Otto Question | Syracusefan.com

Otto Question

Dadarules

Walk On
My daughter is a freshman at SU and told me she is going to tryout to be Otto. I am sure there are a bunch of kids trying out but I am wondering what they heck they are looking for? A friend of mine was a state champion gymnast that ended up being the Temple Owl but is that needed?

She has spirit\spunk. I mentioned in another thread that when we dropped her off my wife realized we hadn't bought her football & hoops tickets. My daughter said not to worry she bought them with her own money over the summer.

She is athletic. She played a sport every season in high school, soccer\indoor & outdoor track - 4 by 400 relay league champ and joined the SU club triathlon team already (I never thought of that as a team thing) so she could handle any physical part of it. She also truly bleeds Orange and has since she was a todler. I have pictures of her on my shoulders with her face painted and wearing an orange wig walking in front of Sadler (her current dorm) to a hoops game when she was 5.

So anyways this is long and drawn out but I know I have read of former Ottos on the board and I was checking to see if there is any advice to be given to her for tryouts. Other than carry a travel Fabreeze with her all the time if she does get it.

Thanks!

Dadarules said:
My daughter is a freshman at SU and told me she is going to tryout to be Otto. I am sure there are a bunch of kids trying out but I am wondering what they heck they are looking for? A friend of mine was a state champion gymnast that ended up being the Temple Owl but is that needed? She has spirit\spunk. I mentioned in another thread that when we dropped her off my wife realized we hadn't bought her football & hoops tickets. My daughter said not to worry she bought them with her own money over the summer. She is athletic. She played a sport every season in high school, soccer\indoor & outdoor track - 4 by 400 relay league champ and joined the SU club triathlon team already (I never thought of that as a team thing) so she could handle any physical part of it. She also truly bleeds Orange and has since she was a todler. I have pictures of her on my shoulders with her face painted and wearing an orange wig walking in front of Sadler (her current dorm) to a hoops game when she was 5. So anyways this is long and drawn out but I know I have read of former Ottos on the board and I was checking to see if there is any advice to be given to her for tryouts. Other than carry a travel Fabreeze with her all the time if she does get it. Thanks!

I don't know - but good luck to her!

I met the girl who was Otto when I was up there as a student. She said it was really fun.

I'm sure others will have better advice and the way you've described your daughter she is likely way ahead us but there are several "Otto the Orange" videos out on youtube. Looks like the biggest skill is being able to spin the costume and get your arms out the holes the right way! Best of luck to her. If my son was 2 years older your daughter sounds like his dream girl (already had bought football and hoops tickets?) that's impressive! Well done!

As a former Otto, I can tell you that the traditional tryout was a lot about improvising. Best advice is to just have fun and don't hold back.

Also worth noting is that back in my day more than half of the try out involved NOT being in the suit. The costume is kinda like beer muscles - makes you feel invincible. The best performers were the ones that could act the part while showing their face.

Good luck. Easily the best thing I did while I was on campus and will forever be an ice breaker for any situation.

As a former Otto, I can tell you that the traditional tryout was a lot about improvising. Best advice is to just have fun and don't hold back.

Also worth noting is that back in my day more than half of the try out involved NOT being in the suit. The costume is kinda like beer muscles - makes you feel invincible. The best performers were the ones that could act the part while showing their face.

Good luck. Easily the best thing I did while I was on campus and will forever be an ice breaker for any situation.

Thanks for the advice! I will pass it on to her.

My daughter is a freshman at SU and told me she is going to tryout to be Otto. I am sure there are a bunch of kids trying out but I am wondering what they heck they are looking for? A friend of mine was a state champion gymnast that ended up being the Temple Owl but is that needed?

She has spirit\spunk. I mentioned in another thread that when we dropped her off my wife realized we hadn't bought her football & hoops tickets. My daughter said not to worry she bought them with her own money over the summer.

She is athletic. She played a sport every season in high school, soccer\indoor & outdoor track - 4 by 400 relay league champ and joined the SU club triathlon team already (I never thought of that as a team thing) so she could handle any physical part of it. She also truly bleeds Orange and has since she was a todler. I have pictures of her on my shoulders with her face painted and wearing an orange wig walking in front of Sadler (her current dorm) to a hoops game when she was 5.

So anyways this is long and drawn out but I know I have read of former Ottos on the board and I was checking to see if there is any advice to be given to her for tryouts. Other than carry a travel Fabreeze with her all the time if she does get it.

Thanks!
I think that the two biggest requirements to being Otto are wanting to be Otto and being small enough to be Otto. The size thing isn't a problem for the vast majority of girls, but it's a problem for guys. I think that the height cutoff is 5'9-10".

I also was an otto - actually the first Otto. Ususally there will be a skit that is part of the tryout. Have her brainstorm props and maybe a slight custome change - salute to the Ft Drum with camo pants and an American Flag for example.

Also- have her know the history of the Mascot for thepersonal interview, I bet she could teach the judges a bit about the history of the Saltine Warrior, the Roman Gladiator, and finally the Orange. Otto was not the customes original names. Prior to Otto (named August of 1990), there was Woody and Clyde the Orange.

I also was an otto - actually the first Otto. Ususally there will be a skit that is part of the tryout. Have her brainstorm props and maybe a slight custome change - salute to the Ft Drum with camo pants and an American Flag for example.

Also- have her know the history of the Mascot for thepersonal interview, I bet she could teach the judges a bit about the history of the Saltine Warrior, the Roman Gladiator, and finally the Orange. Otto was not the customes original names. Prior to Otto (named August of 1990), there was Woody and Clyde the Orange.

Fantastic - thanks for the help!

Opie was never a consideration. Seriously. Who the heck would name a mascot "opie"??? That name was shot down as fast as it was mentioned. It was one Otto's contribution to the naming meeting and he wrote the story...

Opie was never a consideration. Seriously. Who the heck would name a mascot "opie"??? That name was shot down as fast as it was mentioned. It was one Otto's contribution to the naming meeting and he wrote the story...

There are only two Opies:

156655_f260.jpg

O3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors