Outlook for 2017 [Split from Recruiting Thread] | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Outlook for 2017 [Split from Recruiting Thread]

He’s still Syracuse’s top middie whether he produces against the pole or not. He’ll draw the pole and other mids will have to step up.

Salcido has elevated his game to be in the AA discussion next year. No other middie on Syracuse is even in the scouting report. I expect Mariano to drop down to attack.

Evans is to slow and can’t create his own shots up top. He’s not an alley dodger.

In my mind the attack is Mariano, Evans on the crease and Solomon.

At mid it’s Salcido and everyone else. Midfield imho is a mess talent wise. Playing time is wide open but it’s concerning that none of the young kids could unseat Lane or Dejoe; who were not front line mids.

I will be watching McKinney (so) and Gillis (sr) closely because I believe they have the tools.

Defense big questions. I gotta think Firman or Fusco will play in close.

Gillis is a SSDM he won't be moving to offense.

SU is high on several long poles who got some time this year but weren't ready for major minutes. I expect Cunningham will grab a starting spot in the fall with Bomberry and Diltz not far behind. Chavez is in the mix as well. I think Fusco could potentially bump down due to injury or if both the young guys struggle but I think that's very remote as he is the heir apparent to Firman and really starting to come on at the position. Firman will stay at LSM to good and as a SR makes little sense to move him. SU also has Helmer (highly rated guy) and Swigart at LSM or both of those two will also get a shot at close.

From an offensive standpoint I think Mariano will remain at the midfield much like Barber did this year until Piroli's injury. With him and Salcido you have two all-American potential seniors on your 1st midfield and a position of strength. Makes little sense to rob peter to pay Paul by moving Mariano and creating two so/so units versus one really good one. I expect the starting mid line to be Mariano, Salcido, and one of Trimboli, Romano, or Lane. Staff seems to have a bit of a fascination with Lane so if he takes that next step he could battle for that last spot. Romano and Trimboli will have the pedigrees and both should be ready to go in the fall.

As for Attack its murky but SU has a lot of options. Right now its Evans and Solomon for sure with Shewell and Thorpe battling for that third spot. SU has a bevy of other potential options as well including Voight, Rehfuss, Wisnauskus, or even a guy like Orazietti who redshirted and is pretty much an unknown. While there are many question marks all these guys outside of Evans are all young so the future is bright.

SU is high on several long poles who got some time this year but weren't ready for major minutes. I expect Cunningham will grab a starting spot in the fall with Bomberry and Diltz not far behind. Chavez is in the mix as well. I think Fusco could potentially bump down due to injury or if both the young guys struggle but I think that's very remote as he is the heir apparent to Firman and really starting to come on at the position. Firman will stay at LSM to good and as a SR makes little sense to move him. SU also has Helmer (highly rated guy) and Swigart at LSM or both of those two will also get a shot at close.

From an offensive standpoint I think Mariano will remain at the midfield much like Barber did this year until Piroli's injury. With him and Salcido you have two all-American potential seniors on your 1st midfield and a position of strength. Makes little sense to rob peter to pay Paul by moving Mariano and creating two so/so units versus one really good one. I expect the starting mid line to be Mariano, Salcido, and one of Trimboli, Romano, or Lane. Staff seems to have a bit of a fascination with Lane so if he takes that next step he could battle for that last spot. Romano and Trimboli will have the pedigrees and both should be ready to go in the fall.

As for Attack its murky but SU has a lot of options. Right now its Evans and Solomon for sure with Shewell and Thorpe battling for that third spot. SU has a bevy of other potential options as well including Voight, Rehfuss, Wisnauskus, or even a guy like Orazietti who redshirted and is pretty much an unknown. While there are many question marks all these guys outside of Evans are all young so the future is bright.

I mis-spoke on Gillis then, I’m thinking of someone else and drawing a blank on the name.

I don’t care who’s rated where. I’m speaking in terms of actual production.

If Firman and Fusco are your two best poles you can’t have one of them on the bench splitting time. I do believe Firman stays at midfield. Fusco moving down depends on who can step up.

Same with the offense. You can’t have both of your best returning offensive players sitting on the bench while the second line mids are in the game. Just can’t. It makes sense to keep Mariano on the field. If I’m the coach, I’m moving Mariano to attack unless someone steps up and keeps him at midfield. Until that happens I’m playing him at attack.

I mis-spoke on Gillis then, I’m thinking of someone else and drawing a blank on the name.

I don’t care who’s rated where. I’m speaking in terms of actual production.

If Firman and Fusco are your two best poles you can’t have one of them on the bench splitting time. I do believe Firman stays at midfield. Fusco moving down depends on who can step up.

Same with the offense. You can’t have both of your best returning offensive players sitting on the bench while the second line mids are in the game. Just can’t. It makes sense to keep Mariano on the field. If I’m the coach, I’m moving Mariano to attack unless someone steps up and keeps him at midfield. Until that happens I’m playing him at attack.

Desko and the staff do go by actual production as far as I can tell, I think it sometimes takes a while for them to make a move once a starter struggles (see Hill and Evans this year) but guys with higher pedigrees and awards are more likely to get a first shot based on a prior history of getting the job done.

Firman and Fusco are both good poles but there not the two best team on the team. Fusco has been practicing at LSM for 2 years and after the failed Matt Harris experiment I doubt they move him down unless there are major issues or injuries.

As far as Mariano goes again I expect him to stay where he is, the staff had plenty of chance to move him back to attack once Prioli went down and they didn't. I believe its very likely he stays at midfield as he finally got comfortable there midway through the season and really was a force up to the tail end of the season when he hit the wall. Him having to sit while the second mid line is in is offset by the fact that he will be drawing a LSM or a short stick when he is in versus the opposing teams # 1 defender for 60 minutes. Syracuse has a lot of young options at attack the staff is likely to go with them and maybe rotate Mariano their sparingly.

As everyone knows, recruiting has gotten complicated by all the options excellent players have now. I don't think this staff excels at talent evaluation- not that they are incompetent but I suspect that they don't work as hard at it as some other staffs and this part of coaching has gotten much more important in the last decade. Missing on one player, especially if you have invested a lot of scholarship money in that player, can be devastating to the program for several years. I don't know what kind of scholarship money Evan is getting, for example, but imagine this year's team with the kind of player that Evans was thought to be coming out of high school, a true number 1 attacker who could create shots on his own, draw double teams, be an immediate mismatch for whomever was guarding him, and generally create havoc for the opposing defense. Who knows what players were not recruited because of Evans?

As everyone knows, recruiting has gotten complicated by all the options excellent players have now. I don't think this staff excels at talent evaluation- not that they are incompetent but I suspect that they don't work as hard at it as some other staffs and this part of coaching has gotten much more important in the last decade. Missing on one player, especially if you have invested a lot of scholarship money in that player, can be devastating to the program for several years. I don't know what kind of scholarship money Evan is getting, for example, but imagine this year's team with the kind of player that Evans was thought to be coming out of high school, a true number 1 attacker who could create shots on his own, draw double teams, be an immediate mismatch for whomever was guarding him, and generally create havoc for the opposing defense. Who knows what players were not recruited because of Evans?
I know who, Connor Cannizzaro

RoofBeam said:

So true. The staff probably figured Evans would be an AA type of player. SU would have been a different team the last few years if he was.

Hoping whatever happens we are able to have a little more chemistry next year in terms of moving the ball around to draw slides and create opportunities for shots and dodging lanes. I don't think that's a knock on the coaches... you lose most of your offense, as we did after last year, it's hard to get the chemistry you need to stretch and pick apart a defense.

Biggest issue for next year is to find an attackman that can QB the offense. They thought Donahue would be the guy this year but unfortunately his game isn't suited for that.

If they leave Mariano at mid, why not look to invert him against the SSDM? I'm sure a converted attackman would enjoy taking the SSDM to X and looking to make a play.

Biggest issue this year was lack of chemistry on O. That's understandable due to the loss of 2/3 of your attack who played together for 3 years.

UVa has struggled to find a QB since Stanwick, Duke is 2 years removed from the loss of Wolf. It will be interesting to see what happens to ND's offense now the Kavanaugh has left.

Teams without a QB on attack don't make it to MDW

Hoping whatever happens we are able to have a little more chemistry next year in terms of moving the ball around to draw slides and create opportunities for shots and dodging lanes. I don't think that's a knock on the coaches... you lose most of your offense, as we did after last year, it's hard to get the chemistry you need to stretch and pick apart a defense.

I think Solomon will likely be that guy, he can initiate from X and has that Kevin Rice makeup. Evans is not that guy and neither is Shewell. Thorpe is a great finisher but is not a dodger or feeder in anyway so I think he can play a Keogh type role on this team or maybe a poor mans Staats. I know Wisnauskas can also play a feeding type role but its hard to ask a true frosh to come in and be the QB of an offense. I am not overly familiar with Rehfuss but I believe he is a scorer versus a feeder. Solomon has the chance to grab a big starting role next year.

i was doing a search on the Kim brothers and came across this thread. thought i'd bump it because the personnel discussion is interesting in light of how it actually unfolded.

i was doing a search on the Kim brothers and came across this thread. thought i'd bump it because the personnel discussion is interesting in light of how it actually unfolded.
What did i miss on the Kims?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom