Penn State sex abuse reported as far back as 1976 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Penn State sex abuse reported as far back as 1976

nzm136 said:
What kills me is that there are still many, many people who deny that it happened. Or they'll admit that it happened, but go out of their way to downplay it as much as possible. That kills me because you won't improve if you pretend like your problems don't exist. http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefo...enn_state_player_mike.html#incart_river_index

That's exactly why the NCAA did the worst possible thing by rolling back the penalties. Leave it to them to make it worse.

Disgusting. They should remove his name from every record book. It is not surprising though.

That said, how many Catholics gave us their religion when it was revealed that their church had covered up the same sickening behavior as Sandusky's?

This following clip was from 2014.

GENEVA -- The Vatican revealed Tuesday that over the past decade, it has defrocked 848 priests who raped or molested children and sanctioned another 2,572 with lesser penalties, providing the first ever breakdown of how it handled the more than 3,400 cases of abuse reported to the Holy See since 2004.
To many fans in State College, PSU football IS a religion.

Nauseating on so many levels. But how ironic that their own greed in suing the insurer winds up killing them financially while finishing off Pederno's "legacy". And in the process exposing the fraud NCAA is. How ridiculous do they look now having restored his wins? What, are they gonna remove them again and look even more idiotic?

I always despised Paterno, going back to my SU days in the 80s. I can't even put into words how I feel about him since the Sandusky case came to light. Piece of garbage is a good start I guess..

I always despised Paterno, going back to my SU days in the 80s. I can't even put into words how I feel about him since the Sandusky case came to light. Piece of garbage is a good start I guess..
A pompous pious ass. Always.

Right, because the reports have not been substantiated in a court of law, they cannot possibly be true. Sandusky was found guilty but obviously he could not have committed any crimes before those he was found guilty of. It must be the media and the liars making claims that are causing a frenzy. (Sarcasm off)

I do believe that people should not rush to judgment but there is certainly enough fire in the past allegations to warrant a certain amount of desire for a full investigation. The PSU leadership has shown itself to be willing to cover up crimes for the sake of sins and protecting a legacy. They are as low as Sandusky, allowing molestations to continue as it there were no other coaches to fill his place, elevating a win above the life of a young one.

What is next from this university? Blame the victims for coming on to Sandusky?

Of course it is. :rolleyes:
I read some of the comments at the site, I'd like to say they're delusional but there is a part of me that feels bad for the Penn State football fans. They probably had already navigated through the 5 stages of grief and now it starts all over again. That's not to say they aren't delusional but since the university administration decided to take a stance of cover your ass there isn't anyway for them to move on. And the victims have to keep reliving the nightmare.

If the Chancellor and BOT had chosen to accept responsibility they all could have some closure. The football program there needs to come to an end.

Right, because the reports have not been substantiated in a court of law, they cannot possibly be true. Sandusky was found guilty but obviously he could not have committed any crimes before those he was found guilty of. It must be the media and the liars making claims that are causing a frenzy. (Sarcasm off)

I do believe that people should not rush to judgment but there is certainly enough fire in the past allegations to warrant a certain amount of desire for a full investigation. The PSU leadership has shown itself to be willing to cover up crimes for the sake of sins and protecting a legacy. They are as low as Sandusky, allowing molestations to continue as it there were no other coaches to fill his place, elevating a win above the life of a young one.

What is next from this university? Blame the victims for coming on to Sandusky?

What is next from this university? Blame the victims for coming on to Sandusky? - Why not? JoePa apparently did.

I guarantee his wife knew as well, and probably adopted the one kid to keep him away from her natural kids.

Yegorange said:
Nauseating on so many levels. But how ironic that their own greed in suing the insurer winds up killing them financially while finishing off Pederno's "legacy". And in the process exposing the fraud NCAA is. How ridiculous do they look now having restored his wins? What, are they gonna remove them again and look even more idiotic?

Solid points

When all of the dirt has come out I'd love to see Joe Paterno return on the stand to be confronted with the evidence and give honest answers.

I suspect that he didn't believe the initial allegations and from then on chose to keep digging and burying evidence. I can understand the initial reaction (disbelief that one of his buddies could do anything like that), but once reports and evidence started to mount he should've done the right thing. He had over 40 years to do so. Inexcusable!

And to think... some "smart" PSU BoT people convinced the others to try to recoup some/all of the victim payments by filing insurance claims... only to have that blow up in their faces and, at least from a public perception standpoint, relive the whole scandal again.

The NCAA should've dropped the bomb the first time around... I suspect that they'll do nothing now, although I suspect the prior agreement agreement was based on PSU providing all known dirt... PSU lied, yet again.

Last edited:
I guarantee his wife knew as well, and probably adopted the one kid to keep him away from her natural kids.

She had to have known, I know the whole spousal privilege thing, but how does she enable this to go on, why didn't she go to the cops.

Barron said few crimes are as heinous as child sex assault, and the university is committed to prevention, treatment and education.
But he said he had "had enough of the continued trial of the institution in various media."

Well FU.

The allegations are "unsubstantiated and unsupported by any evidence other than a claim by an alleged victim" but we paid him millions of dollars in an out of court settlement anyway.

Is it clear to anyone when the settlement payments were made from the allegations in the 70's? I assume since the scandal came out but they don't state specifically.
the settlements happened after the conviction of Sandusky. Once it became known he was a serial pedophile and he operated for decades under the PSU banner, the university knew an onslaught of lawsuits would come. Once Sandusky was convicted, from the victim's perspective, it would be easier to prove that their allegations were true. Since PSU didn't want to get involved in many lawsuits at once, they set aside a pool of money for settlements and started receiving and vetting claims.

I don't have the stomach to go to PSU blogs and read their rationalizations. I find the entire fanbase to be abhorrent and sickening in the way they (as a group, there are certainly individual exceptions) have rallied around JoPa and the program and have been delusional (and I mean that in the most sincere meaning of the word) in blaming everyone but the program. If you go back and read the grand jury report, the victim who came forward and launched the whole thing suffered tremendously at school and in the community for speaking out about the abuse. Horrible, gut wrenching, stuff.

ANYWAY, that was a digression. I imagine the PSU folks will say that just because there is a settlement doesn't mean there is an admission of wrongdoing. That is true. However, in any scenario like this, money grabbing opportunists always turn up. The school isn't just blindly rubber stamping any allegation of sexual abuse and cutting checks. There is due diligence in checking out the claim, and if the school thinks there is enough merit to the claim that they would be in danger of losing in front of a jury, they will settle. So while it is technically true that a settlement isn't an admission of wrong doing, it is also disingenuous to hide behind that fact as a way of saying there is no way to take any meaning from the fact that PSU settled cases going back to the early 70's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom