out of the box thinking | Syracusefan.com

out of the box thinking

tipphill

All Conference
this may have been discussed and i missed it. i love harbaugh (sp) having practices in florida!!!great idea and may even get some real QUALIFIED athletes.

this may have been discussed and i missed it. i love harbaugh (sp) having practices in florida!!!great idea and may even get some real QUALIFIED athletes.
I'm sure the players will be thrilled to forfeit their Spring break in support of their coach's gimmick.

As per ACC rules, I'm pretty sure we can't it. I thought that I would throw that out before anyone gets any ideas.

As per ACC rules, I'm pretty sure we can't it. I thought that I would throw that out before anyone gets any ideas.
What's the difference between practicing in Florida in the Spring and playing soldier at Ft. Drum in the summer?

I'm not doubting the rule, I'm just wondering how the rule is stated.

The problem is that yes the kid can watch them practice but the coaches can't have any interaction with these kids off campus at this point in the NCAA recruiting schedule.

We held spring practices in Rochester for a couple of years. That paid big dividends. :cool:
What do you mean, it brought us another of our legendary near miss players, Ashton Broyld. Who we can now add to the list of Idris Price, Chad Elliot, etc....

What's the difference between practicing in Florida in the Spring and playing soldier at Ft. Drum in the summer?

I believe that the ACC rule (and similar SEC rule) is that you can't practice out of state. I'm guessing that one reason is that it would give an unfair advantage to the richer programs.

Pretty sure that this is not in SU's budget.

Jim Harbaugh racked up nearly $136,000 in recruiting travel expenses over a 12-day period during his first month as Michigan's coach, according to records obtained by USA Today Sports.

According to university records acquired by USA Today, Harbaugh and his recruiting staff used a private jet from Jan. 19 to Jan. 30, 2015, and averaged more than $10,000 per day in travel expenses.

Harbaugh's contract at Michigan provides for the use of a private jet for recruiting purposes. Records show that Harbaugh, traveling either alone or with assistant coaches, made 18 trips on the jet during the 12-day stretch leading up to national signing day.

No issue with this at all. Great move as long as classes are not in session. Still trying to figure how Izzo rationalized getting the MSU hoops team to the football playoff, though. Same loophole?

No issue with this at all. Great move as long as classes are not in session. Still trying to figure how Izzo rationalized getting the MSU hoops team to the football playoff, though. Same loophole?
Except, that you're asking your players to sacrifice their Spring break.
Let's see... a week to spend time with family, take a break, go on a trip or... have football practice. One can only wonder if the walkons would have to pay their own way.

Last edited:
Moontan said:
Except, that you're asking your players to sacrifice their Spring break. Let's see... a week to spend time with family, take a break, go on a trip or... have football practice. One can only wonder if the walkons would have to pay their own way.
You don't think that they will have plenty of non-football downtime? They get a few trip to Florida. I bet a lot of them couldn't afford to pay their own way. I doubt many (if any) will be upset.

The rule for the ACC and SEC is no camps off campus.

NCAA bylaws state that football programs must host camps either on their campus, inside their state or within a 50-mile radius of campus. The loophole allows coaches to "guest coach" or work another school's camp in order to circumvent the 50-mile radius.

ACC commissioner John Swofford would like to see the NCAA step in and put a halt to the practice of guest coaching at football camps far from schools' home area. Jim Dedmon/USA TODAY Sports
Some conferences, like the Big 12 and Big Ten, allow their programs to guest coach, but the SEC and ACC bylaws prevent their coaches from doing the same.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ootball-camps-commissioner-john-swofford-says

That was as of April of 2015 .

NCAA bylaws state that football programs must host camps either on their campus, inside their state or within a 50-mile radius of campus. The loophole allows coaches to "guest coach" or work another school's camp in order to circumvent the 50-mile radius.

ACC commissioner John Swofford would like to see the NCAA step in and put a halt to the practice of guest coaching at football camps far from schools' home area. Jim Dedmon/USA TODAY Sports
Some conferences, like the Big 12 and Big Ten, allow their programs to guest coach, but the SEC and ACC bylaws prevent their coaches from doing the same.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ootball-camps-commissioner-john-swofford-says

That was as of April of 2015 .
And that is why SU doesn't have camps down in NYC like they did when they were still in the Big East.

What do you mean, it brought us another of our legendary near miss players, Ashton Broyld. Who we can now add to the list of Idris Price, Chad Elliot, etc...

Broyld was already on the team when we practiced in Rochester, I was there and watched him practice. Those practices were for the benefit of Jarron and the Jones boys.

And that is why SU don't have camps down in NYC like they did when they were still in the Big East.
I don't know what the big east policy was when we were in that conference, but according to the NCAA bylaws NYC would have been legit as the ACC is just proposing now. NYC is still in N.Y. not New Jersey;)

Ft. Drum is in NY. My understanding is that it has to do with leaving the state (or leaving the state and going to another ACC state - I'm not sure if we could do a non-ACC state). I haven't actually seen the rule myself (I've only seen it referenced on the internet), so I can't get more detailed than that.

The group is confusing SU football team practices (Ft. Drum) with camps for high school prospects. SU and the rest of the ACC is not allowed to have camps for high school prospects (like the one Shy Cullen, or Rodney Williams won their scholarship offers from) off campus. This is an ACC rule. When we were in the BigEast, Marrone did these same types of HS camps at SUNY Maritime or Lincoln High School in Brooklyn to name a few.

I don't know what the big east policy was when we were in that conference, but according to the NCAA bylaws NYC would have been legit as the ACC is just proposing now. NYC is still in N.Y. not New Jersey;)

Straight from the ACC bylaws...

. CAMPS.
Football coaching staffs may not conduct, attend, or be involved with any football camps/clinics, includingcamps/clinics for non-prospect aged individuals, during the months of June and July or any calendar week (Sundaythrough Saturday) that includes days of those months off their institution’s campus.

Coaches may attend coaching clinics off their institution’s campus at any time only when there are no prospective student-athlete’s enrolled in the clinic.

Straight from the ACC bylaws...

. CAMPS.
Football coaching staffs may not conduct, attend, or be involved with any football camps/clinics, includingcamps/clinics for non-prospect aged individuals, during the months of June and July or any calendar week (Sundaythrough Saturday) that includes days of those months off their institution’s campus.

Coaches may attend coaching clinics off their institution’s campus at any time only when there are no prospective student-athlete’s enrolled in the clinic.
So spring break is legit I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom