out of the box thinking | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

out of the box thinking

So spring break is legit I guess.
But what Harbaugh is doing isn't a camp. They are holding a Spring practice during the Quiet period. That still means they can't have contact with any kids while they are down there in Florida. So you have kids that can watch you practice but that is the extent of it. I'm not sure the cost of doing that will provide that much benefit to his recruiting. When you have Spring practice on campus the coaches can interact with the kids.

But what Harbaugh is doing isn't a camp. They are holding a Spring practice during the Quiet period. That still means they can't have contact with any kids while they are down there in Florida. So you have kids that can watch you practice but that is the extent of it. I'm not sure the cost of doing that will provide that much benefit to his recruiting. When you have Spring practice on campus the coaches can interact with the kids.
I fully understand that...And have from the beginning.There is nothing from what I am seeing that can stop Syracuse from doing that also at this time.

So spring break is legit I guess.
This Spring Break issue is PRACTICE for the Michigan University Football Team. It is not a camp/clinic. This is their spring practice and Ft. Drum all rolled up in one if you will. As CL has suggested (said) in post #7, the coaches can't talk to the prospects who might come to watch the practice

I fully understand that...And have from the beginning.There is nothing from what I am seeing that can stop Syracuse from doing that also at this time.
Sorry I was late on my post. You and CL seem on the same page. I don't see why SU can't do it too, but I don't see it happening. As it is, there are plenty of folks here who don't like Ft. Drum because it takes away from a more focused football practice with better facilities

Sorry I was late on my post. You and CL seem on the same page. I don't see why SU can't do it too, but I don't see it happening. As it is, there are plenty of folks here who don't like Ft. Drum because it takes away from a more focused football practice with better facilities

It wasn't you but some one else that was confusing camps and practices off campus.

I just don't see the benefit of having Spring practice in another state, besides it being a publicity stunt by Harbaugh, for recruiting. I do see the benefit in the Fall practice at Drum as that involves team building exercises with the military.

It wasn't you but some one else that was confusing camps and practices off campus.

I just don't see the benefit of having Spring practice in another state, besides it being a publicity stunt by Harbaugh, for recruiting. I do see the benefit in the Fall practice at Drum as that involves team building exercises with the military.
i am also on the record against this kind of stuff. Not every D-1 program has the resources and cash to do this w/o killing the budget.

Gotta give the guy credit for the attention its garnered. I think Paul Finebaum said it when asked about the SEC response to Harbaugh; just ignore him and he'll go away. He is getting the attention, which is all he really wants in the first place. He is creating an us vs. them mindset and "we don't care, because we are us". It kindof evokes the Fab Five spirit. We will wear long baggy shorts and beat your butts, which bothers you more? Its like Ken Griffey Jr. vs. Buck Showalter

Straight from the ACC bylaws...

. CAMPS.
Football coaching staffs may not conduct, attend, or be involved with any football camps/clinics, includingcamps/clinics for non-prospect aged individuals, during the months of June and July or any calendar week (Sundaythrough Saturday) that includes days of those months off their institution’s campus.

Coaches may attend coaching clinics off their institution’s campus at any time only when there are no prospective student-athlete’s enrolled in the clinic.
I've been Googling for the up-to-date ACC bylaws with no success. I've found them from several years ago. Could you please provide a link?

Pretty sure that this is not in SU's budget.

Jim Harbaugh racked up nearly $136,000 in recruiting travel expenses over a 12-day period during his first month as Michigan's coach, according to records obtained by USA Today Sports.

According to university records acquired by USA Today, Harbaugh and his recruiting staff used a private jet from Jan. 19 to Jan. 30, 2015, and averaged more than $10,000 per day in travel expenses.

Harbaugh's contract at Michigan provides for the use of a private jet for recruiting purposes. Records show that Harbaugh, traveling either alone or with assistant coaches, made 18 trips on the jet during the 12-day stretch leading up to national signing day.
College sports are insane. It really makes me question why I follow them. I'm glad SU can't do this, nor would I want them to.

Yeah, this just makes me sad. Not at all envious, just sad.

This is a weird world.

Besides sleepovers, playing football topless in his khakis, and a celebrity filled NLI Day, when has Harbaugh ever done anything for the publicity?! :rolleyes:

i am in the camp of not wanting fort drum. this is particularly true for me now, as babers needs all the time he can get to install his offense, and build coach/player cohesion. perhaps they can do just a day or two there, or bus guys in to su for a day or two. i am NOT anti military, quite the contrary. babers has a job to do. the layers need to learn jobs.

i am in the camp of not wanting fort drum. this is particularly true for me now, as babers needs all the time he can get to install his offense, and build coach/player cohesion. perhaps they can do just a day or two there, or bus guys in to su for a day or two. i am NOT anti military, quite the contrary. babers has a job to do. the layers need to learn jobs.

NCAA regulations only allow teams to have 29 on-field practices of no more than 3 hours each during the preseason. They get the same practice and/or meeting time regardless of location.

I am indifferent to the Ft. Drum practices. I recognize the public relations benefits. I hink the team/community-building benefits are probably overstated. I will be fine with whatever Babers decides.

I am indifferent to the Ft. Drum practices. I recognize the public relations benefits. I hink the team/community-building benefits are probably overstated. I will be fine with whatever Babers decides.
Just a guess but because Babers father was career Navy and Ward is now on a tour with other FB college coaches of military bases in Europe, way to pay back, we will be practicing at Drum again this year.

Just a guess but because Babers father was career Navy and Ward is now on a tour with other FB college coaches of military bases in Europe, way to pay back, we will be practicing at Drum again this year.
Makes sense

Makes sense
Not only is it a way to pay back, it's also a smart way to scout high school players in the DODDS system. I lived in Japan for five years and watched some high quality American football players who never got a chance at the "big time" because they were out of sight and out of mind.

NCAA regulations only allow teams to have 29 on-field practices of no more than 3 hours each during the preseason. They get the same practice and/or meeting time regardless of location.
thats fine. however being at ft.drum in and of itself is a distraction. they need to stay home and focus on being there and learning--everyone is new-- keep it in house and closed.

But...but...Army vs. Navy... ;)

Not only is it a way to pay back, it's also a smart way to scout high school players in the DODDS system. I lived in Japan for five years and watched some high quality American football players who never got a chance at the "big time" because they were out of sight and out of mind.
Wasn't Michael Strahan a product of this system?

why do we need to practice out of state when the games will all be in Giants Stadium in a year or 2??

thats fine. however being at ft.drum in and of itself is a distraction. they need to stay home and focus on being there and learning--everyone is new-- keep it in house and closed.

being home during camp and out chasing girls until 3am is a distraction to. fort drum.

Wasn't Michael Strahan a product of this system?
Yes. He played in Mannheim, Germany but moved to Houston TX for the fall semester of his senior year to play football and get some attention. He then returned to Germany to graduate.

why do we need to practice out of state when the games will all be in Giants Stadium in a year or 2??
Because Giants Stadium is out of state too. Hey, we can hold practices in NJ under the guise we are in the same state as the games are played and we can crush recruiting in NJ

I've always thought they should have them do fort drum before the start of fall practice, that you could send the whole staff up with them but have Strength and conditioning coaches supervise the dailys and do film review with the new extended contact rules with the rest of the staff in the evenings. Most of what they do falls under S&C anyways then maybe have the last day of Drum could be the first day of fall practice and have it be open for the fans up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom