Pearl immortalized... | Syracusefan.com

Pearl immortalized...

RF2044

Living Legend
...in this all-time classic by Kurtis Blow. I remember playing this and being excited about Pearl being discussed in the song [toward the end] back when I was in grade school shooting hoops in the driveway.

Last edited:
Great memories from that one. But... I don't know how to say this, but he doesn't reference Pearl Washington in that song. It's Earl Monroe he is talking about.

Great memories from that one. But... I don't know how to say this, but he doesn't reference Pearl Washington in that song. It's Earl Monroe he is talking about.

False. Especially considering that he talks about Pearl sticking it in Ewing's face.

C'mon.

I looked it up. Looks like you're correct. No mention of Ewing at all.

I used to go to dinner, then take the girl
To see Tiny play against Earl The Pearl

Wrong on both counts. There is a spoken word part of the song where they discuss Pearl--who was a college star when the song was released--taking the ball and sticking it Ewing's face.

Try listening to the song instead of just looking up the lyrics. Oh Lord

Edit--ha ha ha! Of course, the version I linked above [presumably the MTV video version] doesn't include any of the spoken word components of the song, and is a pared down version of the song. I'll search for it after my meeting in 2 minutes...

Last edited:
Wrong on both counts. There is a spoken word part of the song where they discuss Pearl--who was a college star when the song was released--taking the ball and sticking it Ewing's face.

Try listening to the song instead of just looking up the lyrics. Oh Lord

I listened to the entire clip you posted and didn't hear it, which is why I then went and looked up the lyrics. What time during the clip? If it's in there, then I totally did not catch it and you're right. Either way, not something to argue about at this time.

Just read your updated post - now that makes much more sense! :)

I listened to the entire clip you posted and didn't hear it, which is why I then went and looked up the lyrics. What time during the clip? If it's in there, then I totally did not catch it and you're right. Either way, not something to argue about at this time.

Just read your updated post - now that makes much more sense! :)

Sorry for the confusion--I'll try to find a version that has the spoken word part. I found some stuff online referencing it, but not video that has the spoken word stuff [which was a conversation toward the end of the song where a bunch of guys talking about then college stars, including Pearl, Ewing, and Michael Jordan].

Sorry for the confusion--I'll try to find a version that has the spoken word part. I found some stuff online referencing it, but not video that has the spoken word stuff [which was a conversation toward the end of the song where a bunch of guys talking about then college stars, including Pearl, Ewing, and Michael Jordan].

Sounds good. No worries! I thought my hearing was going at way too young an age for a minute there!

We listened to this song everyday when we were balling in upstate and I've never heard of the lyrics that are being referred to about Ewing and Pearl.

Looking forward to what you find.

Here it is. The 4:20 mark of the song has the Pearl / Ewing reference -- this might be an extended version, because it is 3 minutes longer than the version I originally posted above.

I had no idea that there was a shorter version, to be honest with you -- this it the one I've always heard & the one I used to listen to when I was a kid.

Last edited:
Here it is. The 4:20 mark of the song has the Pearl / Ewing reference -- this might be an extended version, because it is 3 minutes longer than the version I originally posted.

I had no idea that there was a shorter version, to be honest with you -- this it the one I used to play when I was a kid.

4:20 mark on 4/20

I guess at 4:20 pm I should take a stroll a light up in honor of Pearl

RIP

Here it is. The 4:20 mark of the song has the Pearl / Ewing reference -- this might be an extended version, because it is 3 minutes longer than the version I originally posted.

I had no idea that there was a shorter version, to be honest with you -- this it the one I used to play when I was a kid.

I'm a little late to the table but I'll back you up on this. I have an mp3 of this version. Its near the end of the song and it goes something like this "Man, did you see that boy Pearl take it up in Ewing's face? Yeah he's bad, but I like Michael Jordan"

I used to have a cassette tape of that version as well from the old "City Rhythms" show on 93Q Saturday nights (the only time rap was played on the radio in Syracuse).

i remember a lot of discussion in the production room while filming this video about the chicken suit pushing total costs over the $600 budget. in the end chicken won.
i also seem to remember a rap/soul music weekly radio show that used to air in central ny in the 80's that always opened with shannon's "let the music play" . good jams. i used to cassette tape every show. but the name escapes me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom