Our press sucks | Syracusefan.com

Our press sucks

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
The worst thing that happened regarding the press this year is that it actually worked in one game. I honestly don't get it. It's so easy to beat a press with three guys watching the guy they are defending and not the ball. Throw it over their heads (because they won't see it coming) and you've got a fast break. Why not position one guy at the foul line watching the actual play to prevent that and then set the traps up?

I can't think of another team that throws out such an unbalanced press scheme... and I don't this approach has changed in the 30 years I've been watching SU games. I go back to the saying - if it's so effective why do we not see any other team slap on the "SU press"?

I can't think of another team that throws out such an unbalanced press scheme... and I don't this approach has changed in the 30 years I've been watching SU games. I go back to the saying - if it's so effective why do we not see any other team slap on the "SU press"?

Honestly, I prefer the press my 11-year old's team uses. Let the team inbound and then trap them. But you keep them in front of you the whole time preventing that long touchdown pass.

Rule number one is always keep the ball in front of you. You can play from the side and deny the ball and still defend the ball over the top. Our problem is that we don't expect anything from our back people. They have to come up and take away the long diagnal pass. The inbounder (Perantes) shouldn't be able to throw the ball over Roberson. There's several facets that have to come together and SU has no idea what they are doing. It's not a priority so they don't prepare for doing it. They have the athletes to be a good pressing team. We are so much more aggressive when we start going after teams. It's a coaching choice and JB gets to coach the way he wants to.

13969.jpg

idk, it's worked pretty well in the years when we've had good defensive teams and/or teams with a tiny bit of depth. It's hard to press when your players know they have to conserve energy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom