Pearl needs to be honored at one of two home games!! | Syracusefan.com

Pearl needs to be honored at one of two home games!!

Agree. I'm sure Coyle is on it , he's a pretty sharp guy. He'll probably spell his name right on the jersey too. Maybe a statue at the Melo center too?
JB said at the Basket Ball that he will make arrangements to ensure Pearl is not forgotten at SU. Look for something on the uniform next season to honor him and look for something permanent as well. Maybe an award for a player at the end of the season, something along those lines. I would think a statue is a distinct possibility.

JB feels really strongly about this. He wants Pearl to have a special place in the history of Syracuse basketball...

St Johns on 12/21

or Hoyas

old big east rivals, no offense to duke, you never played Pearl

thoughts comrades?
Good idea.
I would say it should be the G-town game...BUT Chris Mullin will be there with SJU.
His presence helps make it a better tribute.

And no need to worry about offending Duke.

Good idea.
I would say it should be the G-town game...BUT Chris Mullin will be there with SJU.
His presence helps make it a better tribute.

And no need to worry about offending Duke.
Would also make the St. John's game around the holidays more appealing.

I think we should add the "Pearl" script logo to the jerseys as a patch, or a "Pearl 31". I think that would look fantastic.

JB said at the Basket Ball that he will make arrangements to ensure Pearl is not forgotten at SU. Look for something on the uniform next season to honor him and look for something permanent as well. Maybe an award for a player at the end of the season, something along those lines. I would think a statue is a distinct possibility.

JB feels really strongly about this. He wants Pearl to have a special place in the history of Syracuse basketball...

Next year's jersey should have a Pearl patch on it.

Escapes me right now, is his number retired? If not, maybe it should be

It is one of the jerseys that has been honored and in the rafters but to my understanding, none of them are officially "retired." That being said, as long as JB and then Hop are coaches, I seriously doubt anyone will wear #31.

It is one of the jerseys that has been honored and in the rafters but to my understanding, none of them are officially "retired." That being said, as long as JB and then Hop are coaches, I seriously doubt anyone will wear #31.

Has a player ever asked to wear it before?

I was told that McNamara was gently discouraged from wearing his high school #31. Bing's #22 is treated the same. Every number honored after Pearl is apparently fair game, but no one seems to want to wear #44.

Briancuse said:

Anthony Harris, a highly recruited guard out of Connecticut, wore it for one season in the early 90s.

He wound up transferring after redshirting his sophomore year.

I have one of his jerseys that I picked up for about $10 at an Orangefest years ago.

Anthony Harris, a highly recruited guard out of Connecticut, wore it for one season in the early 90s.

He wound up transferring after redshirting his sophomore year.

I have one of his jerseys that I picked up for about $10 at an Orangefest years ago.

I had no idea they sold Anthony Harris jerseys. I bet you are one of the few proud owners of one of those - a real collector's item!

MSOrange said:
I had no idea they sold Anthony Harris jerseys. I bet you are one of the few proud owners of one of those - a real collector's item!

Can't be many.

I also wrote the story for my paper when he committed to SU.

Too bad his career at SU didn't turn out better. Kid was a stud in high school.

Can't be many.

I also wrote the story for my paper when he committed to SU.

Too bad his career at SU didn't turn out better. Kid was a stud in high school.

If I recall he transferred to Hawaii. JB's issue with Harris was weight and conditioning. After his career ended he was quoted as saying that JB was correct and that he made a big mistake fighting him on it and that his own stubbornness stunted his career. He said in retrospect he realized JB harped on it for his own good and wished he'd listened and stayed at SU. Sad when kids hurt themselves, their opportunities and ultimately their future.

I say go back to the script uniforms for at least a year with a 31 patch and for GTown or St John's have the name Washington on the back of every jersey. Kind of like the MLB 42 tribute to Jackie Robinson.

i'd like to see the dome darkened and the #31 laser projected overhead on the dome roof while a 10 minute pearl highlight montage is played on the court floor at the first home game . surely someone at syracuse can work out all the logistics/pyrotechnics/video laser wizardry . that would look so cool with 31 looking down and the all the great memories being replayed on the court. i saw pink floyd show in the dome. spectacular. 30 years later we should be able to do so much better. pearl deserves it.
MAKE IT SO!

I agree for this year. They should honor Pearl at home vs St. John's or Gtown.

Moving forward, I would like an annual 4 team invitational at MSG honoring Pearl. The games would always include St. John's and Syracuse, a current/old BE member (preferably Georgetown or Villanova) and an old BE member (preferably BC and occasionally UConn). Two games total would be between new and old BE members. The Invitational could raise funds towards cancer research, NYC inner city schools or development, or a charity of Pearl's family's choice.

I get that SU does not retire basketball numbers, they just honor players. However, 31 should be the first number that is officially retired and it should be part of the ceremony to honor Pearl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom