out of the box thinking | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

out of the box thinking

this may have been discussed and i missed it. i love harbaugh (sp) having practices in florida!!!great idea and may even get some real QUALIFIED athletes.

Interestingly, Jimbo Fisher supports what Harbaugh is doing but wouldn't do it himself as players need "a mental break from the game": “I applaud the guy. He’s doing things that he has to do to be successful,” Fisher said per the Palm Beach Post. “Jim beat the rules. That’s fine. I applaud Jim for trying to do something different.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaa...m-with-michigan-s-florida-trip-182427292.html

thats fine. however being at ft.drum in and of itself is a distraction. they need to stay home and focus on being there and learning--everyone is new-- keep it in house and closed.
Why not let professional football coaches figure out what works. SU sucked before the drum practices started, so not much changed because of it.
It's a great way to give the young men a peak at what "going to war" and "brothers-in-arms" really means.

Interestingly, Jimbo Fisher supports what Harbaugh is doing but wouldn't do it himself as players need "a mental break from the game": “I applaud the guy. He’s doing things that he has to do to be successful,” Fisher said per the Palm Beach Post. “Jim beat the rules. That’s fine. I applaud Jim for trying to do something different.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaa...m-with-michigan-s-florida-trip-182427292.html

I don't think Jimbo approved of it that much...

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=News-Notes--Quotes--March-2

- Jimbo Fisher said he applauds Jim Harbaugh for the idea of spring break practice in Florida, but he didn’t understand why it was much different than speaking at IMG Academy, which Fisher and other coaches have been prohibited from doing.

“I started thinking — we can’t speak on their campus during the evaluation period and they’re allowed to practice there when no coaches are allowed to be out (recruiting)?” Fisher said. “Don’t tell us we can’t speak at a clinic there but they can practice.”

It's all just a Harbaugh-ism to try to keep the Wolverines in the headlines... which will continue, at least through their Spring break.

Meanwhile:
  1. he's not allowed to contact any of the IMG students
  2. his players miss out on Spring break
  3. his walkons are potentially alienated unless they can pony up the cash to pay for the trip themselves. I say potentially, because I'm not 100% sure. Do,SU's walkons make the trip to Fort Drum, or do they stay behind and have their own workouts back at Manley?
Within a year or two, these shenanigans will no longer be tolerated.

The Council approved a proposal applicable to the Football Bowl Subdivision that would require those schools to conduct camps and clinics at their school’s facilities or at facilities regularly used for practice or competition. Additionally, FBS coaches and noncoaching staff members with responsibilities specific to football may be employed only at their school’s camps or clinics. This rule change is effective immediately.

The Council approved a proposal applicable to the Football Bowl Subdivision that would require those schools to conduct camps and clinics at their school’s facilities or at facilities regularly used for practice or competition. Additionally, FBS coaches and noncoaching staff members with responsibilities specific to football may be employed only at their school’s camps or clinics. This rule change is effective immediately.
It sounds like this would impact any thoughts of a Ft. Drum camp as well as Harbaugh's efforts?

Fastest they've ever moved.

See what happens when the big boys get mad.

Although it only specifically lists camps and clinics, does that affect Spring Practice at all?

It sounds like this would impact any thoughts of a Ft. Drum camp...
This is a devastating blow. Would last year's team have won four games without that valuable Fort Drum experience?

Marrone used to hold a camp on Staten Island years ago. Those are now banned.

Most people don't need a ban to keep them away from Staten Island. Looking down on SI is the one thing people from New Jersey and Long Island can agree on.:)

Marrone used to hold a camp on Staten Island years ago. Those are now banned.

This was an ACC ban, prior to this new rule. SEC and ACC did not allow their teams to conduct off-campus camps. They managed to get together enough support to pass an FBS-wide ban on the practice. Mainly because they were worried about B1G teams heading south to recruit in their backyard.

The Board’s action means the camps and clinics rule currently legislated is in effect and football coaches may be employed at any camp that follows Division I camps and clinics rules.

“The Board of Directors is interested in a holistic review of the football recruiting environment, and camps are a piece of that puzzle,” said Board of Directors chair Harris Pastides, president of the University of South Carolina. “We share the Council’s interest in improving the camp environment, and we support the Council’s efforts to create a model that emphasizes the scholastic environment as an appropriate place for recruiting future student-athletes.”

The board asked the Council to consider the entire recruiting model, including potential modifications to camps and clinics participation.

Council chair Jim Phillips, a board member and athletics director at Northwestern University, said the Board's decision will give the Council an opportunity to review the recruiting environment in a more thorough way.

“It’s clear that the membership has differing views on this subject, and the Council appreciates the Board’s insights into this important issue,” Phillips said. “This review will provide an opportunity to identify the most effective ways prospective student-athletes can have their academic and athletic credentials evaluated by schools across the country."

Seems many of the ACC and Big 10 schools will be at ODU

Last edited:
Most people don't need a ban to keep them away from Staten Island. Looking down on SI is the one thing people from New Jersey and Long Island can agree on.:)
um NJ and long island? they have no right

Kids who go to the website to register will be disappointed, as it only lists an event in Bedford for that date. I guess one has to use the Constant Contact link included in the tweet.

I wonder if HCDB has used these camps previously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom