Our press tonight... | Syracusefan.com

Our press tonight...

orangecuse

Hall of Fame
I thought was exceptional and really changed the complexion of the game along with Gillon's truly remarkable performance. We were down 16 at the 8:44 mark of the second half prior to the aforementioned. Really, one of the better comebacks I've witnessed as a fan and the exuberance that comes with such.

On the flip side, my goodness are we in a world of hurt next year if we don't somehow land a point guard. In the minutes Howard played tonight, he was just insanely horrendous. Ugh! :(

Howard had a nice pass to a cutting White. Great cut by White though, Howard seemed ready to throw up a stupid shot. lol

The press was strange - I figured Smith would eat it up. He seemed to really shy away from it and dribble backwards or in place without putting any pressure on the defense. I kind of wanted us to keep it up - especially since we should have turned them over more. That one move by Smith where TT got called for a foul was preceded by Smith fouling TT with the swim move to get around him.

I thought was exceptional and really changed the complexion of the game along with Gillon's truly remarkable performance. We were down 16 at the 8:44 mark of the second half prior to the aforementioned. Really, one of the better comebacks I've witnessed as a fan and the exuberance that comes with such.

On the flip side, my goodness are we in a world of hurt next year if we don't somehow land a point guard. In the minutes Howard played tonight, he was just insanely horrendous. Ugh! :(

Your point is spot-on. The press changed the game, just like it did in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 last year. Henderson's fourth foul came as a result of the press. As you said, the team was down 16 playing exclusively zone. :noidea:

Teams constantly throw games away when facing presses. Why we don't press more regularly given that so many college teams panic when pressured is beyond me. (I get it this year; the roster limitations make that difficult. I mean mixing press in more often and consistently as a program philosophy.)

Howard had a nice pass to a cutting White. Great cut by White though, Howard seemed ready to throw up a stupid shot. lol

The press was strange - I figured Smith would eat it up. He seemed to really shy away from it and dribble backwards or in place without putting any pressure on the defense. I kind of wanted us to keep it up - especially since we should have turned them over more. That one move by Smith where TT got called for a foul was preceded by Smith fouling TT with the swim move to get around him.

Smith was uneven against the press. Freshmen often show a little panic when pressed, and his teammates left him on an island for at least two of the possessions. That suggests that either NC St. was not expecting us to press, or their players didn't execute their press break at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom