peter king tidbit about stadium sizes | Syracusefan.com

peter king tidbit about stadium sizes

just passing along, i think some of what he says is goofy with regard to buffalo but that's besides the point

even NFL teams are talking about smaller stadiums. SU can reduce capacity, it's fine

Campus Life with Jim Harbaugh | The MMQB with Peter King

They are TV studios.

There's no need to cater to ticket buyers. Reduce capacity,ladle on the perks, and charge premium prices. It's all about the margins.

The fact is that kids are impressed by large crowds at games.

The chance to play before 30,000 folks is what makes SU BB so attractive.

And that is part of why OSU, Michigan, PSU, and the rest are appealing to young football players.

I want the Dome to hold at least 50,000 for FB. That figure has some measure of gravitas.

And that is part of why OSU, Michigan, PSU, and the rest are appealing to young football players.

I want the Dome to hold at least 50,000 for FB. That figure has some measure of gravitas.
we are never going to compete with those schools on attendance, not even worth worrying about - what can we do about that?

be different. we can fill that dome with 35k spread out a smidge from each other

That figure only holds "gravitas" if there are 50,000 people who fill the seats regularly.

Having that capacity and having less than 40,000 average attendance holds squat - and makes the Dome look terrible on TV.

Decrease capacity, increase price and, if the program gets good again, increase demand. Make it a hot ticket in town and increase revenue.

Supply & demand. It works.

Last edited:

There are only about 10 schools that go 80-100k. Less dome seats=increased individual seat value, making fans not wait until a fall sat morning to decide if they want to see excellent college football, in a great facility, watching the only p5 team in the state play. All of the newest charming baseball stadiums are about 35-40k in capacity and the fans love it.

There are only about 10 schools that go 80-100k. Less dome seats=increased individual seat value, making fans not wait until a fall sat morning to decide if they want to see excellent college football, in a great facility, watching the only p5 team in the state play. All of the newest charming baseball stadiums are about 35-40k in capacity and the fans love it.
baylor stadium looks so much bigger than its capacity

LOOKED

DbSLEy.gif

I just see it differently than you do.

I find nothing inconvenient or uncomfortable about watching football in the Dome - other than the heat in September.

I just don't believe for example, that theater seats would have drawn more fans to the Dome during the past two seasons. Indeed, the seats or the toilets or the concession stands have not deterred fans from attending major ACC BB games in massive numbers over the past few years.

And, nothing you have mentioned changes my mind at least that the 30,000 fans that watch BB in the Dome is what made SU BB what it is today - the appeal of playing in front of that many people is very compelling.

And, in this instance I am more concerned about what attracts athletes - big time capacity attracts athletes.

Baseball is different than college football. Comparing a 162 game schedule and the entire composition of MLB to SU Football is not in my mind a good one.

And finally, I don't know the numbers, but I am pretty sure that there are many schools that seat 80,000 to 100,000 fans.

In college football your are judged by your stadium capacity. I don't want SU Football to be presented as less than a major program.

That figure only holds "gravitas" if there are 50,000 people who fill the seats regularly.

Having that capacity and having less than 40,000 average attendance holds squat - and makes the Dome look terrible on TV.

Decrease capacity, increase price and, if the program gets good again, increase demand. Make it a hot ticket in town and increase revenue.

Supply & demand. It works.

I don't think it's about supply and demand.

It's about winning.

The BB team wins and attracts huge crowds - not because of limited seating - but because of the success.

I don't mean to be flippant but using your analysis, the stadium should be downsized to 25, 000 - that would assure large crowds because of the limited supply of tickets.

The problem is that athletes would look at a crowd of 25, 000 and head immediately to the schools that attract 80,000 to 100,000 fans.

The answer is getting better players and winning games. Once that happens the fans will return - quickly.

I find nothing inconvenient or uncomfortable about watching football in the Dome - other than the heat in September.

I just don't believe for example, that theater seats would have drawn more fans to the Dome during the past two seasons. Indeed, the seats or the toilets or the concession stands have not deterred fans from attending major ACC BB games in massive numbers over the past few years.

And, nothing you have mentioned changes my mind at least that the 30,000 fans that watch BB in the Dome is what made SU BB what it is today - the appeal of playing in front of that many people is very compelling.

And, in this instance I am more concerned about what attracts athletes - big time capacity attracts athletes.

Baseball is different than college football. Comparing a 162 game schedule and the entire composition of MLB to SU Football is not in my mind a good one.

And finally, I don't know the numbers, but I am pretty sure that there are many schools that seat 80,000 to 100,000 fans.

I agree in part, i have said for the last 10-15 years that you aren't gonna get closer to a college fb game at any other venue than the carrier dome! That said , with the renovation, 44-46k could be awesome and fun.

i would hope that SU has run the number though.

Bball draws 30k 1-2 times a year against the best of the best, it draws 25K for the best of the rest and under 20 for everything else. after 20K the seat quality starts to go down. so what if the capacity was 28K and they were all good seats, would they actually sell more season tickets if you couldnt get into any game at almost any time and more seats had good views?

does the same apply for fball , almost all the seats are decent, there is no demand so no need to buy season tickets, it looks empty and people notice it.. so downsize, make it look fuller, make it sound better, and make the amenities better, does 35k become 40K and then when the team gets better we get closer to the 45K with demand for more?

They are TV studios.

There's no need to cater to ticket buyers. Reduce capacity,ladle on the perks, and charge premium prices. It's all about the margins.

It's not altogether true.

My firm was retained by an NFL team last year seeking ways to bring more value to local area sponsors and help them bring more value to season ticket holders+ to go to the game.

That's the type of revenue kept and creates a healthier, more vibrant organization. They offered reducing the annual sponsorship for a national brand - from $1.5m to half that - in return for giving season ticket holders who attend extra value by using its product/services BASED ON ATTENDING games.

Ticket buyers matter. Even the non corporate ones and atmospheres are meaningful.

Reducing capacity for single-use stadiums is a no-brainer. The multi-purpose ones have many masters to serve (e.g. gun for an Olympics bid, concerts, etc.) but you do not need as many seats...but the seats you have should have butts in them.

At the least, just get colored seat backs on the lower level side that the TV cameras face for games. I hate watching games and seeing so much aluminum. Converting only the one side could minimize losses in capacity.

We'd lose too much capacity if we go individual seats in the whole dome. I think we'll see 30k for hoops and 44-46k in football.

Last edited:
Count me as a man who like a reduced seating to 44,444 and increase space perks and yes, price.

Create more amenities in the stadium by reduced seating and make things worthwhile and event worthy

keep the seats the way they are. Just change the pricing.. if you're big enough to occupy 2 seats, you need to be paying for 2 seats.

College football attendance in general has been trending downward since 2009. I'm not Kreskin, but my guess is the downward trend will not reverse itself in the near future...and maybe never.

But...we certainly will/can draw bigger crowds on average if we can be competitive...like winning more games than we lose for a change.

I doubt that we'll ever average much over 40k.

A couple of recent news tidbits:

Boston College, Washington State, Kansas, Wake Forest and Duke were the only Power 5 schools with lower average attendance figures than Syracuse.(2015)

Syracuse football saw a 21 percent decrease in attendance during the 2015 season, the largest decline among Power 5 schools over the last year.

In college football your are judged by your stadium capacity. I don't want SU Football to be presented as less than a major program.
after years of less than mediocrity, no amenities in the world would entice me to get season tickets again until we have a winning product. i believe that the current administration is SINCERE in investing the program(not like the previous administrations). to see is steady improvement. when that happens i will re-invest in the program without regard to size of stadium,theater seats, concession stands etc. i may draw the line though if they remove the pee troughs.

after years of less than mediocrity, no amenities in the world would entice me to get season tickets again until we have a winning product. i believe that the current administration is SINCERE in investing the program(not like the previous administrations). to see is steady improvement. when that happens i will re-invest in the program without regard to size of stadium,theater seats, concession stands etc. i may draw the line though if they remove the pee troughs.

If they do, they better replace them with something more efficient than what already exists! There's gotta be an engineer out there that will embrace the challenge...

OrangePA said:
I just see it differently than you do. I find nothing inconvenient or uncomfortable about watching football in the Dome - other than the heat in September. I just don't believe for example, that theater seats would have drawn more fans to the Dome during the past two seasons. Indeed, the seats or the toilets or the concession stands have not deterred fans from attending major ACC BB games in massive numbers over the past few years. And, nothing you have mentioned changes my mind at least that the 30,000 fans that watch BB in the Dome is what made SU BB what it is today - the appeal of playing in front of that many people is very compelling. And, in this instance I am more concerned about what attracts athletes - big time capacity attracts athletes. Baseball is different than college football. Comparing a 162 game schedule and the entire composition of MLB to SU Football is not in my mind a good one. And finally, I don't know the numbers, but I am pretty sure that there are many schools that seat 80,000 to 100,000 fans. In college football your are judged by your stadium capacity. I don't want SU Football to be presented as less than a major program.

In CFB you're judged by wins and conference affiliation. Capacity is interesting, but as a direct influence on a games outcome (and wins) - give me crowd noise over sheer number of people.

If we win in our division of the ACC, it will be very loud in the dome. People will think very highly of our major program.

I looked it up.

There are twenty college stadiums with a capacity of 80,000 or more.

And there a more with capacities of 70,000.

I am all for amenities and comfortable seats, but I never want Syracuse University Football to be perceived as a lower tier program.

And if you can only hold 40,000 fans you will be viewed by athletes as lower tier or certainly not upper tier.

I believe in the notion that if you build it they will come. If Dino wins - and is able to beat or compete with Clemson and FSU on a consistent basis - similar to the BB team - he will sell a lot of seats and we will need greater capacity.

In CFB you're judged by wins and conference affiliation. Capacity is interesting, but as a direct influence on a games outcome (and wins) - give me crowd noise over sheer number of people.

If we win in our division of the ACC, it will be very loud in the dome. People will think very highly of our major program.

I'm not suggesting that crowd size dictates game outcomes. Great players bring wins.

I am suggesting that large capacity venues attract great players.

The ability of the BB team to attract 25,000 to 30,000+ fans for games is a huge selling point to young players. That dynamic transformed the BB program from a strong regional power, to a national power.

Kids want to play in front of large audiences.

Downsizing the Dome for football because some people want theater seats or larger concession stands is, in my opinion, a mistake.

OrangePA said:
I'm not suggesting that crowd size dictates game outcomes. Great players bring wins. I am suggesting that large capacity venues attract great players. The ability of the BB team to attract 25,000 to 30,000+ fans for games is a huge selling point to young players. That dynamic transformed the BB program from a strong regional power, to a national power. Kids want to play in front of large audiences. Downsizing the Dome for football because some people want theater seats or larger concession stands is, in my opinion, a mistake.

We'll never compete with the Penn States and the Clemsons of the world on capacity - we lose in that category and have for a very long time.

I'd cede that fight to have a back on my chair and a better game day experience.

keep the seats the way they are. Just change the pricing.. if you're big enough to occupy 2 seats, you need to be paying for 2 seats.
doesn't work that way. I'm 145lbs and I barely fit between the numbers. The seat width was determined in the 70s add in years of everyone eating like crap and being lazy the average butt has gotten bigger then the seat. Somewhere on google was a story on this topic. The average person today unfortunately is larger then they were when the domed opened. Personally I'm blaming dome dogs and beer :)