Passing offense | Syracusefan.com

Passing offense

GoSU96

Living Legend
Taking a look at the play by play it leads to a things maybe weren't as they seem feeling.

Allen,

Started out going 7 of 9 in the first quarter for 65 yds completing passes to six different guys with three going for 10 or more yards.

2nd quarter was rough, he went o for 4.

3rd quarter he went 6 or 14 for 89 yds with one INT.

Through the next to last possession in the fourth he went 4 for 7 for 32 yds.

So before the last possession he was 17 of 34 for 189 yds and one INT. 7 of 17 completions went for more than 10 yds and he distributed the ball to 8 different receivers. For the first time out of the box that's not awful.

One place where Allen didn't help himself is that his first five attempts on first down, all in good field position, went incomplete. They hit on those it's a different game.

As for the OL there were 41 called pass plays and they gave up two sacks, both in the fourth quarter. Allen also had one scramble in the fourth were he took off because of coverage and an open field to the right, not really because of pressure. There were also two QB hurries credited to PSU. That's not bad, it's something to build on.

good point on the first downs, we were behind the chains all game

Taking a look at the play by play it leads to a things maybe weren't as they seem feeling.

Allen,

Started out going 7 of 9 in the first quarter for 65 yds completing passes to six different guys with three going for 10 or more yards.

2nd quarter was rough, he went o for 4.

3rd quarter he went 6 or 14 for 89 yds with one INT.

Through the next to last possession in the fourth he went 4 for 7 for 32 yds.

So before the last possession he was 17 of 34 for 189 yds and one INT. 7 of 17 completions went for more than 10 yds and he distributed the ball to 8 different receivers. For the first time out of the box that's not awful.

One place where Allen didn't help himself is that his first five attempts on first down, all in good field position, went incomplete. They hit on those it's a different game.

As for the OL there were 41 called pass plays and they gave up two sacks, both in the fourth quarter. Allen also had one scramble in the fourth were he took off because of coverage and an open field to the right, not really because of pressure. There were also two QB hurries credited to PSU. That's not bad, it's something to build on.

I thought the Oline was pretty good all things being considered. Did Foy get abused a couple times, yes did Robinson struggle at times, yes but all in all a good performance against a great D line. The WR situation though bears watching. A lot of those passes were short dumpoffs or screens, and dont forget the one long pass we completed early was nearly a pick six for PSU. We need to either scheme better to get our guys open down the field or force feed guys like Estime/Funderburk who have the physical skills but are lacking in other areas. To be successful Syracuse has to have an intermediate passing game, 12-25 yard passes. When we start completing some of those passes it opens up the running game and guys like Wales/Parris and the backs underneath and guys like Kobena deep.

Plus there were some drops and knock-downs at critical times.

My one big concern with Drew is his decision making. Guys with big arms sometimes think they can squeeze a pass in a tight window instead of tucking and running or throwing out of bounds. That last pick illustrates it pretty well.

Also - just saw this from Shafer on Estime:

"He's a very competitive young man," head coach Scott Shafer said on his teleconference Tuesday. "I know he was disappointed with dropping that little swing route."
Estime never saw the field again following that miscue early in the second quarter. His lone play of the day was a dropped pass.
But on Tuesday his playmaking ability was vouched for by Shafer, who said that Syracuse must continue to find ways to use Estime's talent.
It's something that could certainly come into play this weekend against Northwestern, as Shafer and offensive coordinator George McDonald open the throttle a bit to try and generate more points. When Estime gets the ball in space, few people on the football field can match his pure speed.
Does it mean handing him the ball on a jet sweep, which Estime said is his favorite play? Does it mean lining him up in the backfield a la Tavon Austin?
No one knows for sure. But it should be fun to watch.
"He's ready," Shafer said. "We just have to keep getting him the ball."

This guy could loosen up a defense - along with what Ashton was up to. Find it interesting that he went out of his way to mention Estime...

It's from a PS/Cohen article, so I don't want to give them a link. But if you're feeling like you want all the details, look it up ;).

Plus there were some drops and knock-downs at critical times.

My one big concern with Drew is his decision making. Guys with big arms sometimes think they can squeeze a pass in a tight window instead of tucking and running or throwing out of bounds. That last pick illustrates it pretty well.

Receiver needed to sit down on that route. Its a 4 verts play with the safety high. Allen threw to back shoulder like he's supposed to; if the receiver sits down and out, the corner can't come underneath for the pick there. If he was trying to squeeze it into a window, it would've been thrown in front of whoever 25 is and picked off by the safety.

As for forced balls, the first pick was more concerning and the near pick in the first half. He should've hit his tight end downfield on the near pick. As for the actual pick, it looked like he pulled it to the outside outlet pass when he saw pressure and the potential for a pick six by PSU (not that that forgives an interception, but it looks like he turned to throw immediately to his checkdown without looking to see if it was covered).

Then again, I'm obviously biased haha

Receiver needed to sit down on that route. Its a 4 verts play with the safety high. Allen threw to back shoulder like he's supposed to; if the receiver sits down and out, the corner can't come underneath for the pick there. If he was trying to squeeze it into a window, it would've been thrown in front of whoever 25 is and picked off by the safety.

As for forced balls, the first pick was more concerning and the near pick in the first half. He should've hit his tight end downfield on the near pick. As for the actual pick, it looked like he pulled it to the outside outlet pass when he saw pressure and the potential for a pick six by PSU (not that that forgives an interception, but it looks like he turned to throw immediately to his checkdown without looking to see if it was covered).

If this is all true, and I will take your word, as you obviously know far more than I ever will about the finer points of this game, it sounds as if some of the issues can be ironed out with more practice. Allen has only been here a short time, and it will take a bit longer than most of us would like for the chemistry with his recievers to yield results, but I think by the end of the season, the offense will look much more fluid and balanced. That is, as long as the line progresses as well, and I am confident it will.

I thought the Oline was pretty good all things being considered. Did Foy get abused a couple times, yes did Robinson struggle at times, yes but all in all a good performance against a great D line. The WR situation though bears watching. ...

Yes, the OL was OK in pass protection (not so great in opening lanes for the RBs). Robinson had a false start or two; and got called for an illegal block. Foy had one false start. The sack off the right side wasn't Foy getting abused -- there was a missed communication when the DT lined up directly on Foy and the DE lined up wide (no TE on that side). Foy handled the DT, but the DE came through clean.

For run blocking, we ran a majority of times off the strength of the line -- the left side, with limited success.

There was one play that has me completely puzzled. I think it was near the end of the game and it was an empty backfield and Allen made a playfake to no one, then faded back to pass. Complete waste of time.

I was most disappointed in the fact that Allen got worse - not better, as the game progressed. I would have thought he would have settled down and gained some confidence but the exact opposite happened. His inaccuracy was also surprising. Two long passes OOB, one very overthrown and even the 55 yarder to Kobena was under-thrown. For a 5th year senior who reportedly got the job on the strength of his long passing ability it was strange. Not ready to call him a bust after one game but I was surprised. The whole point of a Drew Allen is get immediate results in a one season career. I am sure the coaches are paying close attention so let's hope for improvement next week.

Just me thinking this crusty but when you're confidence is down a bit and there is very little flow it's harder to make those passes you usually make. The struggle to get plays in, having that on your mind and you just can't get the focus you need for the plays. I saw some things I didn't like and some I did. He has the tools you can see that but once it's game time can he use those said tools along with being a leader in the huddle? This we don't know yet but again, we have a very small sample study here.

As for long passes...these receivers for years on the hill have struggled with long passes they have to run too. I struggle to remember ones that have been caught that they ran under going long. Yeah, maybe Nassib was a problem with that but still, I just don't recall that many where they kick in and go get that ball.

I was most disappointed in the fact that Allen got worse - not better, as the game progressed. I would have thought he would have settled down and gained some confidence but the exact opposite happened. His inaccuracy was also surprising. Two long passes OOB, one very overthrown and even the 55 yarder to Kobena was under-thrown. For a 5th year senior who reportedly got the job on the strength of his long passing ability it was strange. Not ready to call him a bust after one game but I was surprised. The whole point of a Drew Allen is get immediate results in a one season career. I am sure the coaches are paying close attention so let's hope for improvement next week.
Not sure if anyone noticed, but Kobena bobbled the long completion which may have slowed him down even more. JK obviously has the speed we need on the outside but his hands appear to continue to be a question mark. I haven't read any critiques on his route running but he is reportedly a very good blocker so consistently catching the football must be the reason he doesn't see the field more.

Not hating on the kid - just seemed like there were a few forced throws (as you mentioned). It's concerning - but I think he'll clean it up. Don't worry - we're biased too ; ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom