hopefully we don't need to play him for the final group match @ Ludogorets in late November as I'm imagining their pitch will be a rock patch.
There fans are nuts, apparently...

Jose sat Diego Costa. Chelsea will still make it thru the group stage. Also, Liverpool won, Man City only lost 1-0 in Munich and Arsenal played their toughest match @ Dortmund. I still think atleast 3 Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea will get thru the group stage.

He knows now that he has to start Remy when he rests Diego Costa. I said when he signed him, Drogba can only be used for 20 minutes, looking for a header to win a game late, especially a big match. But he can't play 90 minutes on this team. He's 36 freaking years old. He doesn't have that burst to get to the ball anymore. He can still hold up and distribute well up front, and his desire can't be questioned. But he's past his prime. Eto'0 was better last year, had more left in the tank.

The problem is, any of these older players, especially, when they go to lesser leagues, the overall quality of play doesn't require them to bring out the best in their own games, and they lose that "edge". Coming back to a top league after playing lesser competition, especially in your later years, well, there's no guarantee you can get back to that level of competition.

my wolfsburg actually played a lot better than the 4-1 loss to everton today.. timmy had a hand in that. I have a dream tho we make champions lg next year.

my wolfsburg actually played a lot better than the 4-1 loss to everton today.. timmy had a hand in that. I have a dream tho we make champions lg next year.
I miss Olic. Love that man. Also it's going to be tough to beat out Schalke and Leverkusen to jump into that 4th spot. Gladbach has been impressive as well and smashed Schalke the other day (with Fabian Johnson starting for them).

NailstheCusefan12 said:
I miss Olic. Love that man. Also it's going to be tough to beat out Schalke and Leverkusen to jump into that 4th spot. Gladbach has been impressive as well and smashed Schalke the other day (with Fabian Johnson starting for them).
yea going to have to win Sunday against Leverkusen... Had couple early draws and a should have been draw with bayern

Champions League action - watched Arsenal take apart Galatasaray last night on the DVR. Maybe Wenger has hit on the right mix up front - Ozil in the hole, Sanchez on the left wing and Welbeck up front. Their interchange was very fluid against a team known for stout defense (and with two terrific attackers in Yilmaz and Pandev).

Chelsea spurned so many chances to put away Sporting Lisbon. Their first half display was outstanding. Second half was a little sluggish, but the defense tightened up nicely at the end with the introduction of John Obi Mikel for Oscar. Mikel is becoming almost like Chelsea' "closer", introduced in the last 10 or 20 minutes to shut down the opposing attack.

I am one of the few people who picked PSG over Barca in the ESPN Fantasy Football game for Champions League - and I did it before Ibra was announced as being out injured. Huge win for PSG and I am happy for a small measure of redemption for David Luiz. He got torched in the World Cup, of course, and has not gotten off to a great start at PSG. But the other night, he bossed the game. I always liked his "never say die" attitude. He seems like a great guy, so I'm happy for him. Big night for Paris. He really won over the fans with his display, including that brilliant first goal.

Champions League action - watched Arsenal take apart Galatasaray last night on the DVR. Maybe Wenger has hit on the right mix up front - Ozil in the hole, Sanchez on the left wing and Welbeck up front. Their interchange was very fluid against a team known for stout defense (and with two terrific attackers in Yilmaz and Pandev).

Chelsea spurned so many chances to put away Sporting Lisbon. Their first half display was outstanding. Second half was a little sluggish, but the defense tightened up nicely at the end with the introduction of John Obi Mikel for Oscar. Mikel is becoming almost like Chelsea' "closer", introduced in the last 10 or 20 minutes to shut down the opposing attack.

I am one of the few people who picked PSG over Barca in the ESPN Fantasy Football game for Champions League - and I did it before Ibra was announced as being out injured. Huge win for PSG and I am happy for a small measure of redemption for David Luiz. He got torched in the World Cup, of course, and has not gotten off to a great start at PSG. But the other night, he bossed the game. I always liked his "never say die" attitude. He seems like a great guy, so I'm happy for him. Big night for Paris. He really won over the fans with his display, including that brilliant first goal.

Luiz is an all or nothing type guy. The first time I saw him I thought he was the best defender in the world, and when he's on he might be, but he is prone to some of the worst errors of any center mid.

Luiz is an all or nothing type guy. The first time I saw him I thought he was the best defender in the world, and when he's on he might be, but he is prone to some of the worst errors of any center mid.

Mostly, he's just irresponsible. He takes off on these rampaging runs upfield without making sure anyone is providing cover for him. Watching him as a Chelsea fan for several seasons, those could be troubling because teams would hit us on the counter. His occasional late lapses of concentration were more understandable - that happens with any tired defenders. I also got tired of how many long diagonal balls he would hit, and how seldom they came off. But the Paris fans go crazy when he goes storming up the field (like he did at one point against Barcelona). Shows that they are a bit green compared to fans of English clubs.

Roma had the worst performance I have ever seen from a decent team at home yesterday.

Congrats to to Canadian_SU's team from Ukraine 7-0 was impressive.
Madrid vs. Liverpool should be a good one today.

Roma had the worst performance I have ever seen from a decent team at home yesterday.

Congrats to to Canadian_SU's team from Ukraine 7-0 was impressive.
Madrid vs. Liverpool should be a good one today.
Bayern was incredible, as well. Also City drew with CSKA and will have a dogfight to get out of the group. So cute when City fans complain about not being a seeded side yet have never advanced out of the group to merit such seeding.

Bayern was incredible, as well. Also City drew with CSKA and will have a dogfight to get out of the group. So cute when City fans complain about not being a seeded side yet have never advanced out of the group to merit such seeding.

I agree, Bayern was tremendous, and they have lots of injuries depleting their back line. Their interplay was tremendous, though. Goetze is brilliant in the middle of the pitch for them, and when Robben and Ribery are healthy, that's the best pair of wingers on the planet.

Real Madrid could destroy Liverpool today. I think RM and BM are playing best in Europe right now, with Chelsea just a step behind. I would put Barca fourth - their defense is much improved, but Messi is not quite Messi and Suarez has yet to be integrated into the side.

When your subbing Ribery and Khedira up 5-0 at halftime talk about depth on a squad. Bayern is one of the top 2 favorites IMO to win the CL along with Real Madrid.

Obviously Chelsea looks like the top EPL for the CL this year. I think them along with PSG, Barcelona would be the next 3 teams.

Man City actually have a good chance to advance as long as they draw @Roma. They get CSKA at home next if City wins and if Bayern wins it next match at home against Roma and City would likely advance unless Roma wins @ CSKA.

I mean... it's the truth.

European athletes don't generally do the American thing where they say they are going to win everything and hope the fans are dumb enough to believe it.

Generally if you are a big underdog in Europe you don't act like the favorite. Gerrard only said what every Liverpool fan already knows.

It was the same way with Klinsmen going into the World Cup. American sports fans get lied to so much and so often that they freak out a little bit when someone says something honest.

When your subbing Ribery and Khedira up 5-0 at halftime talk about depth on a squad. Bayern is one of the top 2 favorites IMO to win the CL along with Real Madrid.

Obviously Chelsea looks like the top EPL for the CL this year. I think them along with PSG, Barcelona would be the next 3 teams.

Man City actually have a good chance to advance as long as they draw @Roma. They get CSKA at home next if City wins and if Bayern wins it next match at home against Roma and City would likely advance unless Roma wins @ CSKA.

I still think Bayern is the best soccer team in the world. I predicted Real to win the champions league because I thought Bayern might suffer from a World Cup hangover. So far that does not look to be the case, but its still the the beginning of a long season.

I still think Bayern is the best soccer team in the world. I predicted Real to win the champions league because I thought Bayern might suffer from a World Cup hangover. So far that does not look to be the case, but its still the the beginning of a long season.

I'll still take Barca, who haven't allowed a goal in 8 leagues games, and are soon getting Saurez to go with Messi and Neymar over Real.

I mean... it's the truth.

Doesn't that strike you as about equivalent to something David Moyes would have said during his brief spell in charge at United?

Remember how Jurgen Klinsmann was pilloried for saying the US, realistically speaking, couldn't win the World Cup?

I'll still take Barca, who haven't allowed a goal in 8 leagues games, and are soon getting Saurez to go with Messi and Neymar over Real.

On paper Suarez, Messi, and Neymar should be scoring goals for fun. Its not even a situation where there are not enough shots to go around, because all three are willing passers. I'm actually really interested to see how things look for them after New Year's when they have had a little time to gel.

On paper Suarez, Messi, and Neymar should be scoring goals for fun. Its not even a situation where there are not enough shots to go around, because all three are willing passers. I'm actually really interested to see how things look for them after New Year's when they have had a little time to gel.

If you go by stats, at least 1 of every 4 shots they take will end up in the net.

Doesn't that strike you as about equivalent to something David Moyes would have said during his brief spell in charge at United?

Remember how Jurgen Klinsmann was pilloried for saying the US, realistically speaking, couldn't win the World Cup?

Not really because Moyes wasn't dealing with this Real team in their current form. It was also a player saying this vs the coach.

I took it more as Stevie telling his team mates to get their a$$ in gear and be on point. SG has been a model professional and is a life long scouser, I wouldn't expect him to blow smoke and make a fool of himself.

I was one that didn't give Klinnsy a hard time. Is it what people wanted to hear? Nope. Was it an honest assessment? Absolutely.

Some odd betting lines for Liverpool v Real

Liverpool 3/1
Draw 29/10
Real Madrid 17/20

Why wouldnt it be 3/1, 3/1, 1/1?

Real Madrid...
theyarewhowethoughttheywere_display_image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY