Pearl Washington's "Home Going Service" | Syracusefan.com

Pearl Washington's "Home Going Service"

cto

Administrator
Barbara Boeheim and I attended the service for Pearl today at the Christian Cultural Center in the heart of Brooklyn. Prior to the start of the service, “Pearl’s Syracuse Family” assembled as a group in the center’s lobby and walked into the chapel together. Someone had made some beautiful "Pearl" lapel pins which we were given and then wore.

And what a large family it was. Between the viewing hours yesterday and the funeral today, virtually every former player (and many former coaches) came to Brooklyn to pay their respects. I sat with Dave Bing and Bernie Fine. Barb sat with Dennis Duval, Wendell Alexis and Raf Addison. I won’t even try to name the others there … there were just too many of them….. everyone from Derrick Coleman and Sherman Douglas and Lawrence Moten to John Wallace and Sam Penceal and Sean Kerins.

Also attending were two of Pearl’s favorite opponents from the glory days of the Big East — Chris Mullin of St John’s and Ed Pinckney of Villanova … along with current and former SU coaches and coaches from other schools.

The service consisted of short reminisces from Pearl's son, Jim Boeheim, John Wallace, Wendell A, Raf A, Brandon Steiner, Pearl’s high school coach and a high school teammate….as well as some beautiful singing by some amazing voices from the Brooklyn community. It was all very emotional... and, yes, Jim Boeheim cried at the end of his remarks.

Although the service lasted for more than two hours, it seemed much shorter … because every part of it was so moving and engrossing.

Last edited:
I have to do it one more time. RIP Pearl

image.jpeg

A friend of mine said that some of the service/tributes could be heard on the radio. I'm sorry I missed it. Thanks for the write up, Joyce. I regret so much I didn't start watching SU basketball until the tournament in 1987. I missed the incomparable Pearl!

bballbeadle said:
A friend of mine said that some of the service/tributes could be heard on the radio. I'm sorry I missed it. Thanks for the write up, Joyce. I regret so much I didn't start watching SU basketball until the tournament in 1987. I missed the incomparable Pearl!

It was also carried live on local TV. TW10.

Great summary...thank you! Question was Carmelo at the service?
Unfortunately, the fact we have to ask the question probably also answers it.
We would have seen him if he was.
And the service would have gotten a lot more attention in the NYC area than it did.

Unfortunately, the fact we have to ask the question probably also answers it.
We would have seen him if he was.
And the service would have gotten a lot more attention in the NYC area than it did.

I live in the neighborhood around the corner from boys and girls high school. If Melo would have shown up it would had distracted from the services in my opinion. It would have turned into the Knicks suck and so forth and so on...

Melo would definitely have been a distraction, looks like he wisely chose to not attend
About a dozen years ago I was at a funeral for a legendary figure in broadcasting.
He was responsible for developing the careers of so many people (and I suppose ruining a few, as well).
The biggest names in TV News, radio news/talk, CEO's of major companies were all there.
We've all seen and heard them...or heard of them.

Before the service a few made a point of making sure they were seen.
It might be rude to mention any of those names (Don Imus) so I won't.

But who was the biggest name of all at the time?
Howard Stern.
The person who died was instrumental in furthering Howard's career.
Howard might genuinely have created a "distraction."
But he would have been more conspicuous by his absence.
So how did he handle it?
He waited until just before the service started...when almost everyone (besides me) was seated.
Then he came in quietly...walked up the stairs and sat in the rear of the balcony.
He paid his respects and remained inconspicuous.

What would have happened had Melo shown up for Pearl?
Someone may have taken a couple of photos?
Just as Howard would have been, Melo was far more conspicuous by his absence...at least to the SU community.

But forget my opinion.
Here's what the greatest SU basketball player ever, Dave Bing, said about being there for Pearl:

" I never got to know him very well, but coming here to this service, we are a family. It doesn't matter what generation you played in or who your teammates were..."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...yracuse_legend_pearl_washingtons_funeral.html

About a dozen years ago I was at a funeral for a legendary figure in broadcasting.
He was responsible for developing the careers of so many people (and I suppose ruining a few, as well).
The biggest names in TV News, radio news/talk, CEO's of major companies were all there.
We've all seen and heard them...or heard of them.

Before the service a few made a point of making sure they were seen.
It might be rude to mention any of those names (Don Imus) so I won't.

But who was the biggest name of all at the time?
Howard Stern.
The person who died was instrumental in furthering Howard's career.
Howard might genuinely have created a "distraction."
But he would have been more conspicuous by his absence.
So how did he handle it?
He waited until just before the service started...when almost everyone (besides me) was seated.
Then he came in quietly...walked up the stairs and sat in the rear of the balcony.
He paid his respects and remained inconspicuous.

What would have happened had Melo shown up for Pearl?
Someone may have taken a couple of photos?
Just as Howard would have been, Melo was far more conspicuous by his absence...at least to the SU community.

But forget my opinion.
Here's what the greatest SU basketball player ever, Dave Bing, said about being there for Pearl:

" I never got to know him very well, but coming here to this service, we are a family. It doesn't matter what generation you played in or who your teammates were..."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...yracuse_legend_pearl_washingtons_funeral.html
Good story Bleep. Was it Pigface?

cto Thanks for this. It sounds like a beautiful ceremony.

It's nice to see that Bernie Fine still considers himself a part of the Syracuse family, or maybe I'm overreaching and he just wanted to pay his respects to a former player.

From the posts above, sounds like Melo may not have been there. If so, there likely was a very good reason, and I assume he wished he could have been there. I don't buy the distraction idea though. Melo was/is a big part of Cuse basketball, as were many of those past players who attended. Melo would just have been another in the SU family there to pay his respects.

From what I have read about the Pearl the last couple days, I sense he would have been grateful to those who attended but not want anyone who couldn't attend, particularly a member of the Syracuse family, to be criticized. We had a tremendous presence there that which made me say I was proud to be a Syracuse fan and prefer to focus on that.

Ha... actually the nickname was a little more obnoxious.
If they ever overlapped this person would have been PV's boss several levels up at the corporate level.
One of the relatively few genuinely brilliant people in broadcast management (and a 5-time Jeopardy champ).

PV just died a couple of years ago.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...ard-stern-dead-heart-attack-article-1.1963082
Dang...can't believe I whiffed on Pig Vomit. I listened every day from 1995 to 2005 and nary a day since. Can't believe it's been a decade.

cto Thanks for this. It sounds like a beautiful ceremony.

It's nice to see that Bernie Fine still considers himself a part of the Syracuse family, or maybe I'm overreaching and he just wanted to pay his respects to a former player.

I was thinking this as well. This is the first time I think he's really come out since everything happened a few years ago. Does he stay in contact with any of the coaches up there?

I was thinking this as well. This is the first time I think he's really come out since everything happened a few years ago. Does he stay in contact with any of the coaches up there?

I believe I have read that he has attended a few of the NCAA tournament games also.

He was also at the Final Four (from which I posted a Facebook picture with him). The man bleeds Orange. It was nearly 50 years of his life. Both at the Final Four... and at Pearl's service ... it was great to see the incredibly warm reception he received from all the former players and others connected with the program. The way everyone reacts to seeing him ... really proves that the Bobby Davis claims were pure BS.

He was also at the Final Four (from which I posted a Facebook picture with him). The man bleeds Orange. It was nearly 50 years of his life. Both at the Final Four... and at Pearl's service ... it was great to see the incredibly warm reception he received from all the former players and others connected with the program. The way everyone reacts to seeing him ... really proves that the Bobby Davis claims were pure BS.

This is still my belief to this day, having been around him when I was younger. I feel badly for his kids, who have had to deal with all of fallout from this as well.

Thank you CTO. I don't have you as a friend on Facebook so I definitely missed it. Glad that everybody still supports him!