Matthew Magnan, M, Fox Lane, NY
Chase Scanlan, M, Silver Creek, NY
Jacob Walthour, LSM, Columbia, NJ
Thomas Washington, FO/M, Blake, MN

Class of 2019
Sean Donnelly, A/M, IMG Academy, FL
Zach Lee, D, Penn Charter, PA
Bryson Rhee, M, Academy of the New Church, PA

That 2018 class is so stacked, I really hope we can keep them all together. Could use some of those guys this year or next.

As for 2016 names to watch are Trimboli, Rehfuss, Porter and Strang. I like Fiorini and Wisnauskas but tough to break through all those guys ahead of them as true frosh.

That 2018 class is so stacked, I really hope we can keep them all together. Could use some of those guys this year or next.

As for 2016 names to watch are Trimboli, Rehfuss, Porter and Strang. I like Fiorini and Wisnauskas but tough to break through all those guys ahead of them as true frosh.
Wisnauskas is a feeder, so they may put him out there next season to play that role. The attack will look very different next year. Obviously 22 will be there, but after that who? Solomon, Shewell, Rehfuss? Maybe Mariano goes back to attack? Not sure.

Wisnauskas is a feeder, so they may put him out there next season to play that role. The attack will look very different next year. Obviously 22 will be there, but after that who? Solomon, Shewell, Rehfuss? Maybe Mariano goes back to attack? Not sure.

I don't think they will move Mariano because the midfield will still have ongoing depth issues, its robbing Peter to pay Paul. Its why Barber was at middie until Piroli got hurt.

As for next year I think Solomon has a good chance to start at attack with Shewell and Thorpe rotating in at the third spot. Rehfuss is a wild card in my mind, think he has a chance to play but I wonder if he will get a shot at midfield. Thorpe is the most interesting guy to me, I can't believe he hasn't gotten some more run this year.

I don't think they will move Mariano because the midfield will still have ongoing depth issues, its robbing Peter to pay Paul. Its why Barber was at middie until Piroli got hurt.

As for next year I think Solomon has a good chance to start at attack with Shewell and Thorpe rotating in at the third spot. Rehfuss is a wild card in my mind, think he has a chance to play but I wonder if he will get a shot at midfield. Thorpe is the most interesting guy to me, I can't believe he hasn't gotten some more run this year.

just guessing but what to expect but
Attack
Evans - no reason he shouldn't start, unless so unforeseeable issue
Solomon - I think he has earned it so far
Shewell, voigt, Thorpe, rehfuss (what's his stats at HC?)

Middie will be interesting.
Mariano...obv reasons (I look for him to get some tweraton mention next year.)
Salcido
Then you have the combination of the lines this year, Lane, Simmons, Weston, carlin, McKinney, and I forget the 3rd one. But add in Trimboli and the missing link this year that I expected at least 8-15 points from Romano.
And someone that steps up like Ford or dearth or fiorini

Last edited:
and the missing link this year that I expected at least 8-15 points from Romano.

Can't believe he has not been on the field this season. I wonder if it is a case of him not being ready, or rather the coaches feeling he will be a more valuable asset to the team's future if he doesn't waste a season playing abbreviated minutes.

creatorsgame said:
Can't believe he has not been on the field this season. I wonder if it is a case of him not being ready, or rather the coaches feeling he will be a more valuable asset to the team's future if he doesn't waste a season playing abbreviated minutes.

Heard something about an injury.

Always thought its 1 of three things, injury, not being ready, or coaches just saving him for next season.
What kind of injury did you hear cuseguy ??
He is redshirtting right???

Mariano is the best O player on the field next year, so I see him playing attack. Would anyone want him leaving the field for second line middies? Probably not. I see him playing both positions next year but hes on the field the whole game and my money is on attack as primary.

just guessing but what to expect but
Attack
Evans - no reason he shouldn't start, unless so unforeseeable issue
Solomon - I think he has earned it so far
Shewell, voigt, Thorpe, rehfuss (what's his stats at HC?)

Middie will be interesting.
Mariano...obv reasons (I look for him to get some tweraton mention next year.)
Salcido
Then you have the combination of the lines this year, Lane, Simmons, Weston, carlin, McKinney, and I forget the 3rd one. But add in Trimboli and the missing link this year that I expected at least 8-15 points from Romano.
And someone that steps up like Ford or dearth or fiorini

Hard to give a true prediction without knowing how much Syracuse dips into the transfer market. We have one already set and I would expect at least one more.
That said I would give the following thoughts about the offense next year

Attack - Evans, Solomon, Shewell/Thorpe/Wisnauskas/Rehfuss
The attack is the hardest to predict right now. Evans is the only returning starter so he will be there but he's an off ball guy with severe limitations (injury history looks to be playing a big role) so the other two starters will be expected to pick up the slack a bit. I think Solomon is probably a lock at this point especially if he can develop his feeding ability. The third spot is a total wild card. SU could look to the transfer or JUCO ranks here or go with what should be at least 4-5 in house options. Rehfuss decided to transfer after his first semester at HC so he didn't play in any games but he totaled some pretty ridiculous stats in his Highschool career. I think a lot will depend on what kind of jump players like Shewell and Thorpe and even Voight who is an attackmen make form this year to next. I like Thorpe a lot but with Evans already locked in as a starter, it would be tough to play two attackmen who aren't real dodging threats. I think Thorpe would be a good choice to be the direct back up to Evans when he is struggling and or needs a few possessions off. If I had to guess right now I would say Evans, Solomon, and Shewell as your starters next year with Thorpe right there. Wild cards are Winsauskas and Rehfuss. Wisnauskas can be a distributor and a scorer but even though he plays in the MIAA its still a big jump from highschool to starting at SU not to mention the people ahead of him.

As for the Midfield this to me is a lot clearer.
Mariano and Salcido should be 1st and 2nd team all americans next year and will definitely be Senior starters. Third spot could be anybody at this point. Staff did give Lane some run with the 1st line so he may get a crack but he needs to take another big step this offseason. With Salcido and Mariano's dodging ability Lane could reep the rewards of early slides with that shot of his but again he needs to take another big step forward.

I think guys like Romano and Trimboli will also be in play and also Voight if they decide to keep him at attack. Westin will be a Sr and should continue to be a veteran presence on the second line. With Romano, Hutchings, and O'reilly coming off redshirts and Trimboli amongst others coming in I wouldn't be surprised if some of the current RS middies from the 2015 class Carlin, Ford, McKinney, etc are either moved to SSDM or look to transfer. Schwasnick was already moved to SSDM and there is going to be a log jam at midfield with only a few spots open. I think Carlin could take that next step forward and McKinney appears to show the most in practice being the only one on the second line. I think Simmons is in a tight spot, without a big improvement this summer I don't see a lot of PT on the horizon.

Agree Jeremy. The midfield in 2017 will be interesting to hash out. A ton of guys, and some elder statesmen, Simmons, Weston, etc., that have been fairly quiet in their careers thus far, despite ample playing time. Young talent coming in could definitely take time away from them.

Mariano and Salcido are locks for 1st line. Think Lane probably joins them as a stand up gunner, ala Dejoe this year. Those RF are the biggest question marks for me. Carlin, Ford and McKinney. Really like Schwansick as a SSDM. Kids powerful, fast and relentless. Maybe Ford goes that way too. We lose Grimm this year, and Ciferri and Firman next year. Need to stock up here. Really like Austin Fusco, he will continue to be a player here for the next many years.

Hard to give a true prediction without knowing how much Syracuse dips into the transfer market. We have one already set and I would expect at least one more.
That said I would give the following thoughts about the offense next year

Attack - Evans, Solomon, Shewell/Thorpe/Wisnauskas/Rehfuss
The attack is the hardest to predict right now. Evans is the only returning starter so he will be there but he's an off ball guy with severe limitations (injury history looks to be playing a big role) so the other two starters will be expected to pick up the slack a bit. I think Solomon is probably a lock at this point especially if he can develop his feeding ability. The third spot is a total wild card. SU could look to the transfer or JUCO ranks here or go with what should be at least 4-5 in house options. Rehfuss decided to transfer after his first semester at HC so he didn't play in any games but he totaled some pretty ridiculous stats in his Highschool career. I think a lot will depend on what kind of jump players like Shewell and Thorpe and even Voight who is an attackmen make form this year to next. I like Thorpe a lot but with Evans already locked in as a starter, it would be tough to play two attackmen who aren't real dodging threats. I think Thorpe would be a good choice to be the direct back up to Evans when he is struggling and or needs a few possessions off. If I had to guess right now I would say Evans, Solomon, and Shewell as your starters next year with Thorpe right there. Wild cards are Winsauskas and Rehfuss. Wisnauskas can be a distributor and a scorer but even though he plays in the MIAA its still a big jump from highschool to starting at SU not to mention the people ahead of him.

As for the Midfield this to me is a lot clearer.
Mariano and Salcido should be 1st and 2nd team all americans next year and will definitely be Senior starters. Third spot could be anybody at this point. Staff did give Lane some run with the 1st line so he may get a crack but he needs to take another big step this offseason. With Salcido and Mariano's dodging ability Lane could reep the rewards of early slides with that shot of his but again he needs to take another big step forward.

I think guys like Romano and Trimboli will also be in play and also Voight if they decide to keep him at attack. Westin will be a Sr and should continue to be a veteran presence on the second line. With Romano, Hutchings, and O'reilly coming off redshirts and Trimboli amongst others coming in I wouldn't be surprised if some of the current RS middies from the 2015 class Carlin, Ford, McKinney, etc are either moved to SSDM or look to transfer. Schwasnick was already moved to SSDM and there is going to be a log jam at midfield with only a few spots open. I think Carlin could take that next step forward and McKinney appears to show the most in practice being the only one on the second line. I think Simmons is in a tight spot, without a big improvement this summer I don't see a lot of PT on the horizon.

Well I couldn't predict jucos or transfers so I didn't include "them" so I just went with what we have, did forget those RS who aren't playing.

One thing I will mention is if the attack has issues or if something crazy happens could we see Lane move back to attack?

Well I couldn't predict jucos or transfers so I didn't include "them" so I just went with what we have, did forget those RS who aren't playing.

One thing I will mention is if the attack has issues or if something crazy happens could we see Lane move back to attack?

No one can predict transfers that's why I mentioned it, certainly wasn't expecting you to try and include them.

At this point I don't see Lane moving back to attack. The team has been working with him at midfield now for 2 years in a row and while he has definitely hit some bumps in the road you can definitely see progress from last year to this year and although he had some struggles in the middle of the season he had two assists against UNC and appears to be getting more comfortable. SU right now has about 6 legit attack options for next year, I don't see them going back to Lane unless there's a crazy injury situation.

No one can predict transfers that's why I mentioned it, certainly wasn't expecting you to try and include them.

At this point I don't see Lane moving back to attack. The team has been working with him at midfield now for 2 years in a row and while he has definitely hit some bumps in the road you can definitely see progress from last year to this year and although he had some struggles in the middle of the season he had two assists against UNC and appears to be getting more comfortable. SU right now has about 6 legit attack options for next year, I don't see them going back to Lane unless there's a crazy injury situation.

I think Lane started to find his game this year. He always seemed awkward at attack but has looked much more comfortable in the midfield role.

As jr4750 suggested, running as the "gunner" next year on a line with Mariano and Salcido would create a rather formidable midfield trio.

Yeah agree.

Mariano is the best O player on the field next year, so I see him playing attack. Would anyone want him leaving the field for second line middies? Probably not. I see him playing both positions next year but hes on the field the whole game and my money is on attack as primary.
Don't tell Salcido

Salcido will be the best middie.
If he's going to be the best middie next year, he'll need to produce more consistently against the LSM. His first step gets him by the SSDM but he was inconsistent when drawing the pole.

Would like to see Mariano moved to the X attack position and Evans back to middie. It's clear that one can carry the ball from behind better than the other. Evans is an off ball player and would benefit from someone else playing QB at X. An attack of Mariano, Shewell, Solomon with other Sophs/R-Fr getting rotational time. Salcido and Evans on 1st mids with Weston, Lane, Simmons, McKinney, Carlin, Romano, O'Sullivan getting the chance to fill the 3rd spot and the others will be 2nd line. Another question will be the number of incoming Frosh that the coaches decide to red shirt. Are they red shirting players b/c they aren't ready or looking to add depth in the future? At some point you're going to need freshman to step in and make plays

Close defense loses 2/3 of the starting unit, Mellen is the only one returning. Cunningham filled in for Mellen when he was out a couple times. Tait graduates as well so the man down unit will need to find an additional pole. Do the coaches entertain the idea of moving Firman or Fusco down to close D? Will Bomberry step into a starting role?

Last edited:
If he's going to be the best middie next year, he'll need to produce more consistently against the LSM. His first step gets him by the SSDM but he was inconsistent when drawing the pole.

Would like to see Mariano moved to the X attack position and Evans back to middie. It's clear that one can carry the ball from behind better than the other. Evans is an off ball player and would benefit from someone else playing QB at X. An attack of Mariano, Shewell, Solomon with other Sophs/R-Fr getting rotational time. Salcido and Evans on 1st mids with Weston, Lane, Simmons, McKinney, Carlin, Romano, O'Sullivan getting the chance to fill the 3rd spot and the others will be 2nd line. Another question will be the number of incoming Frosh that the coaches decide to red shirt. Are they red shirting players b/c they aren't ready or looking to add depth in the future? At some point you're going to need freshman to step in and make plays

Close defense loses 2/3 of the starting unit, Mellen is the only one returning. Cunningham filled in for Mellen when he was out a couple times. Tait graduates as well so the man down unit will need to find an additional pole. Do the coaches entertain the idea of moving Firman or Fusco down to close D? Will Bomberry step into a starting role?

He’s still Syracuse’s top middie whether he produces against the pole or not. He’ll draw the pole and other mids will have to step up.

Salcido has elevated his game to be in the AA discussion next year. No other middie on Syracuse is even in the scouting report. I expect Mariano to drop down to attack.

Evans is to slow and can’t create his own shots up top. He’s not an alley dodger.

In my mind the attack is Mariano, Evans on the crease and Solomon.

At mid it’s Salcido and everyone else. Midfield imho is a mess talent wise. Playing time is wide open but it’s concerning that none of the young kids could unseat Lane or Dejoe; who were not front line mids.

I will be watching McKinney (so) and Gillis (sr) closely because I believe they have the tools.

Defense big questions. I gotta think Firman or Fusco will play in close.

He’s still Syracuse’s top middie whether he produces against the pole or not. He’ll draw the pole and other mids will have to step up.

Salcido has elevated his game to be in the AA discussion next year. No other middie on Syracuse is even in the scouting report. I expect Mariano to drop down to attack.

Evans is to slow and can’t create his own shots up top. He’s not an alley dodger.

At mid it’s Salcido and everyone else. Midfield imho is a mess talent wise. Playing time is wide open but it’s concerning that none of the young kids could unseat Lane or Dejoe; who were not front line mids.

I will be watching McKinney (so) and Gillis (sr) closely because I believe they have the tools.

I'm not saying he isn't their best mid, just saying that the next step for him will be becoming more consistent vs the LSM. As you said, he'll be on the preseason AA list so opposing teams will look to limit him by having the LSM guard him.

I would rather see Evans on the crease and Solomon on the wing or at X. End of the season he showed that he is capable of playing there.

I have to ask why is Evans wesaring#22? Is't that reserved for a big time player that can be compared to the Powells and Gaits?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom